Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter does not belong here.
User avatar
Blackout
842
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

stan_french wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:50 pm
MtthsMlw wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:48 pm
Ferrari got ears again
https://i.imgur.com/6TjkPxi.png
Source
Damn seems like a lot of people are going down the Central Cooling System path, slowly. I guess tho the aerodynamic benefits of having small sidepods and packing in as much as possible above outweighs the higher center of gravity. I guess also the fact that Renault, a very outspokenly pro CCS team, hasn't changed their airboxes or cooling philosophy across the past 3 years shows the system has some serious potential. It also seems like Mclaren follwed them down this path, and well, every other team (minus haas) seem to be going also down a larger inlet at the top, rather than in the sidepods.
But most teams already went the CCS* route a long time ago. And Mclaren was one of the first in 2015 (STR was the first in this era IMO in 2014). Renault is just different since their CCS is placed just above the engine whereas the others put it more rearward noweadays...
*which means putting as many coolers at the center line of the car, not just a single cooler, like a gearbox oil rad, but also ERS, engine coolers etc

2017 Ferrari at Sepang. Looks like two different rads mounted side to side. Maybe ERS and Gbox
Image

michl420
michl420
10
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:08 pm
Location: Austria

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

The air intake under the main intake, above the head support is also remarkable big. So for me it`s a big incrase in center cooling.

User avatar
Blackout
842
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:12 am

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

It's the same lower intake IMO
Image

Sevach
Sevach
900
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

Changing that would be a structural change and require tokens.
The way Ferrari did they get some extra air while saving tokens to be used elsewhere.

amr
amr
6
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:18 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

Does anybody else feel that this is not the final form of the air intake?
It looks too pointy at the base, it might throw some air vortices at the rw.
Image

ryaan2904
ryaan2904
13
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:45 am

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

amr wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:29 pm
Does anybody else feel that this is not the final form of the air intake?
It looks too pointy at the base, it might throw some air vortices at the rw.
https://imgur.com/V01bW9R
I think yes, definitely its not the final one. Ferrari isn't even showing this one fully anyways.

Sevach
Sevach
900
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

amr wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:29 pm
Does anybody else feel that this is not the final form of the air intake?
It looks too pointy at the base, it might throw some air vortices at the rw.
https://imgur.com/V01bW9R
I believe this will be the launch version, i don't see much reason for the suppoused deception...
Interestingly, it seems there are still a couple of blades behind the airbox.

wowgr8
wowgr8
5
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

Sevach wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 pm

I believe this will be the launch version, i don't see much reason for the suppoused deception...
Interestingly, it seems there are still a couple of blades behind the airbox.
I agree. What do you mean by blades? You mean the "horns"?

Sevach
Sevach
900
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

wowgr8 wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:11 pm
Sevach wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:35 pm

I believe this will be the launch version, i don't see much reason for the suppoused deception...
Interestingly, it seems there are still a couple of blades behind the airbox.
I agree. What do you mean by blades? You mean the "horns"?
They aren't horns anymore just small horizontal fins/blades, the arrows point at them, they rupture the white paper.

wowgr8
wowgr8
5
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

I feel as though the Ferrari will be the most noticeably different looking car this year, now that they're changing the cooling arrangement as well as the rear of the car. Maybe Aston will give them a run for their money in that respect as they'll try and mimic the W11

The rest of the cars I expect to be more in the McLaren, Alpha Tauri mould, just slight changes to stuff like the engine cover tightness, in addition to the regulation enforced changes

Schippke
Schippke
5
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:00 am
Location: Australia

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

wowgr8 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:58 am
I feel as though the Ferrari will be the most noticeably different looking car this year, now that they're changing the cooling arrangement as well as the rear of the car. Maybe Aston will give them a run for their money in that respect as they'll try and mimic the W11

The rest of the cars I expect to be more in the McLaren, Alpha Tauri mould, just slight changes to stuff like the engine cover tightness, in addition to the regulation enforced changes
Definitely we should expect to see some noticeable differences from the rear, since they've already announced that is where their tokens are being spent, in combination with the updated Power Unit... but I'm expecting the front to remain largely the same, unless they do anything different with the Front Wing; Nose is effectively locked in due to the Token system.

Hopefully they've sorted out the lack of rear stability that was evident on SF1000, despite the reduction of downforce this year around the rear.

wowgr8
wowgr8
5
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

Schippke wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Definitely we should expect to see some noticeable differences from the rear, since they've already announced that is where their tokens are being spent, in combination with the updated Power Unit... but I'm expecting the front to remain largely the same, unless they do anything different with the Front Wing; Nose is effectively locked in due to the Token system.

Hopefully they've sorted out the lack of rear stability that was evident on SF1000, despite the reduction of downforce this year around the rear.
Yes I think this is part of the reason they chose to spend the tokens at the rear, to fix that suspension issue so I hope it's resolved. Apparently Sainz struggles with rear instability like Vettel does, but I think the problem will be resolved

FDD
FDD
10
Joined: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:08 am

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

wowgr8 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:44 pm
Schippke wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Definitely we should expect to see some noticeable differences from the rear, since they've already announced that is where their tokens are being spent, in combination with the updated Power Unit... but I'm expecting the front to remain largely the same, unless they do anything different with the Front Wing; Nose is effectively locked in due to the Token system.

Hopefully they've sorted out the lack of rear stability that was evident on SF1000, despite the reduction of downforce this year around the rear.
Yes I think this is part of the reason they chose to spend the tokens at the rear, to fix that suspension issue so I hope it's resolved. Apparently Sainz struggles with rear instability like Vettel does, but I think the problem will be resolved
AFAIK Sainz till now drove only SF71H at Fiorano and this car had no problems with stability with the rear.
So I do not know from where is info that Sainz struggled with rear instability, except if you are talking in general, that he prefer a car with a planted rear.

wowgr8
wowgr8
5
Joined: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:35 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

FDD wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:04 am

AFAIK Sainz till now drove only SF71H at Fiorano and this car had no problems with stability with the rear.
So I do not know from where is info that Sainz struggled with rear instability, except if you are talking in general, that he prefer a car with a planted rear.
Yes, I meant generally

Zynerji
Zynerji
96
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: Ferrari SF21 Speculation thread

Post

wowgr8 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:30 pm
FDD wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:04 am

AFAIK Sainz till now drove only SF71H at Fiorano and this car had no problems with stability with the rear.
So I do not know from where is info that Sainz struggled with rear instability, except if you are talking in general, that he prefer a car with a planted rear.
Yes, I meant generally
I would expect most drivers would want a planted rear.