Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
mzso

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

LM10 wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 11:54
The Ferrari is smoking again, like in 2018.
Any video evidence?
Are they cheating again?

santos

mzso wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 15:03
LM10 wrote:
Any video evidence?
Are they cheating again?
Why were they be cheating? We've seen Mercedes do the same last year. Were they cheating?

ryaan2904

This is the 2nd time Sam Collins has went on about Ferrari have the split turbo design this year itself
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

No split turbo this year
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Partymood

santos wrote:
12 Mar 2021, 15:07
mzso wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Any video evidence?
Are they cheating again?
Why were they be cheating? We've seen Mercedes do the same last year. Were they cheating?
Most probably

Mr.G

Is there any comment on the news that the ~40HP is gain against last year engine or against last year performance of the engine? As the rumours that they have been artificially restricted to not run on full power and now they can run the old engine on full power + 40HP it would be nice. But is probably just my wishful thinking :lol:
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

PlatinumZealot

They said the 2019 engine is still stronger (thats how strong it was!) but this one is pretty close to it. A bit behind Mercedes.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ferkan

F1analisitecnica (very very good source) reported >40hp against last years one, which was some 60hp down to 2019 one.

Which is to say this years engine is likely close to Mercs last year one.

Blackout

The Ferrari packaging shares some similarities with this obscure PURE prototype from 2013-2014, actually
https://scarbsf1.wordpress.com/2012/06/ ... f1-engine/

ryaan2904

Mr.G wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 14:41
Is there any comment on the news that the ~40HP is gain against last year engine or against last year performance of the engine? As the rumours that they have been artificially restricted to not run on full power and now they can run the old engine on full power + 40HP it would be nice. But is probably just my wishful thinking :lol:
Idk about the engines being artificially restricted, but I did notice that in testing Ferrari almost never changed any power modes. Especially on day 3, where everyone kindof bumped it up a little. I watched a number of verstappen onboards as well as tsunoda onboards (since they were the fastest 2 times). From there, what I noticed was that the two Honda powered teams definitely ran a quali-sim. Ofc, I'm 100% sure they didnt run on full power, but they switched engine modes. You can confirm that by watching their in-laps and the outlaps. As soon as they ended their flying laps, they always switched engine modes.
Conversely, with Ferrari, neither Leclerc nor sainz switched between any engine mode before or after the flying lap. They prepped the car same as others before the flying lap but no settings were changed on the engines.
So there is more to come from that Ferrari engine. How much? That we'll have to wait and see.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

trinidefender

mzso wrote:
LM10 wrote:
Any video evidence?
Are they cheating again?
Not necessarily. When was the smoke from? Idle, low loads or low revs? If so then it's probably just oil getting past the piston rings. They will generally run piston rings quite loose to minimise friction. The trade-off is that at low loads they don't seal against the piston walls properly (the combustion chamber pressure forces the ring against the wall giving a better deal) and allow some oil to bypass.

Mr.G

ryaan2904 wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 07:24
Mr.G wrote:
Idk about the engines being artificially restricted, but I did notice that in testing Ferrari almost never changed any power modes. Especially on day 3, where everyone kindof bumped it up a little. I watched a number of verstappen onboards as well as tsunoda onboards (since they were the fastest 2 times). From there, what I noticed was that the two Honda powered teams definitely ran a quali-sim. Ofc, I'm 100% sure they didnt run on full power, but they switched engine modes. You can confirm that by watching their in-laps and the outlaps. As soon as they ended their flying laps, they always switched engine modes.
Conversely, with Ferrari, neither Leclerc nor sainz switched between any engine mode before or after the flying lap. They prepped the car same as others before the flying lap but no settings were changed on the engines.
So there is more to come from that Ferrari engine. How much? That we'll have to wait and see.
There was a speculative comment from the moderators on the F1TV during the last section of test that Ferrari may asked Alfa to test the higher power modes for them. Kimi would be good candidate for that...
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

ryaan2904

Mr.G wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 11:15
ryaan2904 wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 07:24
Mr.G wrote:
There was a speculative comment from the moderators on the F1TV during the last section of test that Ferrari may asked Alfa to test the higher power modes for them. Kimi would be good candidate for that...
There is a high chance for that being the case. I can't confirm it since they cut kimi's dash view before the last few corners as he set his fastest time, but I can confirm that Ferrari were definitely not running anything close to a quali mode.
I went through the day 3 highlights again, specifically the evening ones. (You can also find some unofficial "testing highlights" on yt as well if u want). So on Sainz's flying lap, you can notice that he has exactly 16% battery power remaining as soon as he touches the finish line. And this is his fastest lap of the session (3rd fastest overall).
Meanwhile, both Tsunoda and Verstappen hit 0 at the finish line on their respective fastest times. (betn 0-1 since they switch to some recharge mode as soon as they touch the finish)
You can confirm all this on yt.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

Ferrari's battery % is at the bottom left of the dash, just above their horizontal battery bar.
AT has a vertical battery bar, while the battery % is at the middle right of the bar.
RBR dont display their battery % but they have the same styled vertical battery bar at the left of the screen.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Juzh

ryaan2904 wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 12:50
Ferrari's battery % is at the bottom left of the dash, just above their horizontal battery bar.
AT has a vertical battery bar, while the battery % is at the middle right of the bar.
RBR dont display their battery % but they have the same styled vertical battery bar at the left of the screen.
If that's your hope than you'll probably be disappointed. Those battery bars don't mean much in testing. Energy recovery intensity could be set to anything, high low medium.. who knows. Verstappen's top speed on his best lap in testing was 10 kmh less than on his Q3 lap last year.