Alfa Romeo C41

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
HungarianRacer

Re: Alfa Romeo C41

stan_french wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 13:34
Mansell89 wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 13:31
Thinner nose this year- indicative of something we may expect to see from the Ferrari works team?
no, i wouldnt think so, if anything it means that they're expecting the engine not to be super powerful. Because the narrow nose works best at lower speeds, whilst the large nose works best at high speeds, and is usually prone to stalling at lower speeds...
That's a ridiculous line of logic.... How much would an - in F1 terms - "weak" engine offset the operating window of a car within it's aero efficiency curve? Will it significantly lower top speed/approach velocity to high speed corners? Will horsepower deficiency on it's own make a car worse in low-medium speed turns? I don't think so...
Last edited by HungarianRacer on 22 Feb 2021, 14:07, edited 4 times in total.

Morteza

Holm86 wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 13:57
Nose is quite unique, looks like the cape is starting already from the tip

Via @AuRupteur
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Holm86

Morteza wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 14:00
Holm86 wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 13:57
Nose is quite unique, looks like the cape is starting already from the tip
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eu0-X_5XYAI ... name=small

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Eu09k0xXIAI ... ame=medium
Via @AuRupteur
Very interesting design

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Xero

Nose looks really interesting! Also curious about the positioning and aggressiveness of the front wing main plain curves. Car looks very neat and quirky, very Sauber.

Sevach

The nose reminds me of Mclaren circa 2018 (i think).

Good looking car.

ryaan2904

Xwang wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 13:54
ryaan2904 wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 13:47
Xwang wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 13:45

Isn't Alfa using the same updated gearbox and suspension of Ferrari? If so they have used their tokens in that area like Ferrari.
No, one of the two guys even said that they used both their tokens on the front and that the gearbox is the same
So Alfa is going to use last year Ferrari gearbox and internal rear suspension. Did I understood correctly?
Yea i guess
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Zynerji

The nose has some cat-fish whiskers that obviously generate vortex.

I'm very surprised that we haven't seen more of that if it was legal?🤔

And if using Ferrari 2020 rear suspension, are they able to update pieces/dampers so it doesn't get "squishy" at temperature?

billamend

Sevach wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 14:07
The nose reminds me of Mclaren circa 2018 (i think).

Good looking car.
Seems like a mix between Mclaren and Red Bull.

Holm86

Zynerji wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 14:09
The nose has some cat-fish whiskers that obviously generate vortex.

I'm very surprised that we haven't seen more of that if it was legal?🤔

And if using Ferrari 2020 rear suspension, are they able to update pieces/dampers so it doesn't get "squishy" at temperature?
My bet is, it could be because its more draggy than previous concepts, but creates a more powerful vortex.
This might have been a better trade off this year, to seal the diffuser with the new floor.

PlatinumZealot

Mansell89 wrote:
Thinner nose this year- indicative of something we may expect to see from the Ferrari works team?
I got blugeoned over the head for exploring that in the speculation thread, so I'm curious as well.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Morteza

wowgr8

Mansell89 wrote:
Alfa don't follow Ferrari aero concepts and vice versa, they're totally different cars. If it was Haas maybe but even then, why would Ferrari copy one of its customers like that? It happens the other way around

Schippke

You'd have to think Tokens well spent in this case, especially when you look at the amount of detailing on the front nose; Nice job Sauber Romeo. :P

I'm quietly confident for these guys this year; I still reckon a big part of their lack of pace last year was down to the engine and having to compromise the car setup as a result of it... so if they (like Ferrari and Haas) have more power at their disposal, then I reckon they're in with a good chance at joining the mid-field battle proper.

stan_french

HungarianRacer wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 14:00
stan_french wrote:
22 Feb 2021, 13:34
Mansell89 wrote:
no, i wouldnt think so, if anything it means that they're expecting the engine not to be super powerful. Because the narrow nose works best at lower speeds, whilst the large nose works best at high speeds, and is usually prone to stalling at lower speeds...
That's a ridiculous line of logic.... How much would an - in F1 terms - "weak" engine offset the operating window of a car within it's aero efficiency curve? Will it significantly lower top speed/approach velocity to high speed corners? Will horsepower deficiency on it's own make a car worse in low-medium speed turns? I don't think so...
There's a great little thing from reddit i highly recommend you read, i think it shed's more light in my line of thinking:

https://www.reddit.com/r/F1Technical/co ... ame=iossmf

But basically it explains that a car's aero development can be limited by the engine to a certain degree. especially when the aero is made for ever increasing horsepower. And notably the larger nose is said to help cars in higher speed, however it is also more prone to stalling at lower speeds than the narrower nose. What I'm trying to say is that i think the reason they went down the narrow nose path was because they do not have anymore the Ferrari horsepower advantage which greatly helped their nose concept in accelerating the air to the bargeboard. So in order to better suit the car to the engine, they decided to focus on something which the slightly underpowered engine could better help with, which is with the narrower nose, and thus helping their car work better at slightly slower speeds, and reducing the proneness of the nose to stalling.