2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 May 2021, 22:56
NathanOlder wrote:
22 May 2021, 22:39
Tizz wrote:
22 May 2021, 20:17
My opinion is not important. I have no knowledge or experience driving a F1 car. And neither have you. And no you're not. You are commenting his ability to judge drivers ability. By the way, I think you totally missed the point Klaus is making.
So you swerve the question as expected. As for driving an F1 car, what has that got to do with anything? I play golf a lot, but it doesn't mean Im any better or worse at judging how good Bryson is playing. You get an eye for it the more you watch. So again, are you another person who can't actually admit that Hamilton is one of the best of all time? As an F1 fan its clear he, Max, Charles are in the very top tier of drivers. George, Lando have the potential along with probably Carlos.
MKlaus, and Tizz (who joined to his defense), should be forgiven. They misunderstood the term tyre whisperer and the fact that it has little to do with heating up qualifying tyres in Monaco. Let them be. They're just in tizzy because HAM had a bad day. Understandable. Let them enjoy it. Start your rain dance.We race tomorrow.
quite right. Only 1 circuit on the calendar like this one, so not a bad thing to be slow here and fast everywhere else.
Tomorrow hopefully will be entertaining
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Sieper

zibby43 wrote:
22 May 2021, 22:54
Sieper wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:56
zibby43 wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:49

Yeah, so was Bottas.

If Charles keeps pole, it’s going to get spicy between him and Max tomorrow.

Unless Max is content to cruise around in 2nd pick up 18 points. If Hamilton gets to 5th, Max will still take 8 points out of Hamilton’s lead, or 7 if Hamilton gets fastest lap.

If Hamilton and Bottas stay out of trouble, Merc will pick up some points over RB in the WCC tomorrow.
And I think Sainz too right?

Yes, the start will be incredibly tense. Bottas is behind Leclerc. So even if Max does not attack he has to slot in and that opens him for attack by Bottas. If he does attack (it is possible he gets a good launch) then he is vulnerable to a hard defence and indeed a Bottas right behind charles.

With Charles in the lead he will bunch everybody up. That takes away the undercut potential and will make Max loose his tires, being in the drag. Max cannot push him, like lewis was pushing max in spain, as there is no viable overtake window.

Pit stop will be tense moment 2. But let’s see. Race is yet to start.
I agree with all of your assessments!

Should be an exciting race for sure. Well, the potential is there at least. :)

Or it could be another standard Monaco train affair. Hope it’s the former.
Indeed, let’s hope, but it will probably be a train, these cars are growing and every year, track is not, but with some firework moments. I will be trembling like a reed at the start. Actually, in spain I got a little bit nauseas after the overtake by Max. It was just so tense. That made me realize I need to chill! In fact, I usually watch with a friend who is not so competetive, that takes the edge off, but he had a birthday party to attend (what! :D and now he is on holidays).

godlameroso

Mogster wrote:
22 May 2021, 22:25
godlameroso wrote:
22 May 2021, 20:21
...all it takes is one stray thought to cloud your focus.
“Max and Valterri are probably setting purple sectors behind me...” :lol:
:lol: =D>
Saishū kōnā

godlameroso

Sieper wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:56
zibby43 wrote:
22 May 2021, 21:49
Sieper wrote:
22 May 2021, 20:48
Verstappen was actually on a hotlap already under that time when the red flag came out.
Yeah, so was Bottas.

If Charles keeps pole, it’s going to get spicy between him and Max tomorrow.

Unless Max is content to cruise around in 2nd pick up 18 points. If Hamilton gets to 5th, Max will still take 8 points out of Hamilton’s lead, or 7 if Hamilton gets fastest lap.

If Hamilton and Bottas stay out of trouble, Merc will pick up some points over RB in the WCC tomorrow.
And I think Sainz too right?

Yes, the start will be incredibly tense. Bottas is behind Leclerc. So even if Max does not attack he has to slot in and that opens him for attack by Bottas. If he does attack (it is possible he gets a good launch) then he is vulnerable to a hard defence and indeed a Bottas right behind charles.

With Charles in the lead he will bunch everybody up. That takes away the undercut potential and will make Max loose his tires, being in the drag. Max cannot push him, like lewis was pushing max in spain, as there is no viable overtake window.

Pit stop will be tense moment 2. But let’s see. Race is yet to start.
I wouldn't be so sure, they have genuine pace, the bottle neck is Norris, he got everything out of the car and then some. He's fast but not that fast, the Ferraris and Verstappen had the legs on Bottas in the long runs.

Gasley is ahead of Hamilton, that's the big bottleneck. Norris is likely racing Gasley and Perez, so their train will be interesting to watch. I absolutely expect Hamilton to either make miracle passes or goes for an overcut. He wasn't doing anything extraordinary long pace wise, although he's still Hamilton and will do Hamilton things.

Then again it could be like Imola and Norris has the pace to just keep touch with Ferrari. Riccardo and Ocon are hoping to come alive in the race.

Monaco is a race that develops in stages, the first stage is around 20 laps, everyone gets a feel for the pace how the track is evolving. It's only after those 20 laps that a gap and group begins to develop, and we see the first round of pit stops.

It's very possible we see a safety car, it's very common around here, with so little room for error. Capitalizing on free safety cars will be crucial in moving up the order, or dropping back.

From there the race begins to settle down until something happens, usually in another 15 to 20 laps.

There's sometimes a late race safety car or red flag that causes a mad dash to the finish where the best action usually happens if at all.
Saishū kōnā

nevill3

After watching todays F2 race it seems that VSC are more probable, this would have a totally different effect on the race. During the F2 race I got the impression that they were not allowed to pit during the VSC periods, is this the same for F1 now and when did they change that if it is?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

siskue2005

nevill3 wrote:
23 May 2021, 00:45
After watching todays F2 race it seems that VSC are more probable, this would have a totally different effect on the race. During the F2 race I got the impression that they were not allowed to pit during the VSC periods, is this the same for F1 now and when did they change that if it is?
There is no such rule, you can pit at any time in f1 and f2. In f2 they don't have tyre warmers like f2 and the tyre takes 5 laps to get up to speed so it's not worth the time in f2 and they don't have new tyres like f1. So they don't have any advantage in doing so.
FIA always seems to be putting out safety cars and red flags for f1, and vsc in f2.. its a pattern seen in the last two years. Just wait and see how trigger happy Michael Masi is tomorrow with safety cars.

nevill3

During the f2 race today there was a comment by the commentators as to what would be the case if a driver had not made the mandatory pit stop and the race was to finish under the VSC, this backed up the implication made earlier that the F2 race this afternoon had a rule prohibiting pit stops during VSC periods.

siskue2005

nevill3 wrote:
23 May 2021, 01:04
During the f2 race today there was a comment by the commentators as to what would be the case if a driver had not made the mandatory pit stop and the race was to finish under the VSC, this backed up the implication made earlier that the F2 race this afternoon had a rule prohibiting pit stops during VSC periods.
The mandatory pit stop which needs to be made by evey drivers in the feature race has different rules.
1. You need to run on two compounds just like f1
2. You can't do that Mandatory pit stop until after lap 5 or 6
3. You can't take that Mandatory pit stop during vsc or sc.

So you can pit at any time in f1 and f2. In f2 they don't have tyre warmers like f2 and the tyre takes 5 laps to get up to speed so it's not worth the time in f2 and they don't have new tyres like f1. So they don't have any advantage in doing so.
Moreover the pit stops are slow coz only 5 mechanics working. Its major time loss, so better not to pit in f2
Last edited by siskue2005 on 23 May 2021, 01:23, edited 1 time in total.

nevill3

Thanks for the clarification, after a bit of digging I had found the rule about no mandatory pit stop during vsc and came back here to post, but you beat me to it.

ispano6

What's the penalty of someone impeding a fast lap during practice or quali? 5 grid spots? Seems like a driver who brings out a red flag that prevents a fast lap for others should be along those lines. Intentional or not, impeding the fast lap and bringing out the red flag needs a similar deterrent to prevent drivers from pushing to the point beyond reasonable means.

Hoffman900

ispano6 wrote:
23 May 2021, 05:17
What's the penalty of someone impeding a fast lap during practice or quali? 5 grid spots? Seems like a driver who brings out a red flag that prevents a fast lap for others should be along those lines. Intentional or not, impeding the fast lap and bringing out the red flag needs a similar deterrent to prevent drivers from pushing to the point beyond reasonable means.
I think today falls into "--- happens".

Do they really need another rule and another point to politic?

djos

Many other racing series delete your fastest qualifying lap for crashing, it wouldn’t be unique.
"In downforce we trust"

Mr.S

F1NAC wrote:
22 May 2021, 22:38
Was just watching highlights. What is happening to Brundle? Started talking non sense as Crofty. It was hillarious during Charles first run in Q3, he was saying something like car didn't look great during middle sector and then bang.. purple S2 gained nearly four tenths
It was very good & smooth & quick S2. Followed Max who it seemed to the naked eye got more out of the car than what was possible. Ferrari have a decent car this week. Perez is just way off. Difficult to predict with cars & drivers but Ferrari may well be a shade quicker than Mercedes or RB (like 1 tenth maybe).

MKlaus

NathanOlder wrote:
22 May 2021, 23:00
PlatinumZealot wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

So you swerve the question as expected. As for driving an F1 car, what has that got to do with anything? I play golf a lot, but it doesn't mean Im any better or worse at judging how good Bryson is playing. You get an eye for it the more you watch. So again, are you another person who can't actually admit that Hamilton is one of the best of all time? As an F1 fan its clear he, Max, Charles are in the very top tier of drivers. George, Lando have the potential along with probably Carlos.
MKlaus, and Tizz (who joined to his defense), should be forgiven. They misunderstood the term tyre whisperer and the fact that it has little to do with heating up qualifying tyres in Monaco. Let them be. They're just in tizzy because HAM had a bad day. Understandable. Let them enjoy it. Start your rain dance.We race tomorrow.
quite right. Only 1 circuit on the calendar like this one, so not a bad thing to be slow here and fast everywhere else.
Tomorrow hopefully will be entertaining
that's the advantage of having a dominant car. despite mid field driver like performance on a driver's track, one can still win championship. what's the chances if perez showing a good move on lewis or his gearbox, although he just doesn't have it in him to be racy.

MKlaus

PlatinumZealot wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

by the way, the same term was used to praise him when bottas was struggling to heat up his tyres in previous grand prixes. so trying to give a different definition is finding excuses.
tyre whisper complaining of tyres here.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/terse-ha ... of-monaco/
“Today was a question of tyres, the tyres just not working the whole way through qualifying. I don’t really have the answers to why. I kind of know but…”