2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

Here are my 2 cents from the race:

- absolute Masterclass Hamilton. Was down to 3rd but put his head down and beat both his championship rivals on the track to win the race
- Bottas extremely disappointing. He lost 2nd to Verstappen and didn't even defend that position...
- very solid drive from Perez
- Big mistake by Mercedes for pitting Bottas a lap early to get fastest lap and ultimately gave Verstappen, their main championship contender a free pass himself (EPIC FAIL!)
- RedBull was very good strategy wise, though if they hadn't left out Perez that long, they could have easily had Perez on the podium and benefited off Bottas sensor problem
- Norris great again - very impressed
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Phil wrote:
03 May 2021, 13:33
- Big mistake by Mercedes for pitting Bottas a lap early to get fastest lap and ultimately gave Verstappen, their main championship contender a free pass
I'm betting, they had concerns about tire warm up so they wanted to make sure he had enough laps to get the tires into the proper window.
197 104 103 7

Phil

True. But it's a mistake that just shouldn't have happened. It's one thing if Perez gets that point, but making the world championship battle vulnerable by giving Max a chance to get it is an entirely different one. They were extremely lucky that Max's lap was deleted. It's just a point, but a point that could be crucial. (Actually two point if you factor in the swing).
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

RZS10

How much faster was Perez on the softs at the end vs Bottas? Would he have been open for a possible undercut or cold tyre overtake had he pitted one lap later?

Sevach

RZS10 wrote:
03 May 2021, 14:11
How much faster was Perez on the softs at the end vs Bottas? Would he have been open for a possible undercut or cold tyre overtake had he pitted one lap later?
He wasn't, other than the fastest lap(at the time) Perez was very slow.

NathanOlder

RedNEO wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:59
NathanOlder wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:31
I'm surprised how high Kimi is on the start line speed trap when he only had 1 go at it and while the cars were at their heaviest. I guess he was literally tucked right up behind someone :lol:
Kimi had front wing DRS
:lol: =D> Good point, that'll do it.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

maxxer

politburo wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:04
maxxer wrote:
03 May 2021, 00:25
politburo wrote:
02 May 2021, 23:51

Cut the guy some slack - he pitted twice, and intentionally so on the instruction of the race engineer, to try the C3 and to avoid blue flags. I was actually watching onboard and the guy was lapping the same pace as both Mick and Latifi on the C1 before pitting again, he also visibly took the edge off in the first sector as he had 2 track limits warnings, but his S2 and S3 times are quite comparable to his teammates'. He also did realise his mistake after the blue flags debacle and moved out of the way eventually. He was told there were blue flags before, but not sure how proximal Perez was so he took the inside of T3, then moved out of the way into T4, and immediately acknowledged the mistake over the radio.

Oh and by the way Leclerc won 81% of Sauber's points that 2018 season as a rookie. Russell has never been out-qualified by Latifi, 19 races and still running. It is quite a strange comparison to the Haas F1 Team's situation, where both drivers are rookies, in their 3rd race. If the season was to end now (which it won't) then all these things would have some finality to them, the embarrassment would be cut and dry for all to marvel at and ridicule. However, the season is still in progress, there is always some unpredictability and the drivers will gain more experience and find their true pace - some take longer than others. Towards the end of the season is when judgments should be made.
Guy was last anyway could have investigated after the race and fine the team they should have been coaching him wonder what happened on team radio
He remarked to the engineer "that "He might have screwed Checo" after Checo went past at T4, which he did since they almost made contact and he slowed Checo down there. At the end he said sorry to the race engineer after knowing about the penalty, at which point the race engineer took fault for not notifying him how close he was. Eve in the FIA document they mentioned that there was no radio. But I doubt they'll appeal since again he was last anyways and it's only 1 penalty point...
Ah see well still a shame then he gets the penalty point in the end even hamilton was close to get a ban by collection them over time.
Thanks for doing the extra research i find it sad they have to drive the car for the whole year knowing there is no development already , but it is what is i guess for them.
And Hamilton messed up blue flags also this race, his race engineer actually had to tell him he was racing Perez and that he wasn't overtaking a backmarker

maxxer

El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:34
DChemTech wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:01
El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:59

Just wanted to know your thoughts. You were very adamant about it.
About monitoring track limits in general, yes. I don't think I have been very outspoken about any particular method. Sensors are fine for small mistakes. Gravel traps, if they can be safely applied, are fine - I'm no fan of endless runoff area, but the gravel doesn't need to start right where the track ends in my opinion.
I’m only pulling your leg, really, because I remember we had a bit of fun this before. All the drivers at one point or another fall foul of track limits!

He got the lap time deleted which was the correct outcome.
Kimi exceeded track limits btw :)

maxxer

Any idea which car the FIA took apart after the race this time for full scrutiny ?

Mr5in1

maxxer wrote:
03 May 2021, 15:20
Any idea which car the FIA took apart after the race this time for full scrutiny ?
Gasly's car if I think that is number 10, publications are on the link below:

https://www.fia.com/documents/season/se ... vent/35042

Sieper

NathanOlder wrote:
03 May 2021, 14:29
RedNEO wrote:
03 May 2021, 11:59
NathanOlder wrote:
03 May 2021, 10:31
I'm surprised how high Kimi is on the start line speed trap when he only had 1 go at it and while the cars were at their heaviest. I guess he was literally tucked right up behind someone :lol:
Kimi had front wing DRS
:lol: =D> Good point, that'll do it.
That malfunctioned :D I saw him drag the frontwing along.

El Scorchio

214270 wrote:
03 May 2021, 04:43
Apparently MAZ got DoD. The powers-that-be must’ve nixed that and put PER instead. Kinda defeats the purpose of a fan vote, if you’re not gonna bother to respect the results, no?

The entire thing is dumb if you ask me.
Firstly let me say I agree DOD is really dumb, but it keeps kids like my nephew entertained so I guess it’s good for engaging young viewers etc. It would have a bit of weight or meaning, maybe, if it was decided by an ex-driver each round.

But FWIW I think it was honourable to ignore the Mazepin voters. It was clearly done out of irony/spite and while he’s absolutely not covering himself in glory (and IMO isn’t ready for F1) it’s quite a nasty thing to do so I’m glad they did the right thing and omitted him from the count.

maxxer

El Scorchio wrote:
03 May 2021, 16:44
214270 wrote:
03 May 2021, 04:43
Apparently MAZ got DoD. The powers-that-be must’ve nixed that and put PER instead. Kinda defeats the purpose of a fan vote, if you’re not gonna bother to respect the results, no?

The entire thing is dumb if you ask me.
Firstly let me say I agree DOD is really dumb, but it keeps kids like my nephew entertained so I guess it’s good for engaging young viewers etc. It would have a bit of weight or meaning, maybe, if it was decided by an ex-driver each round.

But FWIW I think it was honourable to ignore the Mazepin voters. It was clearly done out of irony/spite and while he’s absolutely not covering himself in glory (and IMO isn’t ready for F1) it’s quite a nasty thing to do so I’m glad they did the right thing and omitted him from the count.
Well if we are going that way lets have a Team of the Day and a Pitstop of the day and give the winner 25k sponsored by AWS or such :)

I think Redbull did one in 1.9s ? while merc was average to long?

seense

Why didn't Norris get a penalty for the move on Perez (leaving the track and gaining an advantage)? FIA already explained that?

Jaeger

seense wrote:
03 May 2021, 17:22
Why didn't Norris get a penalty for the move on Perez (leaving the track and gaining an advantage)? FIA already explained that?
Norris never did that..Even Checo explained the move afterwards..