General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
etusch

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

Snorked wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 pm
Honda's F1 program killing CEO is retiring, is the new CEO an F1 fan and is it too late to reverse the decision to pullout? 😆
If the CEO is the only one who decide Honda's future. I think it is a board decision.

Wouter

Snorked wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 pm
Honda's F1 program killing CEO is retiring, is the new CEO an F1 fan and is it too late to reverse the decision to pullout? 😆
Thanks, I read this article yesterday:

https://www.carscoops.com/2021/02/honda ... n-april-1/

Honda CEO Takahiro Hachigo is going to step down and will be replaced by Toshihiro Mibe,
the carmaker’s head of R&D, on April 1.

Hachigo, who became Honda’s CEO in 2015, will remain on the carmaker’s board until June when he will retire from the company. Mibe has been the carmaker’s head of R&D since 2019 after joining Honda in 1987.

Mibe has been primarily focused on R&D, especially on Honda’s powertrain development, and since 2020 has been concurrently serving as the company’s Senior Managing Director as well.

PlatinumZealot

dren wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 pm
I'm hearing Honda gained over 100hp to make up for the aero losses the Red Bull chassis took a hit on. Those 100hps are in and around the horsepower makin' area at the back of the car. This should put them on par with Mercedes, give or take some amount of power and track performance that's yet to be seen.
I will assume you are making tongue in cheek humour..

But the cars are said to be near 1050 hp or so.... And sruprisingly, with the way they are, I havent heard journalist mutter 1,100 yet! but the amount of times these 40hp and 50hp have been added each year one would think that they are at 1300hp by now! Lol. Which obv is not the case.

The truth is no one on the outside knows how much hosepower these cars have been adding. Honer might be blabbering off his mouth with figures.. But it was interesting that James Keys says the engines are much much closer than we think.
Not driving a Mercedes? Work harder!

Sieper

Makes mental note. Horner blabbers Key speaks.
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/

mzso
mzso

Sieper wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:36 pm
Yeah, well. But Merc can do it last year. We will see. Soon enough.
I don't think they had a lot of power advantage, they just had the outright best car, from practically all aspects.

Sieper

Mmmmmh.

Imused to believe that. Until I saw Ferrari jump down into the low midfield this year. The car was improved though, the engine power down by 55-75 rumoured.

I still think even a 5 hp difference is significant. And Ofcourse deployment and torgue even more so.
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/

GhostF1
GhostF1

Sieper wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:11 pm
Mmmmmh.

Imused to believe that. Until I saw Ferrari jump down into the low midfield this year. The car was improved though, the engine power down by 55-75 rumoured.

I still think even a 5 hp difference is significant. And Ofcourse deployment and torgue even more so.
Based on Honda's comments and a lot from the drivers and teams, fairly obvious now that Honda were never really lacking in outright power but their ERS deployment was their Achilles heel.

The fact they said they tried an entirely new deployment strat for Abu Dhabi and seeing the result they got is almost proof enough. If they have indeed found a big step in their first major PU overhaul since 2017, with a new ERS and Turbo in combination with improved ICE power, I can see them being a force.

I'm excited for testing, it being so short this year, I can't see anyone really affording to "sandbag" and seeing as the first race is also at Bahrain only 2 weeks later, one would assume teams would treat at least the end as a lengthened practice session for it. Who knows!

I'm just aching to hear them in anger again

Wouter

WHAT A BEAUTY. With the Honda logo in the rear wing, it's just splendid.
Welcome RB16B and let's go guys. Keep pushing .

Marti_EF3

Finally a big HONDA on the rear wing! Shame it will be only one year... :cry:

Wouter

dren

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:01 am
The truth is no one on the outside knows how much hosepower these cars have been adding. Honer might be blabbering off his mouth with figures.. But it was interesting that James Keys says the engines are much much closer than we think.
I'd assume they are all within a percent or so of each other sans the Ferrari last year which took a noticeable hit. I figure they'll still be down relative to the others, but not as much. There is so much that ties into the PU's overall performance. I really wish we knew how much fuel each car started and ended with.
Honda!

Wouter

Wouter

Perez in the RB15 today at Silverstone with the sound of the Honda engine. \:D/

ispano6
ispano6

I suppose that the main purpose is practice, but there is probably some good feedback that both drivers can give with their impressions of drivability - Perez with his comparison to the Mercedes powertrain and Yūki with personal feedback and tendencies in the native language (no nuances lost in translation!).

etusch

ispano6 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:18 pm
I suppose that the main purpose is practice, but there is probably some good feedback that both drivers can give with their impressions of drivability - Perez with his comparison to the Mercedes powertrain and Yūki with personal feedback and tendencies in the native language (no nuances lost in translation!).
Good point