2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
siskue2005

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Sieper wrote:
24 May 2021, 00:00
siskue2005 wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:50

Mick's race was also sabotaged by his team today... he was running infornt and they gave better pitstop for Mazepin. Then they didn't allow his position back
Well, have a look how Mick took the position from Mazepin. That was an impossible move and Mazepin saved them both there. Maybe the team repayed him like that?
That was a total legit move, nothing like dive bomb or crash overtake. It was not an impossible move, he saw the gap and took it beautifully.

PlatinumZealot

matt_b wrote:
23 May 2021, 21:15
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:43
All that talk and mind games. Seems to me like Max is getting to Lewis!
Looks to me that Lewis is has already broken Max who can only win when Lewis is out of contention for the win like Imola and Monaco but when Lewis is up there he crumbles like in Bahrain, Portugal Spain then blames the car not being fast enough when we all know its the best out there :lol:
This!
Max gets a freebie with Lewis, Bottas and Charles handicapped and celebrations far and wide. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ispano6

matt_b wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
Looks to me that Lewis is has already broken Max who can only win when Lewis is out of contention for the win like Imola and Monaco but when Lewis is up there he crumbles like in Bahrain, Portugal Spain then blames the car not being fast enough when we all know its the best out there :lol:
Usually we see Ham and Max congratulate each other after quali and the race, but that didn't seem to happen this weekend. HAM just walked right by Max after quali. It's game on now, no more Mr. Nice guy. It's going to come down to how many more tracks suits which philosophy.

SmallSoldier

Restomaniac wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:26
Restomaniac wrote:Why can’t we have 23?

That snoozefest in on the Calendar for $$$$$$$$ it’s certainly not for racing ideals.
It has not bothered for the last couple of decades where it has been exactly the same situation... Doesn’t bother me nowadays either.

Is it a procession? Yes... Is the “race”
Boring? Yes... Does it bring something different to the calendar? Yes!

Toughest track for the driver’s and teams... Usually a surprise or 2... Best qualifying session of the year and a historic event... I can live with it... For those that can’t, there are other 22 races in the calendar to enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So we should accept an event that would put a glass eye to sleep then. :roll:
Based on this thread, social media and other outlets, not a lot of people fell asleep :)

You don’t like the event and I’m sure you are not alone... I don’t like Spain either since it is a similar procession really, Sochi and Singapore are also races that also have way below average overtakes in the calendar, should we kick those out too?

Personally, instead of focusing on what I don’t like about it, I try to focus on what could be cool about the weekend and try to enjoy it... And if there is no way I can enjoy it, it’s a free Sunday to do other stuff I guess.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

Restomaniac wrote:
TimW wrote:
23 May 2021, 23:19
Restomaniac wrote:
23 May 2021, 22:58
So let’s just qualify on The Sunday and save all the hassle then.
Nah, would take the charm of the qualifying session. Just keep it as it is. But once a year. Maximum.
But the points are ‘earned in qualifying’ so why bother with the boring procession? Just qualify on Sunday and give them straight out then. Unless you’re saying there needs to be an actual race to earn them? Which instantly discounts Monaco as it isn’t really a race. Instead it’s a procession that can literally be won with a broken engine!
Because we still have some surprises, very few, but they are still there... Checo managed to finish 4th after starting behind the top 5... Leclerc missed a great opportunity for a win... Mclaren’s podium after a decade with an special livery was also pretty cool... I’m glad we had the race :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

langedweil

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 May 2021, 02:47
matt_b wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
This!
Max gets a freebie with Lewis, Bottas and Charles handicapped and celebrations far and wide. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Whatever helps the grieve mate .. whatever helps ..
HuggaWugga !

Kingshark

PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 May 2021, 18:02
So Max basically had this race gifted to him, worse there were no other cars there to challenge him. Congrats, he drove well controlled the race. Gotta take the gifts with both hands as they say.
Gifted to him because of the incompetence of his rivals.

Leclerc damaging his car with a crash in qualifying.

Hamilton underperforming massively on Saturday and putting himself out of contention on Sunday.

Max is faster than Hamilton and cleaner than Leclerc, so it is what it is.

proteus

siskue2005 wrote:
23 May 2021, 21:16
V12-POWER wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:50
Unf wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:39

Nah. Let him show his real face, not fancy smiley when everything goes nice and easy.
the guy has always been like this, plays the role of a priest when he wins then at the slightest problem throws everything and everyone under the bus.

i guess he didn’t gather enough “blessings” and “energy” from his fans today lmao

yet it’s still better than bottas who gets awfully screwed up race by race and never calls out his team
Really?
How many races has he thrown his team under the bus? Could you list them? When has he done that at a slightest problem??

It looks like after fp3 the team over ride his decision and made changes to the car which left his car in very bad condition compared to Thursday.

Hamilton admitted that the team had failed to build on an encouraging practice day on Thursday, as changes to the set-up had sent it in completely the wrong direction when track action resumed on Saturday.

"There were lots of changes that we did in the car after FP3, because FP3 was a disaster," he said.

"And that's from the work that we've done in the last couple of days. It was completely the wrong direction, completely missed the ball.

"We then made some changes to try and take steps backwards and move the car to a different place, and the car was worse than ever. So I think we really lost our way from Thursday."

So looks like the team effed up his setup and also his race with poor strategy...so any normal human being is allowed to he critical.

Every team and driver does the same.
It is the seven time world champions job to tell the team what to change and what stays. The way you described this, it looks like he piggybacked all his 7 titles with the team actually setting him the car without his opinion.... in the end of the day he himself underdelivered. Bottas generally performed better in Monaco. Lewis will have to eat a piece of humble pie. He is prone to make more mistakes this year, and this was the first time he really paid for it. It might just fire him up, to engage his hammertime and start to grind his way to another title.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

zeph

Today felt like a mini-watershed moment; all youngsters on the podium.

Schuttelberg

Diesel wrote:
24 May 2021, 00:09
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:32

Let's just assume it was all Mercedes but I think Lewis needs to be a bit more respectful towards his team. They've given him a mega car for 8 seasons.
Seemed like a fairly open honest interview, he didn't say anything incendiary. Obviously dutch TV were trying to create drama out of the fact he appeared to just walk off, the reality is the interviewer gave him the nod to say the interview was over. Don't be fooled by the mic, nobody is holding it, because of CV measures it's fixed to a stand.

EDIT: He also owned the performance "as a team" when talking to Sky https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ll-weekend.
The journalist isn't creating any drama. May be you need to view it with more balance. When asked if there were any learnings he clearly says they're all for the team and none for him.

Let's just say that the team did ask him to go a certain route with set up, then one has to say that over the past eight years Mercedes must have done that often? How often have they been right and got Lewis a win?

You win and lose as a team. In his case, it's often this narrative that when they win it's a team effort but when they lose its just the team. It doesn't work like that. He could have won in Imola had he not put it in the kitty litter. He could have qualified better here like his team mate showed. Also, while Max is 23 and much much more raw, he conducted himself very well with Charles being in the wall. I can show you how Lewis has reacted at the same venue when he couldn't complete a lap against his championship rival?

Some people cannot accept losing and that is fine. The issue at hand is the choice of convenience where all great things are mostly down to him but he isn't to blame when it goes pear shaped. For a seven times world champion to say that about a team that has given him a championship winning car every year bar one is pretty low and shallow as far as I am concerned.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

oT v1

Didn’t watch this race but interested about Charles. Was that the first possible moment they could have known about the problems? There is a hint of ‘risk it for the pole’ rather than getting in there after quali but I’m probably very wrong.
The Power of Dreams

MtthsMlw

zeph wrote:
24 May 2021, 08:15
Today felt like a mini-watershed moment; all youngsters on the podium.
First time since 1996 that the top 3 were all on the Monaco podium for the first time

UlleGulle

We always hear that Monaco is "unfixable", but I have come to think that the real problem is the nouvelle chicane. Other than being too artificial and being the only part of the track that doesn't punish mistakes it's also near impossible to go two cars aside through. I have two humble propositions to fix it.

1. Super Easy Fix: Move the apexes 1-2 meters away from the seaside. Insert a DRS-zone between the chicane and Tabac, with the detection point at the exit of the tunnel. A car covering the inside in NC will have to yield the inside on Tabac with very little opportunity to take the position back.

2. Harder fix: Remove the Nouvelle Chicane, and lead cars directly onto the Quai des Etats-Unis. Insert a new chicane at Port Palace Hotel, going to the Aveneu JF. Kennedy and back again. Insert a DRS-zone if possible. Will need to chop down some tree's though.

Tire management snoozefests are always the consequence of lack of overtaking possibilities. So by fixing that, better races will follow.

Sieper

Schuttelberg wrote:
24 May 2021, 09:15
Diesel wrote:
24 May 2021, 00:09
Schuttelberg wrote:
23 May 2021, 19:32

Let's just assume it was all Mercedes but I think Lewis needs to be a bit more respectful towards his team. They've given him a mega car for 8 seasons.
Seemed like a fairly open honest interview, he didn't say anything incendiary. Obviously dutch TV were trying to create drama out of the fact he appeared to just walk off, the reality is the interviewer gave him the nod to say the interview was over. Don't be fooled by the mic, nobody is holding it, because of CV measures it's fixed to a stand.

EDIT: He also owned the performance "as a team" when talking to Sky https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... ll-weekend.
The journalist isn't creating any drama. May be you need to view it with more balance. When asked if there were any learnings he clearly says they're all for the team and none for him.

Let's just say that the team did ask him to go a certain route with set up, then one has to say that over the past eight years Mercedes must have done that often? How often have they been right and got Lewis a win?

You win and lose as a team. In his case, it's often this narrative that when they win it's a team effort but when they lose its just the team. It doesn't work like that. He could have won in Imola had he not put it in the kitty litter. He could have qualified better here like his team mate showed. Also, while Max is 23 and much much more raw, he conducted himself very well with Charles being in the wall. I can show you how Lewis has reacted at the same venue when he couldn't complete a lap against his championship rival?

Some people cannot accept losing and that is fine. The issue at hand is the choice of convenience where all great things are mostly down to him but he isn't to blame when it goes pear shaped. For a seven times world champion to say that about a team that has given him a championship winning car every year bar one is pretty low and shallow as far as I am concerned.
This is a life lesson (to me). Very good post.

NathanOlder

UlleGulle wrote:
24 May 2021, 10:55
We always hear that Monaco is "unfixable", but I have come to think that the real problem is the nouvelle chicane. Other than being too artificial and being the only part of the track that doesn't punish mistakes it's also near impossible to go two cars aside through. I have two humble propositions to fix it.

1. Super Easy Fix: Move the apexes 1-2 meters away from the seaside. Insert a DRS-zone between the chicane and Tabac, with the detection point at the exit of the tunnel. A car covering the inside in NC will have to yield the inside on Tabac with very little opportunity to take the position back.

2. Harder fix: Remove the Nouvelle Chicane, and lead cars directly onto the Quai des Etats-Unis. Insert a new chicane at Port Palace Hotel, going to the Aveneu JF. Kennedy and back again. Insert a DRS-zone if possible. Will need to chop down some tree's though.

Tire management snoozefests are always the consequence of lack of overtaking possibilities. So by fixing that, better races will follow.
Just scrap it and go to Le Mans instead. The race with most laps replaced by a race with least laps.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC