Alpine A521

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
diffuser

Re: Alpine A521

RedNEO wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 21:58
diffuser wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 20:44
Tooooom wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:20
Still paying the price for Abiteboul’s gamble...
Lots of things changing next year.
- 18" Rims (interesting to find what effect that will have on the suspension).
- Reduced wheelbase.
- Slightly different front Wing
- Major reduction in rear wing.
- Completely different floor, sidepods and bardgeboads.
Well normally I would consider this a good thing but the way they handled the 21 floor change has me a bit nervous. But on the positive side I think they needed this wake up call to see how badly it could go next year if they are not careful. This year was like a dress rehearsal.. and boy did they need it.
I think you're feeling a lack of confidence in a fairly new technical team. I feel it too but they were pretty good last year.

The car just didn't look like they invested much into it from day one. Which is what they said would do, what Alonso wants them to do. You have to TRUST they're getting alot done on 2022.

Tooooom

diffuser wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 02:34
Tooooom wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 23:44
I have a question about the rear brake ducts. Last season the exact same circumstances brought an end to one of ocon’s race (don't remember precisely which one it was), is it bad luck or a design issue? Shouldn't they take those possibilities into account?
I don't remember that nor do I know the exact detail of what got in the brake duct this time. So hard for me to say.

I know McLaren had a visor rip off end up in their rear brake ducts...I've never seen that happen again.
Maybe I’m wrong, ocon lost his brakes at the tuscany gp, but it was just overheating from being stuck behind the safety car, maybe nothing stuck in the ducts.

diffuser

So pretty hard to say it was the same issue.

diffuser

Blackout wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 22:14
diffuser wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 20:44
Tooooom wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 19:20
Still paying the price for Abiteboul’s gamble...
Lots of things changing next year.
- 18" Rims (interesting to find what effect that will have on the suspension).
- very different rims and tires and wheel drums/brake ducts and suspensions
- Reduced wheelbase.
-wheelbase limit is lenient and wont change much of the current wheelbase. The longuest 2021 car will maybe lose 2 centimetres
. 3.4.2 Wheelbase
The distance in X between the front wheel centre line (XF=0) and rear wheel centre line (XR=0)
must not exceed 3600mm.
Nothing lenient on that...

[url][/https://maxf1.net/en/f1-2019-cars-lengt ... e-data/url]

Has 4 cars at a length greater than 3672 (Renault).

Renault R.S.19      3672	5707	2.15
Toro Rosso STR15    3693	5728	2.00
Alfa Romeo C38      3697	5732	1.52
Mercedes F1 WF      3698	5733	1.16

Of the 6 cars that remain, RP switched to Merc length in 2020, Ferrari got Longer in 2020 and mclaren got Longer in both 2020 and 21. 7 plus cm is significant.

The saving grace, I suspect, the wake of the front tires might be less important and that wing over the front tires.

- Slightly different front Wing
- completely different front Wing
- Major reduction in rear wing.
- ? Rear wing much bigger and higher and completely different + beam wing

- Completely different floor, sidepods and bardgeboads.
- yes but no more bargeboards
By reduction I meant the DRS. I though the rear wing angel of attack was limited.
--> completely different cars. Only the halo, the mirrors, the roll hoop and some portions of the engine cover will remain similar to today
Last edited by diffuser on 29 Mar 2021, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.

Blackout

RS.20 rear brake ducts were noticeably small. The 2021 are bigger and are roughly back to their 2019 shape and size
So A521 is on the left
Pics from motorsport.com

Blackout

diffuser wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 04:55
The distance in X between the front wheel centre line (XF=0) and rear wheel centre line (XR=0)
must not exceed 3600mm.
Nothing lenient on that...
I said lenient because the initially planned wheelbase reduction/max wheelbase was more severe than that, but FIA backtracked on that, maybe pressurised by the teams, so the new 3600mm limit look laughable in comparison :P
So the Merc wheelbase might loose 9cm... and the overall car length might be half a millimeter shorter... wow huge :!:

radosav

selvam_e2002

good News. Seems A521 cannot tolerate heat condition as per the article. I hope that's why they have huge air intake.

diffuser

selvam_e2002 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 18:25
good News. Seems A521 cannot tolerate heat condition as per the article. I hope that's why they have huge air intake.

It has nothing to do with the intake. The way I understand it, It's a rear traction issue with the heat.

selvam_e2002

diffuser wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 18:43
selvam_e2002 wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 18:25

It has nothing to do with the intake. The way I understand it, It's a rear traction issue with the heat.
Thanks for the clarification!

Thunder

Alonsos Twitter link has been moved to the Team Thread. :roll:
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

PowerandtheGlory

radosav wrote:
29 Mar 2021, 15:53
Updates coming in Imola.
https://m.motorsport-total.com/formel-1 ... n-21032814
Can anybody give us a good translation of this article, I would appreciate being able to study it. Does it quote budkowski directly?
Thanks
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

XRayF1

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 12:32
radosav wrote:
Updates coming in Imola.
Can anybody give us a good translation of this article, I would appreciate being able to study it. Does it quote budkowski directly?
Thanks
"We are in a group with McLaren, Ferrari, AlphaTauri, Aston Martin and Alfa Romeo are not far away either," says Alpine team boss Marcin Budkowski. That's why his team wants to step up to the plate as early as the second race of the 2021 Formula One season and use a first update for the A521, and a "pretty big update", as Budkowski describes it.

He goes on saying, "There will be some new parts and therefore more power on the car. And then in the further races we will get more new parts."

Alpine is focusing mainly on the "side edge of the underbody and the diffuser," Budkowski explains. "We worked on that in testing and again on the race weekend. That will continue in the coming races, even with other teams. These areas will change."

One of Alpine's weak points: high heat
The team also wants to find out why it is not as fast in high heat as in cooler temperatures. This phenomenon was evident in the morning and evening sessions in Bahrain, he said. "Our homework is therefore to find out why we are less strong when it is hot," says Budkowski.

After all, he fears, "That could become a problem in the summer months." But where exactly the problem is, he says, he does not yet know. "To be honest: I don't have all the answers yet," says the Alpine team boss of Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon. He adds, "And even if I did, I wouldn't spill the beans."

What Budkowski does say, however, is what Alpine's ambition is going into its first season under a new name: "Our aim, of course, is to be at the top [of the midfield] rather than at the bottom."

"At the moment we are somewhere in the middle, missing a few tenths to be at the front. But by the next race it could be different because every team is developing the car a bit, although not as intensively this year. So the midfield should be very competitive."

PowerandtheGlory

XRayF1 wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 12:59
PowerandtheGlory wrote:
30 Mar 2021, 12:32
radosav wrote:
Updates coming in Imola.
Thanks
"We are in a group with McLaren, Ferrari, AlphaTauri, Aston Martin and Alfa Romeo are not far away either," says Alpine team boss Marcin Budkowski. That's why his team wants to step up to the plate as early as the second race of the 2021 Formula One season and use a first update for the A521, and a "pretty big update", as Budkowski describes it.

He goes on saying, "There will be some new parts and therefore more power on the car. And then in the further races we will get more new parts."

Alpine is focusing mainly on the "side edge of the underbody and the diffuser," Budkowski explains. "We worked on that in testing and again on the race weekend. That will continue in the coming races, even with other teams. These areas will change."

One of Alpine's weak points: high heat
The team also wants to find out why it is not as fast in high heat as in cooler temperatures. This phenomenon was evident in the morning and evening sessions in Bahrain, he said. "Our homework is therefore to find out why we are less strong when it is hot," says Budkowski.

After all, he fears, "That could become a problem in the summer months." But where exactly the problem is, he says, he does not yet know. "To be honest: I don't have all the answers yet," says the Alpine team boss of Fernando Alonso and Esteban Ocon. He adds, "And even if I did, I wouldn't spill the beans."

What Budkowski does say, however, is what Alpine's ambition is going into its first season under a new name: "Our aim, of course, is to be at the top [of the midfield] rather than at the bottom."

"At the moment we are somewhere in the middle, missing a few tenths to be at the front. But by the next race it could be different because every team is developing the car a bit, although not as intensively this year. So the midfield should be very competitive."
Good Lad, thanks
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn