2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
BosF1
BosF1

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

AnthonyG wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 09:04
I was expecting a standing race restart, just like Monza last year, did they change the rules?
The rules were changed, but I don't know if it was this or last year. Anyway, the rulebook says that after a red flag situation racecontrol can choose whether to do a standing or a rolling start. In my opinion they did the most sensible and safe thing to do in this situation. Michael Masi has been a pretty good racedirector I got to say.

El Scorchio

BosF1 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:33
AnthonyG wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 09:04
I was expecting a standing race restart, just like Monza last year, did they change the rules?
The rules were changed, but I don't know if it was this or last year. Anyway, the rulebook says that after a red flag situation racecontrol can choose whether to do a standing or a rolling start. In my opinion they did the most sensible and safe thing to do in this situation. Michael Masi has been a pretty good racedirector I got to say.
I agree. On a clearly still damp/tricky surface, (Verstappen spinning just before the race got underway again) a standing start would have probably just led to more accidents. A rolling start was much safer. Conversely, I don't agree with a lot of Masi's decisions, but that one was definitely the smart move.

Phil

To some wondering why Norris and McLaren were that quick in Qualifying (relativ to Max/Lewis) - ORF covered it pretty well in their broadcast on Saturday by mentioning in an interview with Toto Wolff that McLaren were running their car with closed brake-ducts during qualifying that allowed them to heat up their tires quickly but would compromise them in the race by overheating them. That's pretty likely the reason why he was that close to the pole time.

It's all about the tires once again.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

f1316
f1316

Jolle wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:21
NathanOlder wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 11:02
Jolle wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 23:33
Great sportsmanship from Sainz by the way on the restart. He rightfully could of taken the lead from Verstappen when he went off for a second.
Wasn't it Charles?
It was. My mistake.
I can’t find the article now but was interesting that Ferrari tried a so-called ‘wet setup’ (which from Charles’ comment, sounds really just like a bit more wing level than would be optimal in the dry), essentially compromising quali because they suspected it was going to rain.

It would have worked - at least to an extent - if not for the red flag, as Leclerc had a 26 sec lead over Norris and Perez at the point when Hamilton crashed. But moreover, I thought it was interesting that in principle there was a bit more quali pace available and the time they were losing on the straight was not necessarily representative, given the suboptimal setup.

HungarianRacer
HungarianRacer

ispano6 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 09:41
dans79 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 18:16
ispano6 wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 18:14

So you're admitting to the flawed rules or that you don't have a problem when a Mercedes driver or Ham benefits? You could just say Ham got lucky instead of saying those are the rules. But I won't put words into your mouth, I don't have that character flaw.
No, he put them in quotes because that's what you're calling them. So he's literally saying he doesn't think you'll have a problem with it when it's a Honda driver benefitting from them.
Clearly you don't understand diction then. I know what I said, we all know the rules, and I'm calling then flawed. When you have rules where you are required to keep a delta under virtual safety car, and get penalized for gaining a lasting advantage when violating track limits, a circumstance that allows a driver to freely make up a deficit such as unlapping yourself, a 78sec delta, because of track clean up as a reason, is inconsistent with the rules that aim to maintain a delta under vsc or prevent gaining a lasting advantage. Had the red flag not happened, Hamilton would never have been close to a podium (duh we all know that too) . And there's no sense in trying to say Merc had the faster car, Max never was challenged by Hamilton after lap one. Max drove fast enough to win the race, and the 21 sec delta would have been much larger had there been no red flag causing accident. Max, Red Bull and Honda were the class of the field no matter how you try and spin it! Max praised Honda for improving the starts and nailed it, Max also avoided costly mistakes, and the boys didn't screw up the pitstop either. Overall it was a satisfying outcome apart from Perez not doing his part and Ham's gaffe not amounting to much. Even Bottas served Ham better being at the "wrong" place at the right time. Or I guess he should be thanking Russell...
Well, I'm sure letting Lewis within 1.3s at one point before the pit stops wasn't part of his plan, and certainly he wouldn't have minded securing that extra point for fastest lap either, if he was able... Even Toto Wolff, who's - as I'm sure you know - not the braggadocious type thought they clearly had the measure on Red Bull in terms of raw race pace this Sunday... But that's neither here or there anymore, it's a very, very close and exciting battle so far all things considered, on to Portimao for another thrilling chapter...

mkay
mkay

ispano6 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

So you're admitting to the flawed rules or that you don't have a problem when a Mercedes driver or Ham benefits? You could just say Ham got lucky instead of saying those are the rules. But I won't put words into your mouth, I don't have that character flaw.
No, he put them in quotes because that's what you're calling them. So he's literally saying he doesn't think you'll have a problem with it when it's a Honda driver benefitting from them.
Clearly you don't understand diction then. I know what I said, we all know the rules, and I'm calling then flawed. When you have rules where you are required to keep a delta under virtual safety car, and get penalized for gaining a lasting advantage when violating track limits, a circumstance that allows a driver to freely make up a deficit such as unlapping yourself, a 78sec delta, because of track clean up as a reason, is inconsistent with the rules that aim to maintain a delta under vsc or prevent gaining a lasting advantage. Had the red flag not happened, Hamilton would never have been close to a podium (duh we all know that too) . And there's no sense in trying to say Merc had the faster car, Max never was challenged by Hamilton after lap one. Max drove fast enough to win the race, and the 21 sec delta would have been much larger had there been no red flag causing accident. Max, Red Bull and Honda were the class of the field no matter how you try and spin it! Max praised Honda for improving the starts and nailed it, Max also avoided costly mistakes, and the boys didn't screw up the pitstop either. Overall it was a satisfying outcome apart from Perez not doing his part and Ham's gaffe not amounting to much. Even Bottas served Ham better being at the "wrong" place at the right time. Or I guess he should be thanking Russell...
Despite damage which apparently may have cost HAM up to 0.5s/lap (per Mark Hughes), HAM caught up to VER at the end of the first stint due to better tyre wear. They both were going through traffic at the time so it wasn't as much a factor.

Wolff post-race admitted that Merc may have had an advantage over RB in the race. Why didn't VER get the fastest lap (or get remotely close to HAM's benchmark) at the end when running in clean air? I think this was Merc's race to lose in an ideal scenario, but the race was already lost once HAM lost a chunk of his front wing (as the time penalty would have increased in dry conditions at the end).

Jolle wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Jolle wrote:
18 Apr 2021, 23:33
Great sportsmanship from Sainz by the way on the restart. He rightfully could of taken the lead from Verstappen when he went off for a second.
Wasn't it Charles?
It was. My mistake.
Actually, LEC had some sort of radio issue and hadn’t been told it was a rolling start. That’s partly why he didn’t gun it when VER went off and why VER pulled a big gap from start.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Datco
Datco

mkay wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 12:25
ispano6 wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Despite damage which apparently may have cost HAM up to 0.5s/lap (per Mark Hughes), HAM caught up to VER at the end of the first stint due to better tyre wear. They both were going through traffic at the time so it wasn't as much a factor.

Wolff post-race admitted that Merc may have had an advantage over RB in the race. Why didn't VER get the fastest lap (or get remotely close to HAM's benchmark) at the end when running in clean air? I think this was Merc's race to lose in an ideal scenario, but the race was already lost once HAM lost a chunk of his front wing (as the time penalty would have increased in dry conditions at the end).
I agree mercs we're superior. The overspeed that Lewis has in DRS even with other merc powered cars was significant. Contrast that with Perez struggle to overtake Vettel. I think if Lewis got in Max slipstream, he would have easyily overtaken Max.

Datco
Datco

I saw th footage again with Bottas. Bottas is clearly keeping on the dry line. If he had to give George more space he would have been in the wet. I don't get why people are saying Bottas was fighting too hard. If he kept more left he could have been the one spinning. Did anybody else see something different to me?

djos

I agree with Toto, it’s 60/40 Russell /Bottas. Tbh Russell had a huge speed advantage due to DRS and Bottas should have left a bit more room due to the conditions.

Russell would have been stupid not to go for the pass, he’s a racing driver.
"In downforce we trust"

NathanOlder

ispano6 wrote:
dans79 wrote:
ispano6 wrote:

The thing with the gaining the lap back, it may seem unfair to you on some occasions, but it levels itself out.

Think if you are 9th and right on the back of a 4 car train (6th-9th) its lap 30 of the race, you have blue flags with the leaders coming through. You let the leader through thinking you will get a chance to pass the cars in front when they slow for the leaders. Just as this happens, a Haas has a hge crash and the red flags are thrown.

On the restart, you are now 1 whole lap behind a car that you were right on the back of. So everyone getting their lap back makes sure this kind of thing doesn't happen. That would be way more unfair than cars a lap down coming back to the lead lap.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Datco
Datco

djos wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 13:27
I agree with Toto, it’s 60/40 Russell /Bottas. Tbh Russell had a huge speed advantage due to DRS and Bottas should have left a bit more room due to the conditions.

Russell would have been stupid not to go for the pass, he’s a racing driver.
But if Bottas left more room, would he been in the wet?

NathanOlder

214270 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 12:41
Jolle wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Wasn't it Charles?
It was. My mistake.
Actually, LEC had some sort of radio issue and hadn’t been told it was a rolling start. That’s partly why he didn’t gun it when VER went off and why VER pulled a big gap from start.
I can't believe he didn't know it was a rolling start. The gap was only 6 tenths at the line. If he wasn't aware, it would have taken far longer to work that out and get on the power to go. No way was Charles unaware of the rolling start. You don't follow a car so close through Rivazza when you think it will be a standing start.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 13:38
214270 wrote:
19 Apr 2021, 12:41
Jolle wrote:

It was. My mistake.
I can't believe he didn't know it was a rolling start. The gap was only 6 tenths at the line. If he wasn't aware, it would have taken far longer to work that out and get on the power to go. No way was Charles unaware of the rolling start. You don't follow a car so close through Rivazza when you think it will be a standing start.
Jennie Gow said it. BBC5Live podcast
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

dren

So, you can have an off, wreck your front wing, sit for half a minute, yet get back on track, pit, replace your front nose/wing and still finish 2nd. Hamilton's car isn't that fast. The rules are broken. This was a mess of a race. It's nice to see a Honda victory.
Honda!