2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ozan

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

possible solution suggestion changes to the Yas Marina circuit layout. what do you think?

LHamilton

Pretty sure FIA wouldn't allow the changes of 5-6-7 and 11-12-13 on the basis that the run-off area would be to small and there is little you can change do largen the distance of the run-off area due to the stadium. In both corners, you approach with high speed and if anything were to go wrong and you end up going straight on, there is little time for you do brake, or do anything before you find yourself on a collision course with the wall/whatever is protecting the wall.

Maybe the 11-12-13 corner would be doable, but I don't think 5-6-7 will ever happen. Or at least, I'd be very suprised if it did.

ENGINE TUNER

Ozan wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 14:15
https://imguploads.net/images/2020/12/2 ... rJumbo.jpg

possible solution suggestion changes to the Yas Marina circuit layout. what do you think?
As previously mentioned, runoff issues exist in at the 5/6/7 complex, but if they pull the apex closer it can be accomplished. Turn 8 needs to be tighter to create better passing opportunities. Turn 11 also needs to be tighter and your solution causes runoff issues. Your changes at 20/21 serve no purpose and actually delete what is a challenging and interesting double apex corner which currently catches out even the best drivers now. A change to turn 1 is necessary to provide more passing opportunities there.

Mogster

Yas Marina is just such an utterly dull place to watch motor racing, I don’t see how re-profiling a couple of corners is going to change that. In fact I’m interested to see how long Liberty will put up with this awful venue as the season finale...

In spending $1bn trying to facilitate overtaking Tilke neglected to include any decent corners (OK, maybe T3). The Mugello and Imola events demonstrated that even if overtaking is difficult you can still make the cars look amazing, somehow Yas Marina makes modern F1 cars look pedestrian, even at 200mph. I think the takeaway message is firstly make your track good to drive, then look at overtaking opportunities.

AnthonyG

Ozan wrote:

Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

notsofast

The general public, watching the race on TV, saw several cases of driver A overtaking driver B into one corner, and then driver B (almost or successfully) taking the place back on the next corner. Where else do we see this? Yes, it is theoretically possible at other circuits, but where has it really happened this season, and this often? From an entertainment perspective, it's probably not too bad. I don't see Liberty Media pulling out of Abu Dhabi.

Maybe one possible tweak would be to draw a straight line from turn 16 to turn 20.

ENGINE TUNER

notsofast wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 02:03
The general public, watching the race on TV, saw several cases of driver A overtaking driver B into one corner, and then driver B (almost or successfully) taking the place back on the next corner. Where else do we see this? Yes, it is theoretically possible at other circuits, but where has it really happened this season, and this often? From an entertainment perspective, it's probably not too bad. I don't see Liberty Media pulling out of Abu Dhabi.

Maybe one possible tweak would be to draw a straight line from turn 16 to turn 20.
That occurs because of 2 successive drs straights, which doesn't occur often.

I'm pretty sure they want to continue going thru the hotel.

PlatinumZealot

Ozan wrote:

5-6-7 won't fly. No run off.

Like ur concept but I would change 11 to 13 to give the outside driver more chance to come back on the racing line after the braking point. So i would move turn 11 upward and widen it so it is more obtuse angled... That way the inside driver does not have a strong foot to block the racing line.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏