2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

JPower

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

lio007

JPBD1990 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 04:10
Sevach wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 00:02
Ferrari should go back to saving 2 sets of softs for Q3.
Engine still leaves something to be desired but no longer pathetic, they can improve on it before the freeze.

Charles and Carlos 3-4 through S2 beating Bottas, amazing progress in terms of chassis/aero.
Rumours are they’re working on a split turbo setup for 2022, similar to what Honda has done this year. If they can make a similar step to what Honda (apparently) has this year - then I’m super keen for 2022.

Having a terrible 2020, and the weird regs in 2021, may have just set Ferrari up to be a leader in 2022. They spoke many times last year, before the budget cap, that they were developing the 2022 car heavily already. Add to that the extra wind tunnel time, etc, due to their horrendous performance last year, + rumours of further engine upgrades. I think we’re well positioned.

Super hopeful.
But you know that Honda has switched to a split turbo layout back in 2017? And we all know how their first year was with this new Design.

LM10

lio007 wrote:
05 Apr 2021, 09:56
JPBD1990 wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 04:10
Sevach wrote:
28 Mar 2021, 00:02
Ferrari should go back to saving 2 sets of softs for Q3.
Engine still leaves something to be desired but no longer pathetic, they can improve on it before the freeze.

Charles and Carlos 3-4 through S2 beating Bottas, amazing progress in terms of chassis/aero.
Rumours are they’re working on a split turbo setup for 2022, similar to what Honda has done this year. If they can make a similar step to what Honda (apparently) has this year - then I’m super keen for 2022.

Having a terrible 2020, and the weird regs in 2021, may have just set Ferrari up to be a leader in 2022. They spoke many times last year, before the budget cap, that they were developing the 2022 car heavily already. Add to that the extra wind tunnel time, etc, due to their horrendous performance last year, + rumours of further engine upgrades. I think we’re well positioned.

Super hopeful.
But you know that Honda has switched to a split turbo layout back in 2017? And we all know how their first year was with this new Design.
2022 PU will be the last until 2025. Therefore, whatever Ferrari does, it will surely not put them in a position like Honda 2017. If a split turbo would do that, they would not go for it.

wowgr8

https://www.formu1a.uno/verso-imola-fer ... rza-forza/

More stuff from formu1a.uno

- 40hp gained from last year (based on Bahrain)
- SF21 made big gains when it comes to stability under braking
- Last year's car was compromised at Imola (and other tracks) because of how they had to unload the rear (and subsequently front), the engine gains will allow them to utilize a proper setup this year
- Red Bull are meant to be heavy favourites at Imola
- Ferrari's goal and based on internal simulations is to be clear third force (further from midfield and closer to Mercedes!)
- Updates that are meant to be validated by Leclerc this week should arrive on the car at the next race

Really interesting, especially the one about stepping away from midfield at this race. I would absolutely love to see it because it means the SF21 chassis and aero is very good but it also seems hard to envision for me. From not even best in midfield in Bahrain to close to the front 2 in Imola? Unless the engine is still a big handicap at a track like Bahrain, but in that case how did Ferrari qualify on Class B pole if the PU is still holding them back?

I can't wait for Imola now, just to help us understand the pecking order and gaps better

JPower

wowgr8 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 01:42
https://www.formu1a.uno/verso-imola-fer ... rza-forza/

More stuff from formu1a.uno

- 40hp gained from last year (based on Bahrain)
- SF21 made big gains when it comes to stability under braking
- Last year's car was compromised at Imola (and other tracks) because of how they had to unload the rear (and subsequently front), the engine gains will allow them to utilize a proper setup this year
- Red Bull are meant to be heavy favourites at Imola
- Ferrari's goal and based on internal simulations is to be clear third force (further from midfield and closer to Mercedes!)
- Updates that are meant to be validated by Leclerc this week should arrive on the car at the next race

Really interesting, especially the one about stepping away from midfield at this race. I would absolutely love to see it because it means the SF21 chassis and aero is very good but it also seems hard to envision for me. From not even best in midfield in Bahrain to close to the front 2 in Imola? Unless the engine is still a big handicap at a track like Bahrain, but in that case how did Ferrari qualify on Class B pole if the PU is still holding them back?

I can't wait for Imola now, just to help us understand the pecking order and gaps better
Having the most power is a huge deal at Bahrain. Over one lap in quali mode the Ferrari engine is enough to make it quick. However, we know that the Ferrari can't deploy power at the same consistency as Honda or Mercedes right now.

That's why McLaren outplaced Ferrari and Alpha Tauri possibly could've as well.

Imola should be a good track for this car. The McLarens were not great their last year(5th quickest car IMO) although Ricciardo showed some blazing pace that weekend. AlphaTauri should be the favorite to take third quickest car considering the sheer level of laps they've done there.

Seanspeed

I would have thought people here, of all places, would know not to trust these sorts of Italian articles when it comes to Ferrari. Especially when it comes to 'upcoming upgrades'. I know it's frustrating cuz there's very little other ways to get information, but apart from what the team says themselves, I wouldn't trust much at all. Even then....

F1NAC

What's happening at Ferrari? I don't seem to remember so much outings with older cars in recent years around Fiorano?

wowgr8

F1NAC wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 13:23
What's happening at Ferrari? I don't seem to remember so much outings with older cars in recent years around Fiorano?
Really odd. Apparently Sainz will do the same after the Imola race. They have to be testing something mechanical or aero related surely, for the 2022 car

F1ern

wowgr8 wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 15:05
F1NAC wrote:
Really odd. Apparently Sainz will do the same after the Imola race. They have to be testing something mechanical or aero related surely, for the 2022 car
Or can they test the precision of their new simulator? Checking if the data they receive from it correlates with the reality?

LM10

F1ern wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 16:42
wowgr8 wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 15:05
F1NAC wrote:
Or can they test the precision of their new simulator? Checking if the data they receive from it correlates with the reality?
Are they using the new simulator already?

wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 17:24

Not yet

Manfer

wowgr8 wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 18:02
LM10 wrote:
09 Apr 2021, 17:24

Not yet
I read that the simulator will be ready for the 2022 car. But would it make sense to use demo tires to collect data?

ScrewCaptain27

It could simply be driver training, because there is no better way to do it.
"Stupid people do stupid things. Smart people outsmart each other, then themselves."
- Serj Tankian

tpe
tpe

Or drivers and pit crew.
But surely they test something, it's not just about driver's training.
And apart from the demo tyres, maybe there are other elements that they can test. I don't know.
BATW, do we have a link for this story?
Last edited by tpe on 09 Apr 2021, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.