Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
nzjrs

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

PlatinumZealot wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 15:41
Mercede Marketing value is in the billions. Guess who is a big part of that value?

https://www.planetf1.com/news/mercedes-f1-value/

Remember this is more than just selling cars. Anyone with a marketing degree can tell you how buimding a brand and communicating value is important.
I mean even in that own article the causality of Hamilton to brand increase is not clearly stated. Toto himself notes brand value is approximately the number of viewers multiplied by the number of successful championships.

Which is to say this little marketing value diversion doesn't offer anything above the previous point - "if Dan Drivesalot or his team mate Paul Ploddington won the same number of championships for Mercedes, would the brand value be any different".

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
15 Jan 2021, 14:15
Not a loaded question, I really do not know the answer, but if the deal breaker is a few million, how much would Hamilton make going into US politics?
High profile SIR Lewis Hamilton BLM and Vegan conservationist Fashion, Music etc? How many younger voters would he get ?

I say US because I dont think there is money in it in UK until you have influence 'in the house'
Nah, don’t think that’s a thing. Activists and politicians both are needed but not on the same chair. “Normal” politicians make a ton of money with speeches, book deals and other stuff. His celebrity status already makes him a hot item for those already.
He knows his voice is at better use to be a spokesperson for BLM and injustice then to go to a meetings on how long a baby bed can burn according to guidelines.

adrianjordan

For Merc, don't forget they can probably charge more for sponsorship space on the cars, race suits etc with Hamilton there than anyone else.

Is that difference enough? I reckon it would be close.

Also, FWIW, I ordered a new car recently and was influenced to test drive a Merc because Hamilton drives for them. Well, not BECAUSE he drives for them, but I doubt I'd have considered their offering if I didn't follow him in F1.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

NL_Fer

For a long time Mercedes was associated with old lawyers and board members of big companies.

With Hamilton the brand is much more appealing for young hip successfully people. And people of colour.

Hamilton & Formula 1 has been essential in the transition from this:

To this

proteus

NL_Fer wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 10:14
For a long time Mercedes was associated with old lawyers and board members of big companies.

With Hamilton the brand is much more appealing for young hip successfully people. And people of colour.

https://media.autoweek.nl/m/s73ykn0bz71v_800.jpg

To this

https://hothatch.com.au/wp-content/upl ... atic-3.jpg
In my country majority of this hip Mercedes, BMWs and Audis are owned by people with shady businesses or illegal practices. Not sure if you want to tie them with Hamilton, since he has nothing to do with the cars, unless he designs and manufactures them and personally promotes them to these people?
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

NathanOlder

NL_Fer wrote:

To this

This is exactly it. F1 has moved Mercedes from where they were in 2010 to where they are now. And the success has played a huge part of that, and Lewis has played a huge part to their success.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

proteus

NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 10:54
NL_Fer wrote:

To this

This is exactly it. F1 has moved Mercedes from where they were in 2010 to where they are now. And the success has played a huge part of that, and Lewis has played a huge part to their success.
Who helped Volvo to become more streamlined automaker, from armored boxes on wheels they used to be? What about BMW?, Škoda? Hyundai? Kia? ......... Indeed Lewis is a success story about their F1 programme, but he has nothing to do with the evolution of Mercedes Benz as an automaker... all of the manufacturers moved forward in their design philosophies and those which didnt, crashed and burned (like SAAB, Zastava and half of the british carmakers, etc....)

Wouter

The next Hamilton? Autocar meets F1 prodigy George Russell
We meet the man who is being touted as the successor to Lewis

“I’m honest with myself, I know when there’s a bit more time in there,” says Russell. “When I watch a lap of Lewis Hamilton or Max Verstappen and I see what they’re achieving, I know if I’ve managed to do similar or if I’m a bit away from them. I’m my biggest critic.”
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/moto ... ge-russell

LOL! :-)

The Power of Dreams!

prince

NathanOlder wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

To this

It's the Car.

NL_Fer

proteus wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 11:19
NathanOlder wrote:
NL_Fer wrote:

To this

Who helped Volvo to become more streamlined automaker, from armored boxes on wheels they used to be? What about BMW?, Škoda? Hyundai? Kia? ......... Indeed Lewis is a success story about their F1 programme, but he has nothing to do with the evolution of Mercedes Benz as an automaker... all of the manufacturers moved forward in their design philosophies and those which didnt, crashed and burned (like SAAB, Zastava and half of the british carmakers, etc....)
The average Volvo driver has not changed, the square accountant type.

But decade ago a young manager would not choose a Mercedes as his company vehicle. Afraid his friends would call him a taxidriver or shady trader in used cars. But nowadays people associate Mercedes with succes, professionalism and winners.

nzjrs

Lol, the only thing less consistent between countries than outgroup stereotypes, is stereotypes about the owners of different car brands! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skoda drivers pick tomatoes like this but Audi drivers pick tomatoes like this! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by nzjrs on 16 Jan 2021, 13:15, edited 1 time in total.

proteus

NL_Fer wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 12:44
proteus wrote:
16 Jan 2021, 11:19
NathanOlder wrote:

The average Volvo driver has not changed, the square accountant type.

But decade ago a young manager would not choose a Mercedes as his company vehicle. Afraid his friends would call him a taxidriver or shady trader in used cars. But nowadays people associate Mercedes with succes, professionalism and winners.
Mercedes became more popular with younger drivers because they left their dull design choices behind and started to make more eye catching cars trough variety of models. Needless to say, their durability and quality is going down the drain and is a farcry of what it should be - especially for the price tag.

I must say, i feel pretty bad for people which need an approval of public, to buy a car.

aMessageToCharlie

It's truely incredible, what mental gymnastics the Hamilton fan club is coming up with regarding Hamilton's influence in Mercedes' success.

Hamilton is designing not only the F1 cars and engines, and built the whole F1 team from the ground up. NO, he's also responsible for the whole corporate strategy. He's redefined the direction of Mercedes street cars as a whole. Wow. All his instagram followers are buying AMG cars left and right, since Hamilton arrived at the Merc works team as they are exactly the demographic who'd buy a german luxury car. For long term success Mercedes needs Lewis to run and manage the team, so they better not deny him anything. Especially not since the MASSIVE impact his knighting made, which is making all the medieval folk now buy AMGs as well. But that's only if he doesnt go on to become a high ranking politician with his impressive knowledge of putting stickers on his helmet and wearing message t-shirts.

Big Tea

TBH, those I know who drive Mercs (My self at times) really don't care a hoot how they are perceived.

People who have a Mercedes have a Mercedes because they want a Mercedes and know what they are getting. For a while, about 10-15 years back, the quality dropped, and so did sales. They soon took action to remedy this and the on order is back. I think the same id true for taxi drivers. They do not buy for show.

This of course does not include the ones with black windows and 'toys'.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Daimler has an interesting tag line that also explains how they go racing: “Das beste oder nichts”. They did so during the fifties, their later efforts at GT1 and Les Mans and how they approached Indycar. INEOS has the same approach with their projects (cycling and the America Cup that is going on now). In the recent decades they had the same approach to drivers. During the late nineties they tried to lure Schumacher away from Ferrari, signed Alonso, got Schumacher eventually and then went after Hamilton. Across all their projects, marketing campaigns etc they are operating from the same approach. Das beste oder nichts.

And yes, Hamilton is part of their strategy to be less of a taxi company. Together with other pop culture stars, more modern design, the investments in AMG, etc. Not just Hamilton...