2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
101FlyingDutchman

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

That low speed cornering has been the Achilles heel for some time. Not sure what can be done about it. Seems inherent in the way the tub /suspension pick up points & kinematics interplay with eachother. Aero development has never really been a weakness. Fingers crossed lessons are learnt for 2022

Ground Effect

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 14:57
That low speed cornering has been the Achilles heel for some time. Not sure what can be done about it. Seems inherent in the way the tub /suspension pick up points & kinematics interplay with eachother. Aero development has never really been a weakness. Fingers crossed lessons are learnt for 2022
If I’m remembering correctly, this issue started with the MCL34... Or was it the 33?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

haza

Ground Effect wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 16:33
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 14:57
If I’m remembering correctly, this issue started with the MCL34... Or was it the 33?
probably the mcl32 the mp4/31 had a very good front end and somewhere between the 32-33 they lost that good front end

diffuser

the EDGE wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 07:23
diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 04:15
mwillems wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 21:08
Won't they be able to work on how they can seal the floor better? I'd be surprised if they don't already have knowledge of how to improve that particular area.

In terms of Aero, they can be much more aggressive with he packaging. When you look how much tighter the RB and Merc are over the engine then surely there is time to be found from both less drag and more airflow going to the rear. Obviously we can't do that until next year, but it is at least reassuring to know that there is a chunk of time to be found.

Regulations are completely different next year. The only thing not changing is the halo.
Front wing, brakes, rims, tires, bardgeboards, sidepods, rear wing,floor and wheelbase all changing.
You forgot the suspension systems, it’s one of the biggest changes under the new regs, no more hydraulics, only basics spring & damper systems can be used
Didn't forget, I didn't know ;).

Thx for that.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 08:41
diffuser wrote:
mwillems wrote:
06 Apr 2021, 21:08
Won't they be able to work on how they can seal the floor better? I'd be surprised if they don't already have knowledge of how to improve that particular area.

In terms of Aero, they can be much more aggressive with he packaging. When you look how much tighter the RB and Merc are over the engine then surely there is time to be found from both less drag and more airflow going to the rear. Obviously we can't do that until next year, but it is at least reassuring to know that there is a chunk of time to be found.

Regulations are completely different next year. The only thing not changing is the halo.
Front wing, brakes, rims, tires, bardgeboards, sidepods, rear wing,floor and wheelbase all changing.
Yeah they are, ground effect is coming back is the headline I think. But won't shrinking the packaging around the engine be a universal win for Mclaren?

Even in the new regs better airflow to the rear and less drag equals benter speed potential i think?
The size shrinkage is always benifitial. Just the way you put it together for 2022 might be completely different to 2021.

I think the wheelbase for McLaren will shrink some 10cms. Some of that is gonna come out of the space between the rear axle and the tub. They might be able to loose some space between the driver's feet and the front axle but who knows.

Regardless, the tub is gonna change for 2022. Likely that might mean the positioning of the Radiators, connections to the PU through the tub, etc will too. Any part of that you build for next year's car will likely not fit this year's car.

the EDGE

diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 17:52
the EDGE wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 07:23
diffuser wrote:

You forgot the suspension systems, it’s one of the biggest changes under the new regs, no more hydraulics, only basics spring & damper systems can be used
Didn't forget, I didn't know ;).

Thx for that.
No I don’t think it is very well-known because it hasn’t been overly publicised like other elements

There is a short piece on the F1 website about it here

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.form ... hVVNw.html

mwillems

mclaren111 wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 11:01
Emag wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 10:43
How is McLaren planning to handle the budget cap? Are they not affected by it, or will they have to let people go / transfer them to other departments.

I've read a while ago that a couple of people were moved to Indycar & Automotive and thus the effect wasn't very big...

RB was apparently hit quite hard by loss of personell...
Mclaren had already let a lot of people go due to their COVID cost cutting. Was it 70 of the F1 team? I don't recall exactly but it wasn't really a small number.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mwillems

diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 18:13
mwillems wrote:
diffuser wrote:

Yeah they are, ground effect is coming back is the headline I think. But won't shrinking the packaging around the engine be a universal win for Mclaren?

Even in the new regs better airflow to the rear and less drag equals benter speed potential i think?
The size shrinkage is always benifitial. Just the way you put it together for 2022 might be completely different to 2021.

I think the wheelbase for McLaren will shrink some 10cms. Some of that is gonna come out of the space between the rear axle and the tub. They might be able to loose some space between the driver's feet and the front axle but who knows.

Regardless, the tub is gonna change for 2022. Likely that might mean the positioning of the Radiators, connections to the PU through the tub, etc will too. Any part of that you build for next year's car will likely not fit this year's car.
The fitment points may differ but I'd be surprised to see the engine and cooling layout change radically, but then maybe it will.

Yeah it will be a different car, much more simple wings and the proper ground effect floors becoming legal again.

I saw this yesterday, might be an interesting read for folks here, it sum up the changes including the suspension, which also includes the banning of the heave springs, which in itself will be very significant to how the cars handle.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/formu ... nt%20years.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

diffuser

mwillems wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 20:24
diffuser wrote:
07 Apr 2021, 18:13
mwillems wrote:

The fitment points may differ but I'd be surprised to see the engine and cooling layout change radically, but then maybe it will.

Yeah it will be a different car, much more simple wings and the proper ground effect floors becoming legal again.

I saw this yesterday, might be an interesting read for folks here, it sum up the changes including the suspension, which also includes the banning of the heave springs, which in itself will be very significant to how the cars handle.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/formu ... nt%20years.
The sidepods were designed around the bardgeboard area and that is gone, therefore, we've lost the whole way of guiding the air go around them and feed the diffuser.

The other thing they did was that they kept making the wheelbases longer and long to make the PU section narrower to again feed the diffuser...well we're gonna be limited to 3600MM.

Depends on what you consider radical. They're still gonna need the same number of raditors and more or less the same cooling requirements. Where those radiators go and the space they have to put them to get max aero benifit is changing.

NiyolHuayra

With the race week ahead, do we have any news on any updates?

Herr_Koos

NiyolHuayra wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 08:48
With the race week ahead, do we have any news on any updates?
I haven't seen anything. I'm sure if someone knows about possible updates they will post here.

_cerber1

McLaren has not written off the 2021 season either, despite the major rule changes in 2022. “For me it is important that we take the positive momentum with us from the last few years, so we want to bring a few more updates to the car. But at some point we'll have to switch to next year's car, ”he explains.

Through a translator
https://f1-insider.com/mclaren-seidl-ve ... -formel-1/

Ground Effect

_cerber1 wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 12:16
McLaren has not written off the 2021 season either, despite the major rule changes in 2022. “For me it is important that we take the positive momentum with us from the last few years, so we want to bring a few more updates to the car. But at some point we'll have to switch to next year's car, ”he explains.

Through a translator
Thanks, no word on the time table for the updates. Barcelona is round 4, so it could be then we’ll see something significant, but not impossible small tweaks could be brought to Imola or Portimao.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Herr_Koos

Ground Effect wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 12:56
_cerber1 wrote:
12 Apr 2021, 12:16

Through a translator
Thanks, no word on the time table for the updates. Barcelona is round 4, so it could be then we’ll see something significant, but not impossible small tweaks could be brought to Imola or Portimao.
Indeed. I think we should keep in mind that they still have a lot to learn about the car. They've only been to one circuit, so it unless there is a very clear development path already, it might make sense to go to one or two other tracks to get a proper baseline of the car's performance, before trying to bring significant updates.