2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

BosF1 wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 22:22
Gotta love Italian punctuality: resurfacing bits of the track 2 whole days prior to racing there :lol: :lol:

Surprising they they aren't using quick-dry concrete. It wouldn't buckle under years of cars standing on the brakes at pit-entry, and.would provide a bit more grip in the wet...

F1Krof

zibby43 wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 18:49
mkay wrote:
14 Apr 2021, 11:42
From AMuS' preview:
Imola is one of the power tracks on the racing calendar. According to Mercedes, only two other racetracks show a higher percentage of full throttle this year. From the exit of the last corner to the first braking point before corner two, the engines run under full load for around 15 seconds. Anyone who has too little power here and drives with wings that are too big will be punished.
Interesting - I wasn't expecting this. Honda could further stretch its legs if Merc hasn't fixed its derating issues...
Red Bull's lead could be even bigger in Imola. The Italian route is smoother and faster than Bahrain. The fast changes of direction in the chicanes and the high-speed sequences in the middle sector should taste particularly good to the stable and predictable RB16B.
I think this is expected, unless Merc makes a sizeable jump in improving the W12 balance. AMuS also states no meaningful upgrades for RB/Merc, only package optimisation.
Merc has 0 problems with high-speed corners in and of themselves. They're neck-and-neck in RB in terms of pure outright pace/downforce in terms of cornering.

It's interconnected corners of varying speeds that expose the balance problems.

Also, if Merc had to run the ICE conservatively in Bahrain due to cooling issues (an ever-present Mercedes issue), and that was one of the contributing factors to the derating, the much cooler ambient temperatures could help this weekend.

All that being said, I still expect RBR to be the favorite.
Also, if Merc had to run the ICE conservatively in Bahrain due to cooling issues (an ever-present Mercedes issue), and that was one of the contributing factors to the derating, the much cooler ambient temperatures could help this weekend.
Equally true for RBR. I read it somewhere Marko saying that the Honda engine had to be run much more conservatively due to temperature sensitivity and if run fully they could have been up to 3 tenths quicker. Add that the differential issue coming out of turn 2 which was said to be worth 1 tenth, and the Verstappen damaging its car which again was said to be worth 1 tenth. Still Verstappen was quicker maybe up to 4 tenths but couldn't pass Hamilton. All that on a track where RBR's strengths are not highlighted (high and medium speed corners) being almost a second / lap faster: 56 * (easy) 0.7 =~ 39 seconds.

I think as it stands, with Imola having more high speed corners, they will cruise to victory. I am confident that we'll see a long awaited 1-2 for RBR.
My prediction:
Qualy Top 10:
1. Ver
2. Perez (+0.5)
3. Hamilton (+0.7)
4. Bottas (+0.8 )
5. Gasly (+0.9)
6. Leclerc (+1.0)
7. Ricciardo (+1.1)
8. Norris (+1.1)
9. Sainz (+1.2)
10. Tsunoda (+1.2)

As for the race:
Easy 1-2 for RBR. Next Mercs then the rest.
Wroom wroom

zibby43
zibby43

Germany 2019 flashbacks intensifying lol.

I’m literally LOL’ing at everyone there thinking that was a perfectly reasonable course of action. Was the circuit busy the past 3 weeks?

zibby43
zibby43

F1Krof wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 00:15

Equally true for RBR. I read it somewhere Marko saying that the Honda engine had to be run much more conservatively due to temperature sensitivity and if run fully they could have been up to 3 tenths quicker. Add that the differential issue coming out of turn 2 which was said to be worth 1 tenth, and the Verstappen damaging its car which again was said to be worth 1 tenth. Still Verstappen was quicker maybe up to 4 tenths but couldn't pass Hamilton. All that on a track where RBR's strengths are not highlighted (high and medium speed corners) being almost a second / lap faster: 56 * (easy) 0.7 =~ 39 seconds.

I think as it stands, with Imola having more high speed corners, they will cruise to victory. I am confident that we'll see a long awaited 1-2 for RBR.
My prediction:
Qualy Top 10:
1. Ver
2. Perez (+0.5)
3. Hamilton (+0.7)
4. Bottas (+0.8 )
5. Gasly (+0.9)
6. Leclerc (+1.0)
7. Ricciardo (+1.1)
8. Norris (+1.1)
9. Sainz (+1.2)
10. Tsunoda (+1.2)

As for the race:
So Merc 1 tenth ahead of an AT? And Hamilton out-qualified by Perez?

Can’t see any of those coming to fruition.

I def. think RBR can get pole and the win. The margins you’re throwing out are so bad (i.e., insurmountable for Merc) that Merc would have to scrap the entire ‘21 car like Ferrari did with their ‘20 car.

Wouter

I don't hope this is true!

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/81873/ru ... nvade.html

Rumour: Alonso or Ocon tested positive for coronavirus, Kvyat is ready

We might see Daniil Kvyat in an Alpine car this weekend. On social media there are several rumours that Esteban Ocon or Fernando Alonso tested positive for the corona virus. The French racing team keeps its lips sealed for now.

Several Italian media outlets have reported that one of the two Alpine drivers is suffering from a corona infection. Via Instagram, Kvyat has revealed that he will be at the Imola circuit for this weekend's Grand Prix. This doesn't necessarily mean that the rumour is true.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

Well, if it's true, it isn't Alonso.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

F1Krof

zibby43 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 00:22
F1Krof wrote:

My prediction:
Qualy Top 10:
1. Ver
2. Perez (+0.5)
3. Hamilton (+0.7)
4. Bottas (+0.8 )
5. Gasly (+0.9)
6. Leclerc (+1.0)
7. Ricciardo (+1.1)
8. Norris (+1.1)
9. Sainz (+1.2)
10. Tsunoda (+1.2)

As for the race:

I def. think RBR can get pole and the win. The margins you’re throwing out are so bad (i.e., insurmountable for Merc) that Merc would have to scrap the entire ‘21 car like Ferrari did with their ‘20 car.
Yes, I'm sure of them. Unless Merc didn't really bring the real package (although I highly doubt it). Merc will follow the Ferrari feet very soon, they better do.
Wroom wroom

mkay
mkay

zibby43 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 00:22
F1Krof wrote:

My prediction:
Qualy Top 10:
1. Ver
2. Perez (+0.5)
3. Hamilton (+0.7)
4. Bottas (+0.8 )
5. Gasly (+0.9)
6. Leclerc (+1.0)
7. Ricciardo (+1.1)
8. Norris (+1.1)
9. Sainz (+1.2)
10. Tsunoda (+1.2)

As for the race:

Merc only qualified 3 tenths ahead of Ferrari and 4 tenths ahead of Alpha Tauri in Bahrain, though.

If RB manages to gap Merc by 0.5s (which it should have in Bahrain), then I don't see why it's foolish for Perez to out-qualify Hamilton. I mean... he really should if that's his car advantage.

etusch

I am expecting a surprise from Alpha Tauri here. They were good here last year.

_cerber1

etusch wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 10:44
They had the advantage of a day on set, while the rest had just one workout on Saturday.

Wouter

_cerber1 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 10:53
etusch wrote:
They had the advantage of a day on set, while the rest had just one workout on Saturday.
What do you mean by : "They had the advantage of a day on set."?
The Power of Dreams!

_cerber1

Wouter wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 10:58
I mean, they had 100 km more than the rest of the teams when they ran the chassis here in Imola before the tests.

NathanOlder

Wouter wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 10:58
_cerber1 wrote:
15 Apr 2021, 10:53
etusch wrote:
I guess he means the filming days they did.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

djones
djones

I suspect anybody expecting Merc to be anything other than fighting for pole and the win will be in for a disappointment.

In my opinion, it's unquestionable that Mercedes had the worst setup problems and most issues to resolve, ranging from engine to handling. Because of that, they have the easiest quick gains to make and they have had 3 weeks or something to figure out what is happening.

And let's not forget this is Mercedes and Lewis. A quite formidable combo that won the last race... a race that was all but in the bag for Max.

Part of me also thinks we have not seen the mythical innovations yet.