McLaren MCL35

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
SmallSoldier

Re: McLaren MCL35

littlebigcat wrote:
ScrewCaptain27 wrote:
03 Dec 2020, 20:02
And teams can and will paint parts trackside if they need to.
I'd be interested in if you have a source on that? Because I've never heard of paintshop staff being part of the travelling crew let alone some sort of mobile paintshop that goes to continental races let alone flyaway ones.
There is a fabrication and paint team that travels with the team... They can repair CF parts and of course paint if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

godlameroso

I just noticed something, they have airflow stagnation, next year, they should open up a bit, that area that has the thick streaks behind it, the bargeboards are choking airflow, too close to the chassis.

Saishū kōnā

Macklaren

https://www.mclaren.com/racing/team/jam ... a-qa-2020/

Adding this here as well. Good detail on the 2021 MCL35M and even the 2022 car

diffuser

godlameroso wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 20:55
I just noticed something, they have airflow stagnation, next year, they should open up a bit, that area that has the thick streaks behind it, the bargeboards are choking airflow, too close to the chassis.

https://files.catbox.moe/0t7zn6.jpg
That picture is from when they just left the pits. The later picture (f1rules) shows a picture from a little later in the lap.

trinidefender

diffuser wrote:
22 Dec 2020, 02:19
godlameroso wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 20:55

https://files.catbox.moe/0t7zn6.jpg
That picture is from when they just left the pits. The later picture (f1rules) shows a picture from a little later in the lap.
As usual he is guessing. The CFD eyes remember :lol:

f1rules

Someone referred to this AMUS article, and finally got down to reading it, and it a nice piece, as always, Allison is just great to explain these subjects. The interesting part for Mclaren is this. It took merc three years of focus, to solve their relative weak frontend. On the way sacrifying a bit of peak frontend df in fast corners, but in return getting a more stable/even performing platform that keeps the "tires happy" in their prefered operating window.

Das Ausradieren dieser Schwäche ist nicht nur letzten Winter passiert. Wir arbeiten seit 2017 daran. Der 2017er Mercedes war beeindruckend in schnellen Kurven, aber etwas peinlich in langsamen. Es war ein stufenweiser Prozess, dorthin zu kommen, wo wir jetzt sind. Schon das 2019er Auto war im Rennen sehr ausbalanciert in allen Arten von Kurven. Elementar war zu verstehen, wie der Reifen auf dem Asphalt Grip entwickelt, abhängig vom Asphalttyp, vom Abtrieb, der Reifentemperatur und der Gummimischung. Der Abtrieb kommt von der Aerodynamik, der Masse des Autos, dem Gewichtstransfer, wie Federn, Stabis und Dämpfer abgestimmt sind. Die Aerodynamik arbeitet nie gleich. Sie ist abhängig von der Position des Autos. Wie es in den Kurven rollt, sich nach vorne und hinten neigt, wie stark die Vorderräder eingeschlagen sind, von der Bodenfreiheit.

Diese Matrix ist die Basis für das Aerodynamik-Kennfeld. Sie zeigt, wie sich auf dem Weg des Autos durch eine Kurve der Abtrieb vorne und hinten ändert. Die Kunst ist es, den Abtrieb vorne und hinten immer so hoch wie möglich zu halten, wie es der Kurventyp gerade verlangt.
Darauf haben wir uns in den letzten drei Jahren konzentriert. Wir haben einen Weg gefunden, in dem die aerodynamische Plattform so arbeitet, dass die Reifen zufrieden sind, die vorderen nicht vor den hinteren verschleißen oder umgekehrt. Das hat uns in den langsamen Kurven verbessert, und dort liegt die meiste Rundenzeit. Was haben wir dafür aufgegeben? Den Spitzenwert des Anpressdrucks in schnellen Kurven auf Strecken, wo die aerodynamische Hauptlast auf dem Vorderreifen liegt. Da fliegen wir nicht mehr so wie früher, sind aber immer noch gut genug.