2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
DChemTech

Re: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

It was a rather tense but mostly uneventful race, as is also reflected in the number of pages posted here after :D
Props to Lewis; he recovered from the little nap due to the restart quickly, and that was that. Max did a proper job, too. Yes, some mistakes, but the RB just wasn't there this weekend, especially struggling in those final corners where, as mentioned by others here, it mattered most. This was clearly reflected in how the Mercedes managed to approach RB on the straight - while with DRS and a tow, Max had no chance of getting past or even next to Bottas. Did Max make more mistakes than Lewis? Sure, but to be fair, he probably had to overdrive the car more to be at the front. The gap between Hamilton/Bottas versus the much larger gap between Verstappen/Perez illustrates that, as well as that Perez was not able to come closer on fresh softs. Mercedes was better this weekend, Max had to give it all to stay in the fight at the front, and that increases the risk of mistakes. Still, he maximized with 2nd, and that's nice to see.
Bottas, well, not too bad actually. Sure, he dropped back. But he properly held off Max in stint 1, and bar a sensor issue, would have been able to take the fight back in stint 2, too. As for track limits, I (as a Verstappen fan) am happy they took the fastest lap time. Track limits are track limits. Now, if only they would consistently manage them in every corner, that would have saved a lot of prior controversy. I am curious about the Norris/Perez overtake in that respect, but have yet to see it back.

henry

Juzh wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:48
On a different topic, just how slow was the race today? Fastest lap on new soft running on fumes still 1s off last year's Hamilton's fastest lap on ages old hards...
Does it matter? And if it does did the weather conditions, wind, temperature, play a part?
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

politburo

maxxer wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:25
politburo wrote:
02 May 2021, 23:51
Sevach wrote:
02 May 2021, 18:51

The guy finished 1 minute behind Schumacher(before the penalty), it's embarassing.
Russel-Latifi, Leclerc vs Ericsson wasn't this one sided.
Cut the guy some slack - he pitted twice, and intentionally so on the instruction of the race engineer, to try the C3 and to avoid blue flags. I was actually watching onboard and the guy was lapping the same pace as both Mick and Latifi on the C1 before pitting again, he also visibly took the edge off in the first sector as he had 2 track limits warnings, but his S2 and S3 times are quite comparable to his teammates'. He also did realise his mistake after the blue flags debacle and moved out of the way eventually. He was told there were blue flags before, but not sure how proximal Perez was so he took the inside of T3, then moved out of the way into T4, and immediately acknowledged the mistake over the radio.

Oh and by the way Leclerc won 81% of Sauber's points that 2018 season as a rookie. Russell has never been out-qualified by Latifi, 19 races and still running. It is quite a strange comparison to the Haas F1 Team's situation, where both drivers are rookies, in their 3rd race. If the season was to end now (which it won't) then all these things would have some finality to them, the embarrassment would be cut and dry for all to marvel at and ridicule. However, the season is still in progress, there is always some unpredictability and the drivers will gain more experience and find their true pace - some take longer than others. Towards the end of the season is when judgments should be made.
Guy was last anyway could have investigated after the race and fine the team they should have been coaching him wonder what happened on team radio
He remarked to the engineer "that "He might have screwed Checo" after Checo went past at T4, which he did since they almost made contact and he slowed Checo down there. At the end he said sorry to the race engineer after knowing about the penalty, at which point the race engineer took fault for not notifying him how close he was. Eve in the FIA document they mentioned that there was no radio. But I doubt they'll appeal since again he was last anyways and it's only 1 penalty point...
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

RedNEO

mafeotul wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:51
Does anyone know any news about the Merc PU, there has been some rumours about something they changed since Imola, as being quite controversial, and everyone in the paddock knowing about it.

I mean, something is definitely different, you don’t go from being 0.4 down to being unable to be passed with DRS, within 3 GP’s.

NathanOlder

I'm surprised how high Kimi is on the start line speed trap when he only had 1 go at it and while the cars were at their heaviest. I guess he was literally tucked right up behind someone :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

El Scorchio

DChemTech wrote:
03 May 2021, 09:30
It was a rather tense but mostly uneventful race, as is also reflected in the number of pages posted here after :D
Props to Lewis; he recovered from the little nap due to the restart quickly, and that was that. Max did a proper job, too. Yes, some mistakes, but the RB just wasn't there this weekend, especially struggling in those final corners where, as mentioned by others here, it mattered most. This was clearly reflected in how the Mercedes managed to approach RB on the straight - while with DRS and a tow, Max had no chance of getting past or even next to Bottas. Did Max make more mistakes than Lewis? Sure, but to be fair, he probably had to overdrive the car more to be at the front. The gap between Hamilton/Bottas versus the much larger gap between Verstappen/Perez illustrates that, as well as that Perez was not able to come closer on fresh softs. Mercedes was better this weekend, Max had to give it all to stay in the fight at the front, and that increases the risk of mistakes. Still, he maximized with 2nd, and that's nice to see.
Bottas, well, not too bad actually. Sure, he dropped back. But he properly held off Max in stint 1, and bar a sensor issue, would have been able to take the fight back in stint 2, too. As for track limits, I (as a Verstappen fan) am happy they took the fastest lap time. Track limits are track limits. Now, if only they would consistently manage them in every corner, that would have saved a lot of prior controversy. I am curious about the Norris/Perez overtake in that respect, but have yet to see it back.
You must be a bit annoyed that Verstappen wasn’t punished by getting beached in a gravel trap or something for making a mistake and exceeding track limits on his last lap, though?

DChemTech

El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:48
DChemTech wrote:
You must be a bit annoyed that Verstappen wasn’t punished by getting beached in a gravel trap or something for making a mistake and exceeding track limits on his last lap, though?
Really, is it always necessary to try and escalate things just for the heck of it?

El Scorchio

DChemTech wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:55
El Scorchio wrote:
DChemTech wrote:
Really, is it always necessary to try and escalate things just for the heck of it?
Just wanted to know your thoughts. You were very adamant about it.

DChemTech

El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:59
DChemTech wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

About monitoring track limits in general, yes. I don't think I have been very outspoken about any particular method. Sensors are fine for small mistakes. Gravel traps, if they can be safely applied, are fine - I'm no fan of endless runoff area, but the gravel doesn't need to start right where the track ends in my opinion.

nacho

Lower downforce setup might have been important for Hamilton for this win, did not realise it yesterday. This explains a bit how he was able to make those passes with a car that's not seconds faster.

El Scorchio

DChemTech wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:01
El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:59
DChemTech wrote:

About monitoring track limits in general, yes. I don't think I have been very outspoken about any particular method. Sensors are fine for small mistakes. Gravel traps, if they can be safely applied, are fine - I'm no fan of endless runoff area, but the gravel doesn't need to start right where the track ends in my opinion.
I’m only pulling your leg, really, because I remember we had a bit of fun this before. All the drivers at one point or another fall foul of track limits!

He got the lap time deleted which was the correct outcome.

RedNEO

NathanOlder wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:31
I'm surprised how high Kimi is on the start line speed trap when he only had 1 go at it and while the cars were at their heaviest. I guess he was literally tucked right up behind someone :lol:
Kimi had front wing DRS

dans79 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:54
214270 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:52
dans79 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:43

It's because the Williams car produces a lot of peaky downforce it does well when it's in free air but not so much when it's behind someone else.
This is a quote from RUS yesterday. He sure didn’t sound like he expected problems on race day:

“We’re on the medium tyre for the start tomorrow. The rivals around us, who are ahead, will be on the softs, which is not a great race tyre. So we’re in a great position. It’s all about a good start, a good first lap. We have the straight-line speed. The guys behind us will really struggle to overtake us, so eyes forward and maximum attack.”
If you get a chance go back and listen to his team radio from today he was not very complimentary of the car.
Yeah, I just had a listen; he wasn’t happy. LAT wasn’t either. Maybe goes some way to explain how GIO, RIC, ALO and STR all passed him after the SC. It looks like they all got the job done on the same lap…crazy.

Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

El Scorchio

214270 wrote:
03 May 2021, 12:01
dans79 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:54
214270 wrote:
02 May 2021, 21:52

This is a quote from RUS yesterday. He sure didn’t sound like he expected problems on race day:

“We’re on the medium tyre for the start tomorrow. The rivals around us, who are ahead, will be on the softs, which is not a great race tyre. So we’re in a great position. It’s all about a good start, a good first lap. We have the straight-line speed. The guys behind us will really struggle to overtake us, so eyes forward and maximum attack.”
If you get a chance go back and listen to his team radio from today he was not very complimentary of the car.
Yeah, I just had a listen; he wasn’t happy. LAT wasn’t either. Maybe goes some way to explain how GIO, RIC, ALO and STR all passed him after the SC. It looks like they all got the job done on the same lap…crazy.

That’s a great little graphic.

PlatinumZealot

nacho wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:30
Lower downforce setup might have been important for Hamilton for this win, did not realise it yesterday. This explains a bit how he was able to make those passes with a car that's not seconds faster.
Shows again that Bottas likes setting up for Pole and Hamilton likes setting up for the race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏