Long Lap Penalty in F1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Stu

Re: Long Lap Penalty in F1

strad wrote:
08 Jan 2021, 21:59
Just get strict for goodness sake.
=D> =D>
Wholeheartedly agree!
If I’m being honest I am of the same opinion as Sir Stirling Moss, track limits infringements could be prevented by building the tracks so that it is not physically possible to exceed them. Some tracks do it very successfully (AND it adds to thrill of watching), Montreal, Monaco, Surfer’s Paradise, Birmingham Superprix for example (where the penalty for exceeding the limits is retirement, but the fastest way around the track is to push as close as possible 👍👍👍)
This is why I think that infringements could be easily detected with existing vehicle hardware and track infrastructure. It is even something that could be used to inform viewers/spectators via the F1 App/online. Rather than using the race stewards to determine whether someone has actually exceeded the limits, they would be better placed to review whether there were mitigating circumstances (spin, forced off, etc); after all, there are only three stewards, but 20 cars and many corners per lap - do the maths and determine whether it is really plausible for all cars to be monitored....

Automatic monitoring is the only real plausible method.
Penalties for infringements could range from DRS ‘ban’ for one lap, then ERS ‘ban’ for one lap, followed by pit-lane drive-through penalty for a third infringement. All risk, no reward.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

strad

=D> 👍
Right on!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Shrieker

Penalties need more variety. So it's a good idea to bring this over from MotoGP. For some situations in racing, penalties can look mellow, but are actually extremely harsh for the transgression.

One great example is Vettel @ montreal in 2019. 5 seconds penalty was basically a death knell in terms of a race win, since all Hamilton had to do was sit and wait behind him till the end. A long lap penalty on the other hand, could've made things very interesting and perhaps would've better fitted the crime.

Another example is a jump start. Jump starts are not common, but many of them offer little to no advantage, and a long lap penalty in the opening laps can be considered depending upon the amount of advantage gained, in place of a 5/10 seconds penalty.

Coupled with the fact that almost all of the circuits that we go to have the extra space to implement a long lap penalty, I say don't waste any time bringing this to F1.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

ironben88

I like the idea of an automatic restriction if the centre of the car crosses over the track limit sensor. I think something like a 2 second ERS deactivation as this would be similar to a driver loosing grip due to having grass / gravel on their tyres.

Stu

I can’t remember which thread it it is, but I posted something similar a few weeks ago. Using the track limits to firstly remove DRS for a lap, then ERS for a lap, followed by a stop-go. Something along those lines.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

bjpower

I'm not a fan of applying penalities. Just put a 2 m strip of gravel or grass at the track limits.