[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
toraabe

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

etusch wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 10:56
velizare wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 10:40
godlameroso wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 02:26

Perez has been driving Mercedes engines since he went to Force India. He's been using Mercedes engines and tracking their progress since the start of the hybrid era. His feedback is very valuable.
i think its too late for change anything serious regarding the engine.
it is possible that perez can be technical interest about these cars and could be talked about it with engineers but would be very strange if perez has tech and design knowledge about merc pu and it's ers side, especially that level that can change Honda engineer's plans to make a design change, he could just know deployment strategy which is already known better by engine manufacturers by gps analysis I think.
I think we just expect him to be fast and make good feedback for car behaviours
He will be very valuable in mapping the engine on test days.

NathanOlder

I can't believe a driver can have enough knowledge on the actual PU to make much difference. Plus Perez only drove for a customer team, so those Mercedes engineers at the back of the garage aren't exactly going to explain everything to him. They want info from him, not the other way round. If he drove for Mercedes then maybe a bit more, but not Racing Point. If he can tell the Honda engineers how to do anything, then they are not good enough for Honda.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Moore77

NathanOlder wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 12:01
I can't believe a driver can have enough knowledge on the actual PU to make much difference. Plus Perez only drove for a customer team, so those Mercedes engineers at the back of the garage aren't exactly going to explain everything to him. They want info from him, not the other way round. If he drove for Mercedes then maybe a bit more, but not Racing Point. If he can tell the Honda engineers how to do anything, then they are not good enough for Honda.
I don't think Mercedes shares the working mechanisms and secrets of the PU even with their own drivers. Except the level of Competency, they wouldn't know a thing. Drivers are a moving commodity and as such, would mostly be kept out of inner sanctum of design offices. Being a driver in customer team, Perez wouldn't possibly know any details of the PU except for the drivability, fuel efficiency and surfacial stuff like that. He can provide a comparative feedback on the feel of two PUs though, once he drives.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

etusch

toraabe wrote:
23 Dec 2020, 11:54
etusch wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 10:56
velizare wrote:
21 Dec 2020, 10:40

i think its too late for change anything serious regarding the engine.
it is possible that perez can be technical interest about these cars and could be talked about it with engineers but would be very strange if perez has tech and design knowledge about merc pu and it's ers side, especially that level that can change Honda engineer's plans to make a design change, he could just know deployment strategy which is already known better by engine manufacturers by gps analysis I think.
I think we just expect him to be fast and make good feedback for car behaviours
He will be very valuable in mapping the engine on test days.
can you show us an example. It can be your guess as we don't have direct knowledge about teams.
I don't think Honda has issues with mapping. They have driveability maybe. But main things needed to be developed for more competitiveness are power and clipping and these are engineering things. If Hamilton and bottas both would work for Redbull, I don't think they can bring good amount of knowledge especially about engine. If they didn't lie they were even not have knowledge about their engine detuned at last race.

Racer X

Helmut said the information Perez brings is valuable. They will never tell us what that is. It could be nothing it could be just a bluff. Or it could be that Perez can help with mapping or maybe even more.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

lio007

Helmut Marko @ Gazzetta dello sport:

“Of course we need a freeze on the engine regulations, but I would also say that it is Formula 1 that needs it to reduce costs. At the moment we are waiting for the decision from the FIA and Liberty. Once that has happened, we will get to work on it. Honda is helping us enormously. We know we take a risk, but that's part of the Red Bull philosophy: if we don't take risks, we are not having fun. That's the plan. We cannot start all over again. We should use all the experience we can get from Honda.”

Bill

which tires will f1 use next year ,they one they tested in barhrain or 2019s .these will shape up the championship battle next year

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

godlameroso

If you can count to 4 you can develop rhythm.

Most music is 1 2 3 snare drum.

Breaks are 1, 2, pause, 3,4.
Saishū kōnā

rogazilla

I can see feedback from drivability but as far as where harvesting happens and where clipping is on the straight, I agree with others that everyone could see it through GPS tracing already. Do F1 driver really get involved with mapping? This is not just ICE mapping but also torque fill with ERS, I don't see how driver really get involved in the nitty gritty. To make transition smooth in adding ERS torque fill and let it fade before harvesting maybe more of a drivability but does driver really get to know the detail on the PU mechanically to provide any useful information?

Zynerji

Did TelCel sign as a RBR sponsor yet?

Might be new title sponsor? TelCel Red Bull Racing?🤔🤔

lio007

Zynerji wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 17:29

Don't know if it would be a good fit. There is already "Red Bull Mobile" on the car.

Wouter

Zynerji wrote:
24 Dec 2020, 17:29

I don't think so. The contract is only for one year.
The Power of Dreams!

Zynerji

Meh. Their rear wing is empty for 2021. I'm sure a 1 year deal with TelCel could be a thing. Even with RedBull Mobile on the car, TelCel is very regional. One could almost forget that they were Aston Martin Red Bull Racing with a Honda powertrain... RBR is no stranger to seeming sponsorship contradictions.

Theoretically, Carlos Slim could offer to fund the powertrain development post 2021 if there is no freeze, securing an additional 3yr deal for Checo in the process.

If Horner hasn't been on the phone with him yet, I'd eat my shirt. Slim has bankrolled Checo on losing teams for a long time now. I'd bet he'd spend HUGE to finally be with a winning team, and want to lock it in for several years.

I'd expect that a deal like this is really why Perez got the seat in the big picture of RBR and its future.
Last edited by Zynerji on 25 Dec 2020, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

lio007