Alonso drives Renault R25 at Yas Marina Circuit

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Alonso drives Renault R25 at Yas Marina Circuit

Fia should have put it on the timing and provide the fans with mini-sectors versus the Renault.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

jjn9128

Toto's views on the run
When you look at the TV pictures, it looked like they were going much faster [than the current cars]. So there is something to learn. I believe there is always something to learn.

I don't think anybody regrets from Formula 1 to have had the car out there, because we need to analyse now that we saw it live what is so attractive? Is it the audio and visual experience that makes it attractive? But then I saw the pictures without the sound, and it still looked great, so why is that? We need to analyse that.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

hUirEYExbN

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 17:41
Toto's views on the run
When you look at the TV pictures, it looked like they were going much faster [than the current cars]. So there is something to learn. I believe there is always something to learn.

I don't think anybody regrets from Formula 1 to have had the car out there, because we need to analyse now that we saw it live what is so attractive? Is it the audio and visual experience that makes it attractive? But then I saw the pictures without the sound, and it still looked great, so why is that? We need to analyse that.
I watched it first muted, it looked good, it looked fast and exciting. I don't care about sound/music/noise in general, so there has to be more to it than just "muh noise".

nokivasara

jjn9128 wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 13:22
I think it's quite telling about the state of modern f1 that a lot of folk were more excited by a 15 year old car doing some demo laps than the actual race.

Is it a load of oldies with rose tinted specs on? Or is it that f1 really is missing something?
I wonder how much the length of the car affects this? The limousines they run now are hideous compared to pretty much any era car IMHO. I like the wider cars, or at least tyres, I remember how odd the 1998 cars looked when they got that much narrower all of a sudden. The old cars look amazing, like a handful to handle. I think that is what I like about them.
Kind of like in MotoGP when the 4-strokes were introduced, I´ll never forget how Capirossi tried to cling on to the very nervous Ducati coming out of corners.
Todays cars maybe are too good, too easy to drive?

Morteza

I agree, the photos look awesome. The yellow font of Pirelli goes so well with the livery too!

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

jjn9128

nokivasara wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 18:42
I wonder how much the length of the car affects this? The limousines they run now are hideous compared to pretty much any era car IMHO. I like the wider cars, or at least tyres, I remember how odd the 1998 cars looked when they got that much narrower all of a sudden. The old cars look amazing, like a handful to handle. I think that is what I like about them.
Kind of like in MotoGP when the 4-strokes were introduced, I´ll never forget how Capirossi tried to cling on to the very nervous Ducati coming out of corners.
Todays cars maybe are too good, too easy to drive?
I think it's 50:50 length and weight - in terms of perception. Length makes more downforce and a more stable car, weight makes the cars slow (comparatively) to change direction.

I think "the cars are too good" is probably about right, they're too perfect. I was watching the "best onboards" from Abu Dhabi and the drivers barely look like there's any effort in driving vs the Alonso onboards and the car's twitching and nervous where it looks like he's having to manhandle the car for want of a better word.

2022 isn't going to change/solve any of what is missing :(
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

Morteza wrote:
17 Dec 2020, 18:49
I agree, the photos look awesome. The yellow font of Pirelli goes so well with the livery too!
Hells yes!!! For first time in a while my desktop isn't a wind tunnel.
#aerogandalf

ringo

Banning refuelling is the root of all the evils we have in F-1 today.
For Sure!!

jjn9128

ringo wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 00:03
Disagree. There was no refueling between '84 and '93.
#aerogandalf

Jolle

ringo wrote:
all those overtakes in the pitlane were thrilling. Just follow the other driver and "do it in the pit"

I think those years were very boring with ontrack action.

Just_a_fan

ringo wrote:
Refuelling was awful. It was all "try to pass in the pits". You could time between the on track overtakes with a calendar.

Dull, dull, dull.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 00:50
ringo wrote:
Refuelling was awful. It was all "try to pass in the pits". You could time between the on track overtakes with a calendar.

Dull, dull, dull.
Instead, we have waddling whales full of fuel passing in the pits from the tyre "undercut".. :roll:

Great trade off there... :wtf:

strad

good point there. =D>
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Mogster

Zynerji wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 00:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
ringo wrote:

Dull, dull, dull.
Instead, we have waddling whales full of fuel passing in the pits from the tyre "undercut".. :roll:

Basically we had the teams actively pursuing strategies to keep the cars away from each other. Even the teams thought it was a boring way to go racing...

The cars are already carrying a lot less fuel than they used to in the V10 era.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 00:53
Just_a_fan wrote:
ringo wrote:

Dull, dull, dull.

Some of the fastest cars in F1 history and there is good on track overtaking. Other than at junk tracks like Abu Dhabi. Otherwise, you're spot on.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.