Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
FDD
FDD

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

"The new thermal engine is already giving about fifteen horsepower more than the "deflated" unit of 2020 and the goal is to reach thirty before the homologation date thanks to the introduction of a new intercooler and the improvement of the hybrid with an MGU-K that will be able to increase the delivery time of electric power over the lap."

ryaan2904

FDD wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 01:36
"The new thermal engine is already giving about fifteen horsepower more than the "deflated" unit of 2020 and the goal is to reach thirty before the homologation date thanks to the introduction of a new intercooler and the improvement of the hybrid with an MGU-K that will be able to increase the delivery time of electric power over the lap."
I read this one too. I think this article is bullshit. Just the words of someone twisting already available knowledge and spewing his own crap out of it.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

What I don't understand about the new PU is why decrease the turbine size? Also, does the decrease in turbine size mean a decrease in compressor size too?
In the Honda thread, its been discussed already how honda uses the ICE to charge the batteries. Ferrari itself used the extra ICE power back in 2019 to increase deployment/recovery via MGU H.
If the 'superfast' combustion system already saves you fuel, why not use the saved fuel to charge the battery and subsequently address the turbo-lag?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

FDD
FDD

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 06:22
FDD wrote:
I read this one too. I think this article is bullshit. Just the words of someone twisting already available knowledge and spewing his own crap out of it.
These all is speculations according to me, I want only to present what is published for members of the forum to have better insight let's say...

FDD
FDD

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 09:58
What I don't understand about the new PU is why decrease the turbine size? Also, does the decrease in turbine size mean a decrease in compressor size too?
In the Honda thread, its been discussed already how honda uses the ICE to charge the batteries. Ferrari itself used the extra ICE power back in 2019 to increase deployment/recovery via MGU H.
If the 'superfast' combustion system already saves you fuel, why not use the saved fuel to charge the battery and subsequently address the turbo-lag?
I do not understand nothing about new ICE :D and it is hardly that any of us will understand very much in near future.
PS I understand about Ferrari ICE from MS time, these days thanks to interviews of Pino D'Agostino
This is one of the interviews

ryaan2904

FDD wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 17:46
ryaan2904 wrote:
FDD wrote:
These all is speculations according to me, I want only to present what is published for members of the forum to have better insight let's say...
Ofc, I didn't mean to say anything rude to you, its just Georgio piola is so very frustrating at times. He starts with hard facts in that article (facts verified by binotto or atleast aligned with other sites) and then, towards the end he goes into some of his own tangents #-o
CFD Eyes of Sauron

LM10

FDD wrote:
Binotto told that they are aiming to finish 3rd behind Mercedes and Redbull next season. A power increase of only 30 hp would not go hand in hand with this aim I'd say.

FDD
FDD

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 19:23
FDD wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 17:46
ryaan2904 wrote:

Ofc, I didn't mean to say anything rude to you, its just Georgio piola is so very frustrating at times. He starts with hard facts in that article (facts verified by binotto or atleast aligned with other sites) and then, towards the end he goes into some of his own tangents #-o
I am fully aware that u did not mean to say anything rude to me :)

godlameroso

ryaan2904 wrote:
Reducing the size of the turbine means more backpressure and more runaway boost pressure aka boost creep as well. Which would require more aggressive MGU-H harvesting, especially if you choose to not run a wastegate.
Saishū kōnā

ryaan2904

godlameroso wrote:
30 Dec 2020, 20:49
ryaan2904 wrote:
Reducing the size of the turbine means more backpressure and more runaway boost pressure aka boost creep as well. Which would require more aggressive MGU-H harvesting, especially if you choose to not run a wastegate.
I think Ferrari is planning to blow the wastegates (I think they'll have 2 instead of the 1 in 2020) just like Redbull does. More backpressure means more wastegating.
With the floor changes next year, it makes sense to maximise the diffuser efficiency by exhaust blowing.
Maybe the smaller turbine helps with torque in traction zones..? Idk. But it'll definitely help with exhaust blowing if they want to do it.
IF they are doing it next year, it'll be quite interesting to compare Honda vs Ferrari exhaust blowing.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

lio007

There is also a tweak in the 2021 regulations: it is allowed to remove the wastegate and it's pipes.

PlatinumZealot

ryaan2904 wrote:
That's rubbish, the turbine size will not be decreased. They lack ICE power. So it should be the same or bigger next year. They will have more than enough to provide the MGUH when the ICE improves. No need to sacrifice any ICE power with a small turbine.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ryaan2904

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 05:48
ryaan2904 wrote:
That's rubbish, the turbine size will not be decreased. They lack ICE power. So it should be the same or bigger next year. They will have more than enough to provide the MGUH when the ICE improves. No need to sacrifice any ICE power with a small turbine.
Didnt Binotto himself say that Ferrari are reducing the turbine size to increase efficiency?
CFD Eyes of Sauron

PlatinumZealot

No... No such specifics are given out by Ferrari.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Zynerji

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Jan 2021, 05:48
ryaan2904 wrote:
Reducing parasitics is like gaining power.

As with all things, it's the overall outcome of the "whole" that matters.