Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
DarthPlagueisTheVise

Re: Mercedes W11

Don't know if I should be posting this here but merc now can start their engine with the mgu-k!
Technical Noob

DarthPlagueisTheVise

Mylesk wrote:
11 Dec 2020, 12:07
DarthPlagueisTheVise wrote:
04 Dec 2020, 15:34
Mercedes has a new steering wheel the shape is different at the top
Any word of Mercedes trialing this wheel again today?
They did trial it multiple times both in fp1 and fp2
Technical Noob

bosyber

11 Dec 2020, 15:15
Don't know if I should be posting this here but merc now can start their engine with the mgu-k!
Well it is something on the car right? (though might be in PU thread?); Interesting how that just showed up this weekend. I wonder if perhaps Mercedes decided to take the risk and implement that before the end of the year, test it this weekend (maybe also in young driver test, so they can then get it nailed for next year?). Clearly a useful box to tick, though they didn't need it today.

DarthPlagueisTheVise

bosyber wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 18:09
11 Dec 2020, 15:15
Well it is something on the car right? (though might be in PU thread?); Interesting how that just showed up this weekend. I wonder if perhaps Mercedes decided to take the risk and implement that before the end of the year, test it this weekend (maybe also in young driver test, so they can then get it nailed for next year?). Clearly a useful box to tick, though they didn't need it today.
yep
Technical Noob

F1NAC

Dunno if it was posted but here it is, Ted explaining the working pronciplenof the DAS system ( after Merc cleared him to tell)

So nothing to do with gears

hUirEYExbN

F1NAC wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 19:12
Dunno if it was posted but here it is, Ted explaining the working pronciplenof the DAS system ( after Merc cleared him to tell)
So nothing to do with gears
https://streamable.com/4xqlk0
Isn't this basically what was suggested by numerous people here? It sounds familiar, so I assume it was.

lio007

Hm...AFAIR Merc is the only team, that hasn't tested a '21-spec floor in FP. They recently said, they are fine with wind tunnel testing. I wonder, if they found a loophole and real-life testing with solutions like the other teams have already tested wouldn't make any sense in their case. I.e. they have a completely different solution, which they don't want to show.

tangodjango

lio007 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 07:40
Hm...AFAIR Merc is the only team, that hasn't tested a '21-spec floor in FP. They recently said, they are fine with wind tunnel testing. I wonder, if they found a loophole and real-life testing with solutions like the other teams have already tested wouldn't make any sense in their case. I.e. they have a completely different solution, which they don't want to show.
Highly possible. If they are confident they will have a big margin over Red Bull they might not even show their complete package at Winter testing because once the season starts there will be very minimal in season development due to 2022.
“Hamilton’s talent is perhaps even more than that of Ayrton or Schumacher or Fernando." - Rubens Barrichello

Big Tea

tangodjango wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 08:59
lio007 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 07:40
Highly possible. If they are confident they will have a big margin over Red Bull they might not even show their complete package at Winter testing because once the season starts there will be very minimal in season development due to 2022.
So when do they decide 'that' is the base car from which anything else is a mod?
If the car they run in test is one configuration, and they bring a different one to race one, then decide it is not what they want, can the go back to some point in the past (from then) or is anything at all considered a mod?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

pierrre

First person to say DAS was created for tyre temperature purposes is a journalist from auto motor und sport, Tobi Grüner. said he heard from the grape vine. He tweeted hours after DAS was exposed on 20th february. must have some decent link within

ncx
ncx

FP1, HAM with DAS, BOT without:

zibby43

Looks like Merc sacrificed some pace in Abu Dhabi in order to run some 2021 items for the post-race test.

Modification made to Merc's front suspension for Abu Dhabi (a test item for 2021):

"As shown in the illustration above, a change has been made to the anti-roll bar connecting rockers, which strays away from a shape that’s been used for several seasons now, in favour of a smaller and more lightweight solution.

The catalyst for this change is likely to do with the incoming regulation changes and the new tyre construction being introduced by Pirelli for next season. The difference in construction not only means the shape of the rubber is slightly different, but it also alters the way you build core temperature within the tyre and how you look after the tread platform."

"Interestingly, the change in tyre shape for 2021 may force Mercedes to make further alterations to its front suspension too, as the upright extension that it has used for several years places the wishbone in close proximity to the tyre’s sidewall.

In preparation for this, it has sleeved the end of the upper wishbone with a polystyrene cover to prevent damage when testing the new tyres. This also allows the surface to be shaved away by the tyre, giving a clear indication of how close it can position its wishbone before it fouls the tyre’s sidewall."

And some more info (new radiator layout, lower PU mode used, etc.):

"Meanwhile, it’s believed the team also installed the experimental radiator layout that was briefly tested on Valtteri Bottas’ car at the Sakhir GP, owing to the same rear bodywork and cooling outlet being selected as was used in that test. It’s understood that this new layout was designed to work in conjunction with next year's power unit.

Therefore, to maintain reliability, the team was likely forced to run in a lower power setting than would ordinarily be the case. This was perhaps underlined by the Mercedes pair being the slowest in the top speed trap during the race."

Full article:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/merc ... t/4930906/

DarthPlagueisTheVise

Brilliant article by The Race on the W11

https://the-race.com/formula-1/how-merc ... nk-it-had/
Technical Noob

Big Tea

25 Dec 2020, 13:58

beyond those changes, there were also dynamic gains, particularly with unlocking what Lewis Hamilton had been calling for by making the car rotate more quickly at corner entry

So it seems driver can influence the design of a car
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

aMessageToCharlie

Big Tea wrote:
25 Dec 2020, 22:45
25 Dec 2020, 13:58

beyond those changes, there were also dynamic gains, particularly with unlocking what Lewis Hamilton had been calling for by making the car rotate more quickly at corner entry

So it seems driver can influence the design of a car
I'd argue that every driver on the grid would be calling for the team to make the car go faster round the corners, but sure, yeah, Hamilton is great.