Alpine A521

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Blackout

Re: Alpine A521

I 'did' that drawing, just modified https://albrodpulf1.wordpress.com/ drawing :P Dunno how it came to reddit
https://i.imgur.com/U8g9YYL.jpg
I remember some quotes pre-COVID from early last year saying that they intended to trial the new engine or elements of it during 2020. COVID stopped that from happening but I don’t see why they would completely ditch that idea when given the opportunity again in 2021.
Interesting. I dont recall that.

Blackout

Egresi Tamás wrote:
15 Mar 2021, 12:45
A good comparsion with to last year's car. Much different rear suspension, and smaller cover outlet.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ewg6AP8XEAY ... name=large
It's Hungary 2020 vs Bahrain 2021
It also shows that the new rear bodywork is shrink wrapped around the exhaust pipe now, à la Mercedes.
All the previous Renault rear-end exits, since 2017 atleast, let some hot air (and the wastegates) pass around the pipe.
The 2021 wastegate run around the impact structure and below the raised top wishbone.
This should bring around 1 second per lap and 72,5km/h in the corners too.

That 2021 rear exit looks like a hybrid version of Renault's post Silverstone 2020 standard exit (top) and pre-silvesrtsone 2020 standard exit (bottom)
The silverstone updated rear bodywork was tilted more downwards and reshaped like a peanut.

RedNEO

Blackout wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 09:49

I 'did' that drawing, just modified https://albrodpulf1.wordpress.com/ drawing :P Dunno how it came to reddit
https://i.imgur.com/U8g9YYL.jpg
I remember some quotes pre-COVID from early last year saying that they intended to trial the new engine or elements of it during 2020. COVID stopped that from happening but I don’t see why they would completely ditch that idea when given the opportunity again in 2021.
Interesting. I dont recall that.
Nice drawing! :D

I found the quotes
For Renault, they say the focus is 2021 and that 2020 will be a ‘learning year’ (again), Taffin saying that they expect to be testing 2021 specific engine components throughout the season.

“During the championship, we plan to test new components.” confirms Taffin,

“It will be necessary to proceed like this, as the best way to implement new solutions quickly is to test them on track.”
https://thejudge13.com/2020/02/24/renau ... write-off/

Blackout

Thanks.
jjn9128 wrote:
16 Mar 2021, 18:16
Do we know where they spent their tokens? Front and rear halves of the monocoque are each worth 2 tokens. Rear changes are hidden so could be they have altered the chassis.
The answer is up there :wink:
I have a question for you, do you think this large rollhoop could produce a big amount of lift or hamper downforce generation, with its large, bent and downwashy surface at the top? And could it mess up the air flow to the rear wing dur to it's width or shape?
In this image, static pressure seem to be low above the roll hoop

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:43
I have a question for you, do you think this large rollhoop could produce a big amount of lift or hamper downforce generation, with its large, bent and downwashy surface at the top? And could it mess up the air flow to the rear wing dur to it's width or shape?
https://www.racecar-engineering.com/wp- ... 259362.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/k4yJhrg.jpg
Up where? Budkowski said they focussed their development the rear - hinting gearbox or suspension changes without being specific. As far as I see the roll hoop itself is the same if that's what you're hinting at - there looks like a compromise with the side inlets.

If the engine cover generates a bit of lift that's not a major issue if the resultant downforce elsewhere is greater than the lift force being produced - or the lift directly results in more downforce elsewhere, e.g. downwashing behind the airbox increases the effective angle of the rear wing. They're also narrowing the sidepod which reduces the blockage to the diffuser. So swings and roundabouts. Could be in 2022 we see more of this, especially as the side impact tubes are going to be forced into positions which will make the top inlet impossible, slimming the sidepod may be more optimal.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Blackout

jjn9128 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:56
Blackout wrote:
Up where? Budkowski said they focussed their development the rear - hinting gearbox or suspension changes without being specific. As far as I see the roll hoop itself is the same if that's what you're hinting at - there looks like a compromise with the side inlets.
No I meant the gearbox casing and suspension, because Abiteboul and Budkowski were more specific about it in other interviews (Autohebdo)
If the engine cover generates a bit of lift that's not a major issue if the resultant downforce elsewhere is greater than the lift force being produced - or the lift directly results in more downforce elsewhere, e.g. downwashing behind the airbox increases the effective angle of the rear wing. They're also narrowing the sidepod which reduces the blockage to the diffuser. So swings and roundabouts. Could be in 2022 we see more of this, especially as the side impact tubes are going to be forced into positions which will make the top inlet impossible, slimming the sidepod may be more optimal.
Thank you for the answer.
Do not hesitate to show us how the 2022 side impact structures could look like mrgreen:

jjn9128

Blackout wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 13:16
No I meant the gearbox casing and suspension, because Abiteboul and Budkowski were more specific about it in other interviews (Autohebdo)
Do not hesitate to show us how the 2022 side impact structures could look like :mrgreen:
Must have missed that, must be an old interview too as Abiteboul hasn't been involved in a while.

Slightly off topic but as I'm saying teams might converge on the Alpine engine cover in 2022...

Since 2014 the side impact tubes have been a common part based on a design by Marussia but optimized by Red Bull technologies. The tubes in 2022 have to sit with their main axis inside the 2 red boxes on here. The top one has to be between 460-550mm above the reference and the SIT is ~50mm deep, so ±25mm from the maxima and minima. The top of the sidepod is allowed to be up to 600mm so assuming the SIT is as low as it can go, the inlet could only be 115mm tall (not accounting for leading edge radius), maybe possible but the surface continuity rules make it impossible to add the wings around the inlet which divert the flow into the duct.

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

RedNEO

Blackout wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 13:16
jjn9128 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 12:56
Blackout wrote:
Do not hesitate to show us how the 2022 side impact structures could look like mrgreen:
They must have been bluffing..

Blackout

They must have been bluffing..
Why?
jjn9128 wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 15:19
Slightly off topic but as I'm saying teams might converge on the Alpine engine cover in 2022...
Since 2014 the side impact tubes have been a common part based on a design by Marussia but optimized by Red Bull technologies. The tubes in 2022 have to sit with their main axis inside the 2 red boxes on here. The top one has to be between 460-550mm above the reference and the SIT is ~50mm deep, so ±25mm from the maxima and minima. The top of the sidepod is allowed to be up to 600mm so assuming the SIT is as low as it can go, the inlet could only be 115mm tall (not accounting for leading edge radius), maybe possible but the surface continuity rules make it impossible to add the wings around the inlet which divert the flow into the duct.

https://db3pap006files.storage.live.com ... pmode=none
Many thanks.

RedNEO

Blackout wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 18:38

Why?
That tweet I posted seems to think that rear suspension change is suspension token free?

Blackout

RedNEO wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 18:46
Blackout wrote:

Why?
That tweet I posted seems to think that rear suspension change is suspension token free?
Pics from AMuS
Changes on the wheel upright are token free, but modifying the gearbox carrier (the inboard mounting points in this case) needs 2 tokens
Last edited by Blackout on 25 Mar 2021, 14:17, edited 1 time in total.

RedNEO

Blackout wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 19:06
RedNEO wrote:
17 Mar 2021, 18:46
Blackout wrote:

Why?
Changes on the wheel upright are token free, but modifying the gearbox carrier (the inboard mounting points in this case) needs 2 tokens
https://i.imgur.com/tdDug3E.jpg

Ahh I see, thank you.

Blackout

A521 (day1 'hot conditions' rollhoop and rear bodywork) compared to RS.19.
Very similar undercut and coke bottle shapes. Note the position and size of the exhaust bulge on both cars.

stan_french
stan_french

Blackout wrote:
18 Mar 2021, 20:45
A521 (day1 'hot conditions' rollhoop and rear bodywork) compared to RS.19.
Very similar undercut and coke bottle shapes. Note the position and size of the exhaust bulge on both cars.

what on gods green earth are they trying to achieve... is it me, or is the packaging worse than last year and 2019?... It seems that the sidepods havent shrunk and theyre just more positioned for an overcut, and now they have a massive bulge higher up...

Honestly this season isnt looking amazing. (apart from reliability). Fully expecting them to fight for p6-7 in the championship...

Blackout

stan_french wrote:
19 Mar 2021, 12:15
what on gods green earth are they trying to achieve... is it me, or is the packaging worse than last year and 2019?... It seems that the sidepods havent shrunk and theyre just more positioned for an overcut, and now they have a massive bulge higher up...

Honestly this season isnt looking amazing. (apart from reliability). Fully expecting them to fight for p6-7 in the championship...
That's the question mark...
The bodywork, is different from 2020 because it's a different philosophy, but it's not better than 2019 indeed. Only the exhaust manifold look more compact.
The 2020 packaging is very similar to the 2019 one. Renault just redesigned the bodywork.
So why is the undercut the same as 2019, despite that bigger CCS and despite the fact the PU is a B spec of the 2020 and 2019 PU?
Regarding the 2021 season, it's already a kinda write-off. The tub is 3 seasons old and the engine two seasons old. They are focussing on 2022 since a handful of seasons.
Maybe this car is already testing some 2022 solutions. We'll see when the photographs will show us what's under the hood.