2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mafeotul

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

epo wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:38
Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:29
Jolle wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:11

Software for the hybrid systems.
I bloody hope Honda are able to find some gains themselves.

If this engine performance differential remains, then a WDC looks out of reach.
It almost look to me they turned down the engine by using a more conservative engine mode after race 1 and issues especially with AT. And vice versa Mercedes started conservative and turned it up.
I was wondering this during quali at this GP really. Where have all the Honda horses disappeared? I cannot fathom Mercedes closing a gap that quick with software alone. Either their software was utterly pathetic, or these Honda PU’s are really turned down slightly.

PlatinumZealot

Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:48
Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:34
Does anyone know if Honda will be bringing any more improvements to the engine, or is this current spec the one Red Bull are stuck with for the season?

I mean, Mercedes look like they have improved ERS deployment through software improvement, could Honda do the same?
To elaborate on my previous question, if engine development is frozen during the season, how is Mercedes able to find performance within the PU?
From my understanding, Engine hardware upgrades are not allowed. But you can always fine tune engine maps on the dyno, do reliability fixes.. Use better coolers.. Try new ERS strategies..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Datco

I think Max got the maximum the car could deliver. The Merc are just too fast. For Lewis to be able to follow so close for so long just says the merc chasis is still very far ahead. There is no way RBR could have followed Merc like that if positions were reversed. I don't see RBR catching up to that advantage. So they fast in corners and we have seen how fast they are at power tracks. I am inclined to thing Merc is just playing games again.

mafeotul

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:48
Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:48
Kingshark wrote:
09 May 2021, 19:34
Does anyone know if Honda will be bringing any more improvements to the engine, or is this current spec the one Red Bull are stuck with for the season?

I mean, Mercedes look like they have improved ERS deployment through software improvement, could Honda do the same?
To elaborate on my previous question, if engine development is frozen during the season, how is Mercedes able to find performance within the PU?
From my understanding, Engine hardware upgrades are not allowed. But you can always fine tune engine maps on the dyno, do reliability fixes.. Use better coolers.. Try new ERS strategies..
Yeah but don’t you think the gap to Honda has been dramatically reduced, so much so, race pace is miles ahead? Weirdly, it seems the Bull really likes that soft tyre. Sometimes i wish i would understand why that is down to the T, and then i remind myself, i shall never do it.

Marti_EF3

I also think Mercedes is playing with the sandbags trying to give more value to the wins... :roll:

darkpino

Datco wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:51
I think Max got the maximum the car could deliver. The Merc are just too fast. For Lewis to be able to follow so close for so long just says the merc chasis is still very far ahead. There is no way RBR could have followed Merc like that if positions were reversed. I don't see RBR catching up to that advantage. So they fast in corners and we have seen how fast they are at power tracks. I am inclined to thing Merc is just playing games again.
I’m pretty sure Verstappen was able to follow Hamilton closely in Portugal also?

nzjrs

Marti_EF3 wrote:
09 May 2021, 22:21
I also think Mercedes is playing with the sandbags trying to give more value to the wins... :roll:
They certainly have admitted to doing this before. But I don't see the motivation to do so this year unless they take PZ's view that the FIA/FOM will slow them down if they win this again?

Then again a less conspiratorial motivation might be to direct RBs development resources to 2022 later.

Personally I think it's just close.

Datco

darkpino wrote:
09 May 2021, 22:38
Datco wrote:
09 May 2021, 21:51
I’m pretty sure Verstappen was able to follow Hamilton closely in Portugal also?
Not for so long and then to the point he could overtake. Lewis said in the interview he could have overtaken but obeyed the team to pit.

Sieper

Max has said on sky Merc was only ever struggling for balance a bit in bahrein and even there they were faster then he had anticipated. For the rest they are just faster, redbull needs to step up.

wowgr8

This Mercedes tyre advantage stems from the introduction of the thinner gauge tyres in 2019. It showed even in 2018 how those tyres turned the Mercedes into the quickest car at a point in the season where the Ferrari was clearly quicker (Spain and France). It's as though Pirelli designed those tyres specifically for the Mercedes it's so odd

2019 came when the tyres were made a mainstay and not just limited to a few tracks and the all conquering W10 is born. That advantage on those tyres has shown on since then. That, coupled with Lewis tyre management skill makes the Mercedes unbeatable under normal circumstances

JordanMugen

Wouter wrote:
09 May 2021, 20:28
Checo brings his Bull back fifth in Spain.
DChemTech wrote:
09 May 2021, 22:15
Now I don't think Perez is doing great so far - but I don't think he is that bad.
Perez's driving has been very Gaslyesque or Albonesque so far. Unless he improves, I don't think Perez will be renewed at Red Bull for next season.

It's terribly confusing -- where is Perez's pace? :?:

It's four races in, will Perez find the pace soon? :?:

Perhaps Hulkenberg would have been a better choice, as his driving style might be more similar to Max?

PlatinumZealot

He was as fast as Max at some points in the race. He overtook cars that Albon could only dream of. Perez is getting there man. Very soon too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Kingshark

There’s nothing wrong with Perez’s pace. He’s just up against a freakishly fast driver who is making the Red Bull look significantly better than it actually is.

It’s amazing how much teammates can alter the perception of a driver. I mean, just look at Gasly, a very good talent who’s reputation is permanently damaged from what Max did to him in 2019.

Marti_EF3

If RB is struggling with the C2 and C3 tires...when pirelli brings softer compounds I fear it will be worse

McMika98

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 May 2021, 04:24
He was as fast as Max at some points in the race. He overtook cars that Albon could only dream of. Perez is getting there man. Very soon too.
Please he was disappointing to say the least, he made 2 position at start and then struggled to get past Ricciardo who was a second slower.
Last year the Redbull would get mugged at start by likes of Mclaren and Renault. This year they have as good if not better launches than even Merc. Plus this years tyres are durable to follow, last year yiu could not follow around.
As for the idea that Redbull is slower than Merc, how do you have the same ultimate pace and yet be slower?