2021 Mclaren F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McFAN
McFAN

Re: 2021 Mclaren F1 Team

If I'm not mistaken we're one of only two teams to have had both cars finishing in the points in all 3 races

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

MrGapes wrote:I'm quite optimistic for these updates now.... remember we are still basically running the pre-season test car... lets hope for some significant gains with these updates
That’s another silver lining... For the team to be taking their time to bring their updates, it might be a comprehensive package where the parts need to work together and they can’t bring them individually.

We just need patience :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRindt

“To be honest, it's hard to shake it off, when you don't perform it eats at you. Qualifying is so important. As a driver, you know inside you if you're driving with confidence and if it's flowing. Today there were moments of speed, and moments that were still not quite there.

— Ricciardo

Emag
Emag

On another note, pitstops were horrible again. Daniel kind of ruined it going off the marks so I am not going to judge them for that, but Lando's pit stop was 3.3s as well. You can still say that's semi-decent but at this age, the other teams are consistently within the 2s mark with the stops. They have to keep working on that.
Last edited by Emag on 02 May 2021, 19:50, edited 1 time in total.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:00
Makes me wonder how the story would have been written if the Spygate never happened. Would we have kept Hamilton, Mercedes as a factory team and the whole technical team and perhaps write history as the most successful team in F1 capturing 7 championships in a row breaking every record?
Put it this way.

We were spying in order to get to the top. We deserved to get caught, and we then got it wrong several times in amongst some glimmers of great speed (2009) (2013) in particular as bad cars.

My understanding was that we also refused to sell the stake to Merc didn’t we? Then a bargain came up with Brawn anyway.

This team is humbled, energised, and culturally different as a result and long term that’s what it needs to connect with the modern F1 fan base.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Great result to outscore Ferrari and two very good drives from both drivers. Flashes of Danny Ricc finding his groove and Lando again very consistent.

Alpine have found something this weekend so that will start to further tighten the midfield, so it really is about execution at the right moments and those small gains.

Some excellent points though in the opening 3 races.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:On another note, pitstops were horrible again. Daniel kind of ruined going off the marks so I am not going to judge them for that, but Lando's pit stop was 3.3s as well. You can still say that's semi-decent but at this age, the other teams are consistently within the 2s mark with the stops. They have to keep working on that.
Unluckily, if it is equipment related, it won’t be fixed this season... But, I definitely agree that is one of the key points that the team needs to improve... They already know that though, so it might not be as easy as we think

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Emag wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:31
On another note, pitstops were horrible again. Daniel kind of ruined going off the marks so I am not going to judge them for that, but Lando's pit stop was 3.3s as well. You can still say that's semi-decent but at this age, the other teams are consistently within the 2s mark with the stops. They have to keep working on that.
This
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Darth-Piekus

Mansell89 wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:34
Darth-Piekus wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:00
Makes me wonder how the story would have been written if the Spygate never happened. Would we have kept Hamilton, Mercedes as a factory team and the whole technical team and perhaps write history as the most successful team in F1 capturing 7 championships in a row breaking every record?
Put it this way.

We were spying in order to get to the top. We deserved to get caught, and we then got it wrong several times in amongst some glimmers of great speed (2009) (2013) in particular as bad cars.

My understanding was that we also refused to sell the stake to Merc didn’t we? Then a bargain came up with Brawn anyway.

This team is humbled, energised, and culturally different as a result and long term that’s what it needs to connect with the modern F1 fan base.
I am sure that in terms of the Spygate they are hiding a lot about what really happened. You see they did not managed to find anything from Ferrari in our car. The whole Spygate seems like a vendetta set up from Max Mosley to damage Ron Dennis as both men were at each others throats. We were seeing how the FIA favored the Ferrari heavily from 1999 where they handled that championship at Malaysia and basically built up the whole Ferrari/Schumacher success intervening everytime Ferrari was threatened and that includes 2007 with the set up under the table at the end for Hamilton to lose the championship.

On another note a humble,energised and culturally different team might be what indeed we need to be even better than Ron Dennis's era and make a repeat of the 80s and 90s.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

SmallSoldier wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:52
Emag wrote:On another note, pitstops were horrible again. Daniel kind of ruined going off the marks so I am not going to judge them for that, but Lando's pit stop was 3.3s as well. You can still say that's semi-decent but at this age, the other teams are consistently within the 2s mark with the stops. They have to keep working on that.
Unluckily, if it is equipment related, it won’t be fixed this season... But, I definitely agree that is one of the key points that the team needs to improve... They already know that though, so it might not be as easy as we think

Seidl claimed before the 2020 season started, they would invest in pit stop equipment, don’t know how that went.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Ground Effect wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:52

Seidl claimed before the 2020 season started, they would invest in pit stop equipment, don’t know how that went.
You needed Tokens to modify your pitstop equipment fo the 2021 season and we didn’t had any left after the PU change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Darth-Piekus

Why would you need tokens to modify a pit stop? I thought tokens were used for the car.

McFAN
McFAN

McFAN wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:08
If I'm not mistaken we're one of only two teams to have had both cars finishing in the points in all 3 races
Edit.
In fact the only team to do so . =D> =D>

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Daniel’s first lap:

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Darth-Piekus wrote:Why would you need tokens to modify a pit stop? I thought tokens were used for the car.
Part of the cost control measures due to Covid