Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

stan_french wrote:
13 Feb 2021, 15:50
MtthsMlw wrote:
12 Feb 2021, 17:48
Ferrari got ears again
https://i.imgur.com/6TjkPxi.png
Source
Damn seems like a lot of people are going down the Central Cooling System path, slowly. I guess tho the aerodynamic benefits of having small sidepods and packing in as much as possible above outweighs the higher center of gravity. I guess also the fact that Renault, a very outspokenly pro CCS team, hasn't changed their airboxes or cooling philosophy across the past 3 years shows the system has some serious potential. It also seems like Mclaren follwed them down this path, and well, every other team (minus haas) seem to be going also down a larger inlet at the top, rather than in the sidepods.
But most teams already went the CCS* route a long time ago. And Mclaren was one of the first in 2015 (STR was the first in this era IMO in 2014). Renault is just different since their CCS is placed just above the engine whereas the others put it more rearward noweadays...
*which means putting as many coolers at the center line of the car, not just a single cooler, like a gearbox oil rad, but also ERS, engine coolers etc

2017 Ferrari at Sepang. Looks like two different rads mounted side to side. Maybe ERS and Gbox

michl420

The air intake under the main intake, above the head support is also remarkable big. So for me it`s a big incrase in center cooling.

Blackout

It's the same lower intake IMO

Sevach

Changing that would be a structural change and require tokens.
The way Ferrari did they get some extra air while saving tokens to be used elsewhere.

amr
amr

Does anybody else feel that this is not the final form of the air intake?
It looks too pointy at the base, it might throw some air vortices at the rw.

ryaan2904

amr wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 13:29
https://imgur.com/V01bW9R
I think yes, definitely its not the final one. Ferrari isn't even showing this one fully anyways.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Sevach

amr wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 13:29
https://imgur.com/V01bW9R
I believe this will be the launch version, i don't see much reason for the suppoused deception...
Interestingly, it seems there are still a couple of blades behind the airbox.

wowgr8

Sevach wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 23:35

I believe this will be the launch version, i don't see much reason for the suppoused deception...
I agree. What do you mean by blades? You mean the "horns"?

Sevach

wowgr8 wrote:
17 Feb 2021, 00:11
Sevach wrote:
16 Feb 2021, 23:35

I agree. What do you mean by blades? You mean the "horns"?
They aren't horns anymore just small horizontal fins/blades, the arrows point at them, they rupture the white paper.

wowgr8

I feel as though the Ferrari will be the most noticeably different looking car this year, now that they're changing the cooling arrangement as well as the rear of the car. Maybe Aston will give them a run for their money in that respect as they'll try and mimic the W11

The rest of the cars I expect to be more in the McLaren, Alpha Tauri mould, just slight changes to stuff like the engine cover tightness, in addition to the regulation enforced changes

Schippke

wowgr8 wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 11:58
I feel as though the Ferrari will be the most noticeably different looking car this year, now that they're changing the cooling arrangement as well as the rear of the car. Maybe Aston will give them a run for their money in that respect as they'll try and mimic the W11

The rest of the cars I expect to be more in the McLaren, Alpha Tauri mould, just slight changes to stuff like the engine cover tightness, in addition to the regulation enforced changes
Definitely we should expect to see some noticeable differences from the rear, since they've already announced that is where their tokens are being spent, in combination with the updated Power Unit... but I'm expecting the front to remain largely the same, unless they do anything different with the Front Wing; Nose is effectively locked in due to the Token system.

Hopefully they've sorted out the lack of rear stability that was evident on SF1000, despite the reduction of downforce this year around the rear.

wowgr8

Schippke wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 16:03

Definitely we should expect to see some noticeable differences from the rear, since they've already announced that is where their tokens are being spent, in combination with the updated Power Unit... but I'm expecting the front to remain largely the same, unless they do anything different with the Front Wing; Nose is effectively locked in due to the Token system.

Hopefully they've sorted out the lack of rear stability that was evident on SF1000, despite the reduction of downforce this year around the rear.
Yes I think this is part of the reason they chose to spend the tokens at the rear, to fix that suspension issue so I hope it's resolved. Apparently Sainz struggles with rear instability like Vettel does, but I think the problem will be resolved

FDD
FDD

wowgr8 wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 21:44
Schippke wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 16:03

Yes I think this is part of the reason they chose to spend the tokens at the rear, to fix that suspension issue so I hope it's resolved. Apparently Sainz struggles with rear instability like Vettel does, but I think the problem will be resolved
AFAIK Sainz till now drove only SF71H at Fiorano and this car had no problems with stability with the rear.
So I do not know from where is info that Sainz struggled with rear instability, except if you are talking in general, that he prefer a car with a planted rear.

wowgr8

FDD wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 12:04

AFAIK Sainz till now drove only SF71H at Fiorano and this car had no problems with stability with the rear.
So I do not know from where is info that Sainz struggled with rear instability, except if you are talking in general, that he prefer a car with a planted rear.
Yes, I meant generally

Zynerji

wowgr8 wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 17:30
FDD wrote:
23 Feb 2021, 12:04

Yes, I meant generally
I would expect most drivers would want a planted rear.