General Honda F1 Topic

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Wouter

Re: General Honda F1 Topic

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

The Power of Dreams!

Jambier

Big kudos to Honda !!!
Finally there!

JordanMugen

Jambier wrote:
27 Mar 2021, 21:07
Big kudos to Honda !!!
Finally there!
=D> =D>

Very strong power unit. Seemingly on par with Mercedes, and maybe even better, and therefore the best in the field. :D Bravo Honda! =D>

https://www.instagram.com/p/CM758w1hRZO ... jx6qaxsu4k

Faster in the corners and faster on the straights -- that is quite something. :D

Rushu

Mercedes has ERS deficit to Honda that reverses recent trend
Mercedes has an energy recovery and deployment deficit to Honda in Bahrain, which played a part in Red Bull’s advantage in qualifying for the 2021 Formula 1 season opener.

Max Verstappen scored the first pole position of the new season, outpacing Mercedes’ world champion Lewis Hamilton by four tenths of a second.

Sakhir is a power-sensitive and rear-limited circuit which appears to have played perfectly to the strengths of the RB16B and Honda’s all-new engine.

The 2021 Red Bull has looked well-balanced from the start of pre-season testing while Mercedes’ W12 has had a rear instability issue, and Honda has been greatly encouraged by the performance of an engine it has reworked extensively for its final season in F1.

Honda’s biggest changes have been focused on the combustion engine, but it also had an energy recovery system deficit to Mercedes to consider as well.

At the first round of the 2021 season though, Mercedes believes “a little bit” of the loss to Red Bull is “on the engine side in terms of derate”, according to team boss Toto Wolff.

That means the Mercedes engine is ‘clipping’ earlier than the Honda, a phenomenon whereby the energy recovery system runs short of energy to deploy.

In previous years it has been the other way round, but that trend appears to have been reversed – at least at the moment, as Wolff admitted after qualifying that “we are not yet in a happy place with our energy recovery”.

Honda has not prioritised a significant step with its ERS compared to last year but it has worked hard to avoid depleting its ERS further by chasing gains with the V6.

Among Honda’s changes to its more compact, lower engine is a reshaped combustion chamber and revised valve angles to boost the combustion process.

While the MGU-H itself is unchanged the turbine and compressor have been revised to boost exhaust gas energy that would otherwise have been reduced by lower inlet temperatures from a more efficient combustion.

The upshot, according to Honda, is that the mechanical efficiency of the combustion engine and the overall effectiveness of the power unit have both been improved.

“Am I surprised? No, I’m actually not at all surprised,” said Wolff.

“I think Honda is a very proud company and I was convinced that they would give it all the power to have a great power unit in the final year as a works team.

“They left no stone unturned, no resource unutilised, to finish the job properly. So it’s good motivation for us. And I’m happy for them.”

Mercedes has its own innovations on its 2021 power unit including revisions to the combustion engine that include a big investment to redesign the plenum.

But that does not necessarily mean Mercedes has fundamentally hurt its ERS output and handed Honda an advantage, as Wolff suggested it could be improved.

In fact, Dave Robson, head of vehicle performance at Mercedes customer team Williams, said the ERS deployment was at least “significantly better” than at testing – confirming that Mercedes High Performance Powertrains has already been able to make some progress.

Wolff said: “Honda has done a great job, delivered a power unit that is extremely competitive look at where AlphaTauri is. And we just have to take it as sportsmen.

“You just have to say they’ve done a really good job, full stop.

“There’s just no other solution than to recover. I believe that on the derate that you see it’s just something we need to get on top of.

“It’s not easy, but we’ll get there.”

JoeE

I'm still disappointed Honda are leaving, such a crap time at the start and now to finally reap the rewards but yet leave. Siliamr to BAR all over again.

At board level, if the won the WDC or WCC this year, I think they would be mad to take the brand out again

PlatinumZealot

As discussed Honda really optimize that turbocharger on top of the imporved combustion and it was a knock on effect to the ERS. Well done.

The advantage in derate i think is in part to the aero efficiency of the chassis package.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Bill

Redbull push hard for engine mode to be burned i think those mode + drs would have sealed the deal for them

Snorked

NHK to show another Honda F1 documentary tomorrow.

The challenge of Honda F1 and Yuki Tsunoda

"We will look at the technological development for the final season and the challenge of F1 driver Yuki Tsunoda."

99 min runtime

ispano6

Yuki's reflection on his first race, posted on Honda Racing F1 Youtube channel.

sn809

Snorked wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 17:26
NHK to show another Honda F1 documentary tomorrow.

The challenge of Honda F1 and Yuki Tsunoda

"We will look at the technological development for the final season and the challenge of F1 driver Yuki Tsunoda."

99 min runtime
Any reviews on this, did some one watch it??

Wouter

Honda Racing F1

Making the step up to F1 for Yuki Tsunoda was far from an overnight event. We sat down with his Performance Coach,
Noel Carroll, who filled us in on the behind the scenes work that began between the two of them for the new season,
back in December of 2020.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

etusch

Wouter

https://honda.racing/f1/post/emilia-rom ... race-setup

Formula 1 Returns To Imola For Round Two

Toyoharu Tanabe
Honda Racing F1

The opening round of the season produced encouraging results for both our teams with the Honda PU being fastest in all practice sessions, taking pole and then finishing second, fifth and ninth in the race. However, the Bahrain weekend was not entirely trouble-free, therefore we have been working hard with both teams in this relatively long break before Round 2 to analyse all the data and take countermeasures where required.

Formula 1’s return to the Imola circuit last year proved very popular with drivers, viewers and fans and it produced an exciting race. It was a busy weekend, run over just two days as an experiment, but this year we return to the usual three-day format. The Scuderia AlphaTauri factory is just 15 kilometres from the track, making it their home race, which is a further reason why we at Honda and their team members will be highly motivated to have a strong weekend. Last year, qualifying went very well for them and Red Bull Racing, but the race result did not reflect their true potential, so this time we hope we can have a smooth weekend leading to an excellent performance on Sunday.
Yuki >>> ..........
Pierre >>> ..........
Sergio >>> ..........
Max >>> ..........
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Touchdown in Italy \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

The Power of Dreams!