Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
djos

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

strad wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 23:47
My rate is 8.14¢/kWh
Thanks for the advice.
WOW, at those prices I wouldn't bother with solar, unless it was something you really wanted to do.

My rates are 14c kWh off-peak and 29c kWh peak, so it makes sense financially for me.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

Greg Locock wrote:
14 Dec 2020, 23:54
djos - I get 20c from the horrible AGL. That means I only pay them one month a year, the rest of the time they pay me.
I looked at AGL, but they would get me on the other end with higher daily and usage charges.
"In downforce we trust"

Greg Locock

Yup, 31 c /kWh and $1.40 per day, from memory. Works for me tho.

djos

Greg Locock wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 00:51
Yup, 31 c /kWh and $1.40 per day, from memory. Works for me tho.
Ouch, I pay 14c kWh off-peak (11pm-7am & WE's) and 29c kWh peak and $1.08 Daily charge.
"In downforce we trust"

strad

The power company often tells us we get a good deal compared to most places. It is almost totally hydro electric production.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
15 Dec 2020, 01:12
The power company often tells us we get a good deal compared to most places. It is almost totally hydro electric production.
Well, they are certainly telling the truth on that count! And you are getting nice pollution-free, renewable power too!
"In downforce we trust"

Ferry

54,3% BEV market share I Norway 2020.
https://insideevs.com/news/464304/norwa ... mber-2020/

Edax

strad wrote:
10 Dec 2020, 23:25
IF I lived somewhere like Arizona it would be interesting. However where I live in the winter I don't get enough sunlight to charge a solar powered security light.
It is interesting though.
Couple of questions I would have is how long do the solar panels last and how much does it cost to replace them.
That depends a lot. First thing I would look at is the electronics. Good invertors will last over 15 years, but cheap offers usually come with crap electronics and you likely be looking at big repair bills along the way.

Second is the material mono and polysilicon can last over 20 years others like Cigs panels still have to prove themselves and I do have some worries there.

Further you would have to look at your personal situation. For instance if you have trees around you have to look at the electrical configuration, shadows and leaves are a nuisance for yield but can also wear out your panels faster depending on how they are wired. Also if you live in an area with hail you want to look at the glass. One hailstorm can destroy years of savings (been there).

It is not one answer. It pays to get yourself informed and take the best option for your situation and not go for the cheapest offer. Then 15+ years should be no problem.

One way to get really good panels is to look at sales from solar farms. They replace the panels when they get out of population, which is still perfect for many years of domestic use.

I also have an issue in winter but I have a combination of solar and wind (co-owned) In winter wind tends to offset solar so that I end up net zero all year round.

Greg Locock

The Norwegian EV incentives:
No purchase/import taxes (1990-)
Exemption from 25% VAT on purchase (2001-)
No annual road tax (1996-)
No charges on toll roads or ferries (1997- 2017).
Maximum 50% of the total amount on ferry fares for electric vehicles (2018-)
Maximum 50% of the total amount on toll roads (2019)
Free municipal parking (1999- 2017)
Parking fee for EVs was introduced locally with an upper limit of a maximum 50% of the full price (2018-)
Access to bus lanes (2005-).
New rules allow local authorities to limit the access to only include EVs that carry one or more passengers (2016)
50 % reduced company car tax (2000-2018).
Company car tax reduction reduced to 40% (2018-)
Exemption from 25% VAT on leasing (2015)
Fiscal compensation for the scrapping of fossil vans when converting to a zero-emission van (2018)
Allowing holders of driver licence class B to drive electric vans class C1 (light lorries) up to 4250 kg (2019)

humble sabot

As a point of reference re; the title of this thread; i recently got a gig driving a delivery truck that’s all electric. It’s a converted Isuzu from an outfit called Nordressa. It’s essentially last mile commercial delivery with some crosstown highway. Round about 200km, over 8-12 hrs depending, and then gets plugged in at the warehouse at the end of the day. For the task at hand it does better than the original diesel version. The lack of engine vibration really helps to reduce fatigue on long shifts.
the four immutable forces:
static balance
dynamic balance
static imbalance
dynamic imbalance

Brake Horse Power

Audi stops the development of internal combustion engines. I can imagine they have EURO7 spec ready for the next decade but still a strong signal.

Andres125sx

Zero emissions ICE under development, the idea is to extract nitrogen from the air before the combustion so only oxigen is burnt, using a ceramic membrane.

As they say it will be difficult to use on small cars but perfectly doable for trucks, trains, etc which are the most difficult vehicles to electrify

Sorry it's spanish

djos

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 11:11
Zero emissions ICE under development, the idea is to extract nitrogen from the air before the combustion so only oxigen is burnt, using a ceramic membrane.

As they say it will be difficult to use on small cars but perfectly doable for trucks, trains, etc which are the most difficult vehicles to electrify

Sorry it's spanish

https://youtu.be/Md2E4t0bvHo
That doesn’t make any sense to me! Nitrogen is iirc a key ingredient in combustion, it’s one reason chemical super charging (nitrous oxide) is so effective.
"In downforce we trust"

Just_a_fan

djos wrote:
08 Apr 2021, 11:55
Andres125sx wrote:

Sorry it's spanish

That doesn’t make any sense to me! Nitrogen is iirc a key ingredient in combustion, it’s one reason chemical super charging (nitrous oxide) is so effective.
Nitrous oxide isn't about the nitrogen, it's about the oxygen. The oxide bit.

Nitrous oxide is N2O. It breaks down to give nitrogen (N2) and an oxygen atom that can burn a fuel molecule.

In an ideal set up, you'd just use fuel and oxygen to give perfect combustion. It's what some rockets do - burn hydrogen or kerosene with pure oxygen.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:

Sorry it's spanish

What fuel are they burning? Bio derived hydrocarbons or hydrogen burnt in pure oxygen would be zero emissions, so long as the hydrogen is produced using renewable, of course.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.