2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

tpe wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:13
So, what I take from this race is:

* Ferrari's engine is not close to either Merc or Honda
* Honda's engine is close but no better than Merc
* Merc's strategy is still a class of their own.
* Ferrari's aerodynamics are not that good (look at that huge RW)
* SV should have retired at the end of last year.
* Amazing Norris.
* CS is a very consistent and hard working driver. Let's see if he can beat CL in the long run.

In a race with Perez in Q3, I expect us to be 4-5th fastest team. All in all, it makes NO SENSE to direct resources for this year, but they have to concentrate to 2022.
Ferrari is far behind, they can not even compete against the mclaren. Another bad season for us fans. They should be ashamed.

Manfer
Manfer

Fer.Fan wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 20:29
tpe wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:13
So, what I take from this race is:

* Ferrari's engine is not close to either Merc or Honda
* Honda's engine is close but no better than Merc
* Merc's strategy is still a class of their own.
* Ferrari's aerodynamics are not that good (look at that huge RW)
* SV should have retired at the end of last year.
* Amazing Norris.
* CS is a very consistent and hard working driver. Let's see if he can beat CL in the long run.

In a race with Perez in Q3, I expect us to be 4-5th fastest team. All in all, it makes NO SENSE to direct resources for this year, but they have to concentrate to 2022.
Ferrari is far behind, they can not even compete against the mclaren. Another bad season for us fans. They should be ashamed.
Considering where they were last year, it’s a marked improvement. Last year the engine was crap and they had massive problems with correlation, so their concept was incorrect. It was extremely unlikely they were going to trouble Merc or Red bull this year. They maybe be better at other tracks but I feel they are where they are supposed to be for 2021.

tpe
tpe

That's my feeling as well.
And when I look this huge RW I am deeply troubled.

JPower
JPower

Fer.Fan wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 20:29
What race were you watching? I mean seriously. Sainz was outpacing Ricciardo on his last stint. Easily.

Leclerc had a very good battle with Norris and would've been closer had Perez not wedged in between them because he was out of place.

This track favors McLaren. Ferrari will most likely hold the advantage at Imola. It's a 23 race season. Calm down.

wowgr8
wowgr8

The negativity is very odd. I thought that was a positive race for Ferrari. 4th fastest at a power track (this is where they expected they'd be), and the 2 drivers and Binotto are positive. I thought Sainz drove very well and spoke well after the race, he was actually incredibly positive despite the 8th place. The only way is up from here. Leclerc also said Bahrain is a weak track for him because he struggles with the temperatures, maybe explains the big gap to Norris. I think Ferrari are neck and neck with McLaren at worst. A twisty track up next should give us more answers

Jambier

I think Ferrari is not so bad considering 2020

They have the same thing to do than Alpine: work 100% on their split turbo 2022 engine and 2022 chassis

For those work team 2021 is no interest but they cannot afford to fail 2022

f1316
f1316

All in all reasonably positive tbh - much better than last year - although obviously not super exciting (but we expected that).

The big rear wing is an oddity at a track like Bahrain and makes you wonder if they’ll lack peak downforce at slower circuits when everyone runs higher wing level. I guess we’ll see. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something they feel they need to do to keep the tyres in the window but you would generally expect them to shed some of that wing in favour of top speed somewhere like Bahrain.

Schippke
Schippke

*sigh*... it is amazing that even after Ferrari had a solid race today by all measurable accounts, 'fans' seem to think they were rubbish and that we were actually fighting for 1st and 2nd place last year. So, let's run through some facts to enlighten some of you.

1. Ferrari went from being effectively fighting with Alfa Romeo towards the back-end of last season, to getting cozy and competitive amongst McLaren (who finished 3rd last year). Take that whichever way you want; That is a solid improvement from 2020.

2. Given the straights at Bahrain, I'd label this as a power track to an extent... to which we performed well. Considering how strong the Mercedes engine is, and now that McLaren have it at their disposal, PLUS where the power unit for us was last year... again, a nice improvement it would seem. I'm actually looking forward to seeing how we perform on less power orientated tracks.

3. Finishing 6th and 8th... yes, being a Ferrari fan, we naturally want them to be fighting for 1st and 2nd, but after the nightmare of last year, we would've killed for a 6th and 8th in 2020. At least the result was gotten on Merit somewhat, and not by a whole bunch of cars retiring in front (you could only say Perez starting further back was a bit of a bonus, considering the pace the Red Bull has it isn't a surprise he managed to catch-up). Charles drove a solid race, despite suffering from a bit of tyre deg. towards the end... as did Daniel Ricciardo in the McLaren. Carlos drove a more conservative race (by his own admission), but still brought the car home in the points and he'll only continue to improve as the season goes on.

4. Seriously, stop going on about the size of the rear wing on the Ferrari. If you think you have a solution to it, by all means contact the team in Maranello and enlighten them... since you know, clearly they don't have any proper engineers there or anything. :roll: I get this is a technical forum, but simply complaining Ferrari has a big rear wing and is the reason why they're not quick or that theres a problem with the car, is to put it politely... stupid.

Can anybody actually tell me or anybody what Ferrari did WRONG in the race? Because as far as I can tell, unless I'm blind... all I'm seeing is a bunch of positives to take away compared to what we all endured last year.

JPower
JPower

Schippke wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 02:31

Can anybody actually tell me or anybody what Ferrari did WRONG in the race? Because as far as I can tell, unless I'm blind... all I'm seeing is a bunch of positives to take away compared to what we all endured last year.
Nope. I thought it went about as expected for them. If I'm Binotto, I'm happy with the drivers, cars, and strategy. It's a good start coming from 2020.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

I have to say, I never wanted to admit it when he was with Ferrari - but Vettel is done. He should have bowed out last year.

I always felt such a sense of impending doom when seb was amongst wheel to wheel racing, which showed itself again this race.

I don’t feel that with Sainz. He had some great overtakes and drove beautifully in race 1 with the team. I just can’t see him sliding into the back of another car as with Seb.

Something has felt off with him ever since he drove into the side of Lewis in Baku in 2017. A slow descent from there.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

JPower wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 03:46
Schippke wrote:

Nope. I thought it went about as expected for them. If I'm Binotto, I'm happy with the drivers, cars, and strategy. It's a good start coming from 2020.
Finishing 6th and 8th a minute off the pace is a total disaster for Ferrari. I suppose in the wake of last year, it's a minor improvement.

The thing is, this was known and practically planned for.

All the energy is going into next year's car, as it should be. This is a total throwaway season. The only development work that will be done is that which will be relevant to and help next year's car.

As a huge Ferrari fan, I'm glad they are going about it this way.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Ringleheim wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 05:53
JPower wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 03:46
Schippke wrote:

Finishing 6th and 8th a minute off the pace is a total disaster for Ferrari. I suppose in the wake of last year, it's a minor improvement.

The thing is, this was known and practically planned for.

All the energy is going into next year's car, as it should be. This is a total throwaway season. The only development work that will be done is that which will be relevant to and help next year's car.

As a huge Ferrari fan, I'm glad they are going about it this way.
I agree with and am glad they’re going about it this way too - but I don’t think this performance is a ‘total disaster for Ferrari’. I think this plays into the weird narrative that developed after Michael’s years that Ferrari is ENTITLED to constantly be at the front. They, just like every other team, ebb and flow - in particular with personnel changes and rule changes.

This is a good step. I think that’s period. Of course they want to win, the same as Haas wants to or Williams wants to, but a total disaster would be Ferrari becoming the next Williams and relegated to obscurity. That is not, and I don’t believe will ever, happen.

This I think is also why Ferrari fans can be SUUPER negative about anything but a win. Last nights race was good. We were capable of battling and hung on to one Mclaren and beat the other. That’s good, it just is. My heart was racing when Leclerc was battling abort as and then Norris exactly as it would have been if it was for the win.

I think, lighten up... basically.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

f1316 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 00:22
All in all reasonably positive tbh - much better than last year - although obviously not super exciting (but we expected that).

The big rear wing is an oddity at a track like Bahrain and makes you wonder if they’ll lack peak downforce at slower circuits when everyone runs higher wing level. I guess we’ll see. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s something they feel they need to do to keep the tyres in the window but you would generally expect them to shed some of that wing in favour of top speed somewhere like Bahrain.
I don't get it. What's the problem with that rear wing? Mercs, AT, AM Alfa, mclaren all ran the same rear wing. Hell mclaren even ran a full T wing alongside for more df. Almost everyone except RB ran a full wing.
I thinks its got to do more with the track characteristics rather than drag/top speed goals.
First of all, its very rear limited. All the straights are preceded by heavy traction zones, which demands high rear df especially in long runs.
This is further enforced by the asphalt characteristics and the high temps which leads to heavy tire wear. Minimising rear slippage and oversteer tendencies gains you much more time than running a slim RW and ruining your tires.
This setup is not a consequence of the df cuts this year, teams have always run big wings in bahrain.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

F1NAC

It seems that they fixed that wheel nut issue from last year. They had solid stops (from 2.2-2.7). Another improvement by them. I like that. If they fixed correlation issue they had last year, I'm confident next year they will be up there with Merc/RB.

Solid race from them yesterday. Will see until May what they got in pipeline for upgrades.

Vasconia

We would like to see Ferrari battling with Mercedes and RB, but this was impossible considering how bad the 2020s car was.

Now we can see a much improved PU and a better chasis. The car looks fast on qualy and not bad during the race, there is room to improve and they will do it.

Leclerc had a good race, though the car lacks some pace but he was in the mix. Carlos had a very cautious start but his last sting was excellent, his pace was very good. I am pretty sure both drivers will deliver during this season. The target is to be third this season and have a good base for next season, I think its a possible target.