[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sieper

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Ohndie Morrie. Great player, with him you can also see the storm in your head that tennis can be. Incredibly hard sport in that regard.

But back on topic, and this is not a slight on Russell who clearly is quick. But JA isn’t talking total BS. And I am not a fan of Bottas at all. He did outqualify Russell. Yeah not by much. But so did neither Verstappen and yet they locked out front row. And at the start you could clearly see Russell did much better, has better car control and race craft, also in the first stint Russell was managing the gap and seemed to have reserve still. But after the first pit stop (why was Bottas kept out 3 laps longer losing 2 secs per lap on his old yellows?) Bottas was closing in. Might be team politics, discussed. Don’t drive faster then needed, keep a 3-5 sevs gap at max, who knows, but Bottas was closing in. After the second pitstop Bottas was put back on the same White he came in on (whilst loosening a minute or so for no reason at all and Russell got almost new yellows after the second pitstop in a row. At restart he had a humongous tire advantage. And then later on almost new reds he had an advantage so big humongous doesn’t even cover it anymore. So how much faster was he really, how can we compare?

Again, not trying to downplay Russell, or unplay Bottas but described above are facts that need to be taken into account.

PlatinumZealot

Bottas couldnt get any fresh mediums because Russell had them half way down the road! Lol

They made the best decision to put him back in hards. Bottas lost too much temperature and the tyres weren't brought in back properly after that. Pretty much a downward spiral.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moore77

https://the-race.com/formula-1/russell- ... -hamilton/
Wolff said there is a “very special surprise” planned for its team members this weekend in the form of a slightly revised car design.

“We’ll be running a slightly different livery on Saturday and Sunday featuring everyone’s name on the car to honour the huge commitment and determination from everybody in Brixworth and Brackley,” said Wolff.

“Everyone has pushed hard this year, raising the bar through this massively intense season, and we hope this gesture goes some way in showing the appreciation we have for everyone involved.”
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

littlebigcat

I really hope its a digitally produced vinyl wrap like for Hockenheim last year, rather than painted on graphics. Otherwise those poor guys in the paint shop having to weed a thousand names with an average of 12 characters, that would be at least 12000 tiny pieces of vinyl to pick out from the masks before they can be put on bodywork and painted.

adrianjordan

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 23:01
But Lewis was never universally loved to in his country until years after he left Mclaren.
I still don't think he is. There are some who simply don't want to support him due to his skin colour, STILL. There are also those who do not like him for other reasons, for instance his activism, his outspoken nature and probably any number of other reasons.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NathanOlder

adrianjordan wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 14:08
PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Dec 2020, 23:01
But Lewis was never universally loved to in his country until years after he left Mclaren.
I still don't think he is. There are some who simply don't want to support him due to his skin colour, STILL. There are also those who do not like him for other reasons, for instance his activism, his outspoken nature and probably any number of other reasons.
Mostly idiots in my opinion. Lewis could be considered the best sportsman the country has ever produced, yet so many dislike him. Most reasons I hear go on about his residency in Monaco. Thsts why they preferred Jenson or DC. They do this while totally ignoring the fact both Jenson and DC moved to Monaco before Lewis #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

piast9

Any news about Hamilton recovery from COVID-19? I remember the statement that to be able to come to Abu Dhabi after begin positively diagnosed with COVID-19 you have to pass 4 consecutive tests made day after day with negative result. So if Lewis Hamilton wanted to take part in the GP he'd have to pass it on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today is Thursday.

PlatinumZealot

piast9 wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 16:32
Any news about Hamilton recovery from COVID-19? I remember the statement that to be able to come to Abu Dhabi after begin positively diagnosed with COVID-19 you have to pass 4 consecutive tests made day after day with negative result. So if Lewis Hamilton wanted to take part in the GP he'd have to pass it on Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Today is Thursday.
Yes he will race.

He is covid negative in multiple tests. He is not part of the public. His movements are tightly controlled so he will be OK to entre the paddock.

George better return those jerseys! Lol
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

e30ernest

Must say I'm a bit disappointed Russell won't get his second chance this weekend. But it really isn't any surprise that Lewis would do everything to race this weekend. He's a fierce competitor after all.

godlameroso

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 02:13
Bottas couldnt get any fresh mediums because Russell had them half way down the road! Lol

They made the best decision to put him back in hards. Bottas lost too much temperature and the tyres weren't brought in back properly after that. Pretty much a downward spiral.
Checo had no such issue with his hards.
Saishū kōnā

nzjrs

godlameroso wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 02:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Don't know how large the effect is, but the (good, non-crofty) commentators mentioned that because bottas tires went through a race temperature -> cool in 60s pit stop -> race temperature heat cycle, they were ruined.

godlameroso

nzjrs wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 02:09
godlameroso wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Don't know how large the effect is, but the (good, non-crofty) commentators mentioned that because bottas tires went through a race temperature -> cool in 60s pit stop -> race temperature heat cycle, they were ruined.
That makes sense, good sticky road tires lose a lot of their grip after they heat cycle, on some cars the heat cycling happens just driving on the expressway. Unfortunately a good grippy tire that resists heat cycling has been on back order for months now.
Saishū kōnā

PlatinumZealot

godlameroso wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:

Checo never pitted. And didnt have his brake cooled by blower.

Australian? commentators explained it quiet well. They pretty much said Bottas tyres were spoiled.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Fulcrum

e30ernest wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 00:58
Must say I'm a bit disappointed Russell won't get his second chance this weekend. But it really isn't any surprise that Lewis would do everything to race this weekend. He's a fierce competitor after all.
I suspect Hamilton didn't like the sudden shift in attention either. If Russell had outraced Bottas again, the media hype surrounding Russell would have escalated, making the situation at Mercedes more awkward.

Hamilton will want to thrash Bottas this weekend to ensure any comparisons that are made are in his favour.

e30ernest

Fulcrum wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 05:29
e30ernest wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 00:58
I suspect Hamilton didn't like the sudden shift in attention either. If Russell had outraced Bottas again, the media hype surrounding Russell would have escalated, making the situation at Mercedes more awkward.

Hamilton will want to thrash Bottas this weekend to ensure any comparisons that are made are in his favour.
Yeah I was being subtle when I said "fierce competitor". He's looking at Russell as a competitor and would rather have Russell back to the Williams and the attention back to himself at the season ender. I fully expect Hamilton to come in swinging this weekend. The only way to hold him back is if his Covid break somehow breaks his momentum or if he's not 100% physically fit (he can test negative while still having some after effects of Covid).