General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
_cerber1

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

ispano6 wrote:
24 Feb 2021, 19:52
I don't believe, I know. How many Japanese drivers in the current F1 hybrid era have driven the Honda power unit to be able to give detailed feedback to Honda engineers? Just one, when Yamamoto Naoki drove for Toro Rosso in Japan FP1. You see, Japanese people who speak only Japanese are terrible at English, and believe it or not even the ones who do speak English well can only translate the English they hear and understand into a very basic translation to Japanese. The nuances in the language often times don't translate either, because some of them just don't have the equivalent ways of saying things. Listen to the talking speed and amount of vocabulary Tsunoda uses between English and Japanese. His diction is limited to his English, where as his Japanese flows out.
You cannot know for sure, you can only guess. There are thousands of engineering companies in the world from Japan, China, India and other countries that conduct a complex technical dialogue only in English. I know this for sure, because the company I work for is doing just that. We employ translators who know English better than some of its native speakers and can easily translate any drawings and technological documents.
Tsunoda played in the European team and won races, which means that his level of English is quite sufficient to explain to the engineers what he needs. And there are many European riders who race in Japan or on Japanese teams who don't know Japanese but have very successful racing careers in that country.

ispano6

_cerber1 wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 07:18

You cannot know for sure, you can only guess. There are thousands of engineering companies in the world from Japan, China, India and other countries that conduct a complex technical dialogue only in English. I know this for sure, because the company I work for is doing just that. We employ translators who know English better than some of its native speakers and can easily translate any drawings and technological documents.
Tsunoda played in the European team and won races, which means that his level of English is quite sufficient to explain to the engineers what he needs. And there are many European riders who race in Japan or on Japanese teams who don't know Japanese but have very successful racing careers in that country.
I happen to speak Japanese fluently and have family who retired from Honda. If you think he can speak English as well as he can speak Japanese then you're mistaken. Japanese people communicate much better in Japanese, not English. We can put this topic to rest.

Wouter

Father and son Verstappen. Honda winter testing. A different of 22 years.

The Power of Dreams!

wimg

Hi guys, new here, although a long-time fan of F1.

A quick question: is there a specific reason why I can't seem the images here, other than the word "Image"?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards, WIm

hollus

Hi wimg, welcome to the forum.

Are you still having that problem? Can you be more specific about it, like what is "here". I am not aware of other people having similar problems, most users seem to see all images just fine.

wimg wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 13:28

A quick question: is there a specific reason why I can't seem the images here, other than the word "Image"?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards, WIm
Rivals, not enemies.

SirBastianVettel

hollus wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 17:00

Are you still having that problem? Can you be more specific about it, like what is "here". I am not aware of other people having similar problems, most users seem to see all images just fine.

wimg wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 13:28

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards, WIm
When I use Firefox Focus on my iPhone I have the same issue. In Safari the images do work.

Edit: see screenshot https://ibb.co/fYkdcz1

Sieper

Welcome Wim, the forum is on new software since a few months and there are a few glitches here and there. Mods are on it! There is also a topic to report any if you have them.

hollus

Firefox Focus will block “other sites” that might try to track you.
Since images are always externally hosted in F1T, that is likely to be the problem.
Thanks SirBV.
wimg, what are you using?
Rivals, not enemies.

wimg

hollus wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 17:00

Hi hollus,

Thank you kindly for the welcome!

With "here" I meant here on the forum :). Sorry, I wasn't precise enough.

Kindest regards, Wim

wimg

SirBastianVettel wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 17:12
When I use Firefox Focus on my iPhone I have the same issue. In Safari the images do work.

Edit: see screenshot https://ibb.co/fYkdcz1
Thank you SirSebastianVettel!
Most appreciated, I do sue FireFox most of the time.

Kindest regards, Wim

wimg

Sieper wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 18:04
Welcome Wim, the forum is on new software since a few months and there are a few glitches here and there. Mods are on it! There is also a topic to report any if you have them.
Hi Sieper,
Thank you, Sieper, I will look for that topic :). I'll gladly help finding and if necessary solving any glitches.
Good to see you are here too, Wouter directed me to this forum :).
Kindest regards, Wim

wimg

hollus wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 19:30
Firefox Focus will block “other sites” that might try to track you.
Since images are always externally hosted in F1T, that is likely to be the problem.
Thanks SirBV.
wimg, what are you using?
Hi hollus,

I normally use FireFox, not a big fan of either Safari, Edge, or Chrome for that matter.
However, I have disabled blocking and tracking for this site, so it is a bit strange I still do not see any images.

If images aren't visible with some browsers and not with others, even with blockers off, it may be that your installation of phpBB requires some finetuning indeed, either on the phpBB-side, or server-side.

I don't know phpBB at all, to be very honest, as I only intensively have used and still am using Invision Community Suite (since 2004) for the biggest hobby site of its kind in the world, but we are also storing images on our own server. Our users may use our own server or externally host their iamges, although from a security PoV we prefer people to upload their images to our own server. It also means we're not dependent on some external host going down or out of business suddenly, with images disappearing all over the place :).

I will check to see with which browser images do becoem visible, and report back. I'll do so in the report topic, so as not to take up any further off-topic space here.

Kindest regards, Wim

lio007

wimg wrote:
28 Feb 2021, 15:58
I'll do so in the report topic, so as not to take up any further off-topic space here.

Kindest regards, Wim
Good idea! :D

etusch

Wouter

It is a busy overall, but HONDA is clearly visible, even twice! :) =D>

The Power of Dreams!