2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

Spacepace wrote:
01 May 2021, 06:03
NathanOlder wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 22:56
velizare wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 22:28

nah, blue flag does not force you from the dry surface to the wet, since accidents may happen. as hamilton demonstrated. you just have to let the faster car passing by, as its secure. no one blamed russell for this.
But slowing quite a bit on the dry line forces the car behind on to the wet. And George lifted a lot to let Lewis through.
This!!! I have been thinking this since it happened. I tried to be neutral on the matter and look at it both ways but what I believed happened from the start was that Russell was trying to follow blue flags and at the same time gain an advantage with Bottas ahead. I have a hunch that this is what Wolff believed too and the reason he was so pissed off for.
Yeah I agree, Russell was trying to be helpful at the same time not lose too much time (something they all do) but where it happened was just unfortunate. If he did it at Tamburello or Villeneuve or even Variante Alta, then Lewis just goes across the chicane and loses a small amount of time. It was just a big chain of unfortunate events. In the end it only cost Lewis a shot at the win. If Lewis had made it past George on that lap, then George wouldn't have been attempting a pass on Bottas 60 seconds later. So the whole thing cost George, Bottas and Lewis. Shame as I wanted to see how aggressive Lewis would be with Max.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

NathanOlder wrote:
01 May 2021, 09:56
Spacepace wrote:
01 May 2021, 06:03
NathanOlder wrote:

But slowing quite a bit on the dry line forces the car behind on to the wet. And George lifted a lot to let Lewis through.
This!!! I have been thinking this since it happened. I tried to be neutral on the matter and look at it both ways but what I believed happened from the start was that Russell was trying to follow blue flags and at the same time gain an advantage with Bottas ahead. I have a hunch that this is what Wolff believed too and the reason he was so pissed off for.
Yeah I agree, Russell was trying to be helpful at the same time not lose too much time (something they all do) but where it happened was just unfortunate. If he did it at Tamburello or Villeneuve or even Variante Alta, then Lewis just goes across the chicane and loses a small amount of time. It was just a big chain of unfortunate events. In the end it only cost Lewis a shot at the win. If Lewis had made it past George on that lap, then George wouldn't have been attempting a pass on Bottas 60 seconds later. So the whole thing cost George, Bottas and Lewis. Shame as I wanted to see how aggressive Lewis would be with Max.
Not very, I shouldn’t think, at this stage of the season. Probably (if he got up to the back of him) see if he can pressure him into a mistake or pass him in the pits. Maybe in the final stint try and have a go on the DRS. Definitely wouldn’t try anything too risky. You can’t win it but you can lose it blah blah.

However, it didn’t play out like that!

velizare

cheeRS wrote:
01 May 2021, 00:43
velizare wrote:
cheeRS wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 20:02

Not really. He was clearly getting blue flags and stayed on the racing line while he was following Bottas. That caused Hamilton to go off-line (wet) and to slide off track. Had he moved over like it is required to do, Ham would have been much closer to Verstappen. True, the safety car redeemed his race, but it was unnecessary and would have been better to just obey the blue flags.

Imagine if that was Verstappen behind Russel and Verstappen slid off track because he was losing time and Russel wouldn't move over? It'd be a riot.

Don't get me wrong, Ham is my fav driver and I genuinely feel that Russel should be in the Merc alongside him next year. Russel is hugely talented.
nah, blue flag does not force you from the dry surface to the wet, since accidents may happen. as hamilton demonstrated. you just have to let the faster car passing by, as its secure. no one blamed russell for this.
So if a track is just starting to dry, and there is only a semi-dry line that is a car's width, that would neccessitate that the faster car would always have to go into the wet to pass a blue flagged car. Is that legal? I guess so, I'm not sure. But in reality, everyone that is blue flagged slows down IF it is a straightaway or moves out of the racing line briefly to let the car pass. I'm not saying that Russel should have been penalized. It's tantamount to overtaking someone during their qualifying lap: Is it legal? Yes. Is the driver being a huge d*ck for doing it? Absolutely.

Again, if that was Tsunoda in the Alpha instead of Russel, and it was Max that went off track, it'd be all over the news.
overtake must be performed by the faster car, the flagged only has to let him pass, and must not impede.

velizare

NathanOlder wrote:
velizare wrote:
cheeRS wrote:
30 Apr 2021, 20:02

Not really. He was clearly getting blue flags and stayed on the racing line while he was following Bottas. That caused Hamilton to go off-line (wet) and to slide off track. Had he moved over like it is required to do, Ham would have been much closer to Verstappen. True, the safety car redeemed his race, but it was unnecessary and would have been better to just obey the blue flags.

Imagine if that was Verstappen behind Russel and Verstappen slid off track because he was losing time and Russel wouldn't move over? It'd be a riot.

Don't get me wrong, Ham is my fav driver and I genuinely feel that Russel should be in the Merc alongside him next year. Russel is hugely talented.
yeah, because it was the third time he was flagged, so he had to let lewis pass anyway.

PlatinumZealot

Gave away six points to a poor pitstop! Frustrating!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:06
Definitely something to continue working on. It's interesting how, in previous seasons, Merc were content on having consistent pit stops, at the expense of some time, because they had the margin.

Now, they realize how close it's going to be with RBR and have decided that every millisecond will count, and are going for maximum attack on the stops. The ironic result is, for the moment, they're consistently slower than before.

Will get ironed out eventually.

Marty_Y

It's encouraging that red bull couldn't keep up with the Mercedes's on the straights even with drs, maybe they have dealt with the teething issues they were having with the engine and deployment.

With the exception of Bottas's sensor issue it was a great weekend for Mercedes, excellent drive from Lewis!

mkay

zibby43 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Definitely something to continue working on. It's interesting how, in previous seasons, Merc were content on having consistent pit stops, at the expense of some time, because they had the margin.

Now, they realize how close it's going to be with RBR and have decided that every millisecond will count, and are going for maximum attack on the stops. The ironic result is, for the moment, they're consistently slower than before.

I mean, it has to, especially if margins remain this tight for the rest of the season. It's the third race in a row with costly pit stops.

zibby43

mkay wrote:
02 May 2021, 23:52
zibby43 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:10
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I mean, it has to, especially if margins remain this tight for the rest of the season. It's the third race in a row with costly pit stops.
They’ve had a couple high-profile slow stops. I think 2 were equipment malfunctions. But on balance, they’ve been faster than any other season so far.

The standings going into today:

dans79

I'm looking forward to see what upgrades if any the team brings to Barcelona.

Based on the last two races it seems like they fixed the derating issue they had in Bahrain. It was fairly windy today, but despite that the car looked fairly stable, so they must be getting on top of their arrow instability. It seems like their main issue now is tire warm up.

If they can warm the tires up faster, without compromising degradation they could go on a run in my opinion.
197 104 103 7

e30ernest

dans79 wrote:
03 May 2021, 05:21
I'm looking forward to see what upgrades if any the team brings to Barcelona.

Based on the last two races it seems like they fixed the derating issue they had in Bahrain. It was fairly windy today, but despite that the car looked fairly stable, so they must be getting on top of their arrow instability. It seems like their main issue now is tire warm up.

If they can warm the tires up faster, without compromising degradation they could go on a run in my opinion.
Do they want to warm up tires faster though? Summer is coming up so they might be in for some warmer races and more mature tracks where tire warm-up should be easier.

dans79

It's always good to be able to heat the tires up faster, as long as you don't overheat them or cause degradation issues.
197 104 103 7

nzjrs

dans79 wrote:
03 May 2021, 05:46
It's always good to be able to heat the tires up faster, as long as you don't overheat them or cause degradation issues.
Do you think Hamilton's 'these tires are gone' in the first stint was a case of 'XXX has the best fans' or do you think they did have a weird warmup profile?

PlatinumZealot

I always prefered slow warm ups if it meant the tyres have a longer life in the race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

littlebigcat

nzjrs wrote:
03 May 2021, 06:47
dans79 wrote:
03 May 2021, 05:46
Do you think Hamilton's 'these tires are gone' in the first stint was a case of 'XXX has the best fans' or do you think they did have a weird warmup profile?
The mediums had a weird graining phase, hence McLaren's call to Norris about staying on them.