2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
pantherxxx

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Verstappen only got 1. and 2. positions in this season so far. Excellent performance. He is so consistently fast it's almost scary. This guy is the next Schumacher.

Chuckjr

V12-POWER wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:50
Unf wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:39
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:32

Let's just assume it was all Mercedes but I think Lewis needs to be a bit more respectful towards his team. They've given him a mega car for 8 seasons.
Nah. Let him show his real face, not fancy smiley when everything goes nice and easy.
the guy has always been like this, plays the role of a priest when he wins then at the slightest problem throws everything and everyone under the bus.

i guess he didn’t gather enough “blessings” and “energy” from his fans today lmao

yet it’s still better than bottas who gets awfully screwed up race by race and never calls out his team
It's really true. Thank you for saying it, and I am glad others see it. As soon as things don't go his way he can't wait to crap on everyone around him. He's always been that way. Merc has given him a nearly unbeatable car for almost a decade, so we have been spared his childish petulance most of his inherited career. Will be interesting to watch him deteriorate if in 10 races he is still behind in the WC, but that's unlikely because Merc is such an awesome team, and will bounce back.

Gutted for Chaz. Sad that Ferrari didn't spot the problem while they were making repairs. What a shame.

Congratulations to Max who drove a great race start to finish.

Glad to see Perez have a good race after a sucky quali.
Watching F1 since 1986.

Sevach

matt_b wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:42
TimW wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:35
People should know by now that Monaco is not about overtaking.......
True I think there was just 1 on track overtake in 78 laps and ironically the race director cut away from it at the worst possible moment #-o
When Vettel was coming out of the pits side by side with Gasly, with Hamilton right behind, and the tv crew cut to a replay of Stroll missing the chicane yet again i yelled.

Sieper

Sevach wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:10
matt_b wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:42
TimW wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:35
People should know by now that Monaco is not about overtaking.......
True I think there was just 1 on track overtake in 78 laps and ironically the race director cut away from it at the worst possible moment #-o
When Vettel was coming out of the pits side by side with Gasly, with Hamilton right behind, and the tv crew cut to a replay of Stroll missing the chicane yet again i yelled.
:D Yes! Ahaha.

Also about that. They were about to give Stroll a (harsh) penalty, for touching the yellow pit exit line, while there was absolutely no one around (that didn’t materialize) But I watched a Vettel onboard, and he was battling 2 guys for position (with Gasly was a chilling fight) and it looked like his rear was on the yellow line as well.

For me that is totally okay, but he actually needed to eek out every millisecond there. No investigation, never clearly shown.

NathanOlder

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:28
godlameroso wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 17:46

Luckily for you, you have 22 other races to enjoy :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I meant throughout the season... Not how many left we had ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Both are wrong. We have 3 sprint races to add to that tally!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TimW

Restomaniac wrote:
23 May 2021, 22:58
TimW wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:34
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:26

It has not bothered for the last couple of decades where it has been exactly the same situation... Doesn’t bother me nowadays either.

Is it a procession? Yes... Is the “race”
Boring? Yes... Does it bring something different to the calendar? Yes!

Toughest track for the driver’s and teams... Usually a surprise or 2... Best qualifying session of the year and a historic event... I can live with it... For those that can’t, there are other 22 races in the calendar to enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I feel exactly the same about Monaco, I love the fact that it is so different than the other gp's, qualifying is great, the race is just about getting things right and collecting the points earned in qualifying.
So let’s just qualify on The Sunday and save all the hassle then.
Nah, would take the charm of the qualifying session. Just keep it as it is. But once a year. Maximum.

Sieper

Maybe next year it will be slightly better, like it still,was pre 2017. Will the new cars actually be smaller?

Edax

Sieper wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:23
Maybe next year it will be slightly better, like it still,was pre 2017. Will the new cars actually be smaller?
I think the main issue is they smoothened out the hump between the tunnel exit and the chicane. That used to be the only legitimate place for passing but it seems to be much more difficult since the braking has become much easier.

Restomaniac

TimW wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:19
Restomaniac wrote:
23 May 2021, 22:58
TimW wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:34

I feel exactly the same about Monaco, I love the fact that it is so different than the other gp's, qualifying is great, the race is just about getting things right and collecting the points earned in qualifying.
So let’s just qualify on The Sunday and save all the hassle then.
Nah, would take the charm of the qualifying session. Just keep it as it is. But once a year. Maximum.
But the points are ‘earned in qualifying’ so why bother with the boring procession? Just qualify on Sunday and give them straight out then. Unless you’re saying there needs to be an actual race to earn them? Which instantly discounts Monaco as it isn’t really a race. Instead it’s a procession that can literally be won with a broken engine!

siskue2005

Chuckjr wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:09

It's really true. Thank you for saying it, and I am glad others see it. As soon as things don't go his way he can't wait to crap on everyone around him. He's always been that way. Merc has given him a nearly unbeatable car for almost a decade, so we have been spared his childish petulance most of his inherited career.
Could you give proof for your statement there?
Why so much hate? And why the name calling?

Hamilton is thinking about the race, then no he has nothing to learn from that race, qualifying yes, which he already addressed yesterday and blamed himself and the car. Today for sure the team has some things to look at and learn, nothing unreasonable about Hamiltons comments.
And which driver on the grid has never said anything over the radio or over press conference when there has been a big eff ups like today?

siskue2005

Mick's race was also sabotaged by his team today... he was running infornt and they gave better pitstop for Mazepin. Then they didn't allow his position back

Sieper

Edax wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:33
Sieper wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:23
I think the main issue is they smoothened out the hump between the tunnel exit and the chicane. That used to be the only legitimate place for passing but it seems to be much more difficult since the braking has become much easier.
Hey, very good point. I wasn’t aware, but now you bring it up. Totally right. But it was also very crash likely and that no longer happens (almost). Yeah, this was the last place.

Sieper

siskue2005 wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:50

Mick's race was also sabotaged by his team today... he was running infornt and they gave better pitstop for Mazepin. Then they didn't allow his position back
Well, have a look how Mick took the position from Mazepin. That was an impossible move and Mazepin saved them both there. Maybe the team repayed him like that?

basti313

TimW wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:41
Why did everybody pit for hards? After 30+ laps on softs(and softs at the end of their stints doing better laptimes than new hards), 50 laps on mediums should be ok, shouldn't it?
Only Ocon used the Medium in a comparable way. On one side I would say he was a bit quicker from the pits. But there is no clear evidence, Gio was similarly in pace. But he lost against Stroll after 7 good laps.
So I would say that Ham on Mediums would have prevented the overcut by Gas and, thus, Vet. Vet overtook because of the bad outlap of Gas....same here. But the tires lost their top range after 7 laps and then even Per would have been a thread.
So I think they did not use the Med as the advantage on anything used was not lasting long enough.
Don`t russel the hamster!

i70q7m7ghw

Schuttelberg wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:32

Let's just assume it was all Mercedes but I think Lewis needs to be a bit more respectful towards his team. They've given him a mega car for 8 seasons.
Seemed like a fairly open honest interview, he didn't say anything incendiary. Obviously dutch TV were trying to create drama out of the fact he appeared to just walk off, the reality is the interviewer gave him the nod to say the interview was over. Don't be fooled by the mic, nobody is holding it, because of CV measures it's fixed to a stand.

EDIT: He also owned the performance "as a team" when talking to Sky https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ll-weekend.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 24 May 2021, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.