2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

UlleGulle wrote:
24 May 2021, 10:55
We always hear that Monaco is "unfixable", but I have come to think that the real problem is the nouvelle chicane. Other than being too artificial and being the only part of the track that doesn't punish mistakes it's also near impossible to go two cars aside through. I have two humble propositions to fix it.

1. Super Easy Fix: Move the apexes 1-2 meters away from the seaside. Insert a DRS-zone between the chicane and Tabac, with the detection point at the exit of the tunnel. A car covering the inside in NC will have to yield the inside on Tabac with very little opportunity to take the position back.

2. Harder fix: Remove the Nouvelle Chicane, and lead cars directly onto the Quai des Etats-Unis. Insert a new chicane at Port Palace Hotel, going to the Aveneu JF. Kennedy and back again. Insert a DRS-zone if possible. Will need to chop down some tree's though.

Tire management snoozefests are always the consequence of lack of overtaking possibilities. So by fixing that, better races will follow.
If you could somehow (re?)introduce one viable overtake spot Monaco would be a thriller. Because you cán find speed here, it is just at the cost of crashing earlier. So if you can overtake we would see people pushing even more. And probably also more crashing, which is never a good thing (possible injuries aside) as it introduces the luck factor (semi free pitstops for some) but it does also create excitement.

AnthonyG

UlleGulle wrote:
We always hear that Monaco is "unfixable", but I have come to think that the real problem is the nouvelle chicane. Other than being too artificial and being the only part of the track that doesn't punish mistakes it's also near impossible to go two cars aside through. I have two humble propositions to fix it.

1. Super Easy Fix: Move the apexes 1-2 meters away from the seaside. Insert a DRS-zone between the chicane and Tabac, with the detection point at the exit of the tunnel. A car covering the inside in NC will have to yield the inside on Tabac with very little opportunity to take the position back.

2. Harder fix: Remove the Nouvelle Chicane, and lead cars directly onto the Quai des Etats-Unis. Insert a new chicane at Port Palace Hotel, going to the Aveneu JF. Kennedy and back again. Insert a DRS-zone if possible. Will need to chop down some tree's though.

Tire management snoozefests are always the consequence of lack of overtaking possibilities. So by fixing that, better races will follow.
Easiest fix is to make the cars smallers. These things are just way too big, I don't see the point. Fans don't want a seven metre obese behemoth.
On top of that smaller cars create extra opportunities on every track the circus visits.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

Sieper

Yep. Are Next years car’s smaller? By regulation?

UlleGulle

AnthonyG wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:11
UlleGulle wrote:

Easiest fix is to make the cars smallers. These things are just way too big, I don't see the point. Fans don't want a seven metre obese behemoth.
On top of that smaller cars create extra opportunities on every track the circus visits.
Remembering 2001, I'm not sure David Coulthard would agree with you. And the propositions are not excluding each other. I would love smaller cars, but I don't think it in itself will fix Monaco, unless we merge F1 with the go kart championship.

sosic2121

NathanOlder wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:33
Lewis should think about backing up Max into...
lol, not something Lewis would ever do. Never ever been a dirty driver.
I guess it was his evil twin in Abu Dhabi 2016 #-o

jjn9128

Sieper wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:12
Yep. Are Next years car’s smaller? By regulation?
Nope. Probably a bit longer as a matter of fact. Heavier too.
UlleGulle wrote:

Lucas DiGrassi was claiming on Twitter to have a solution but wouldn’t say 😂
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Sieper

Putting him in a F1 car and seeing him overtake everyone probably 😃

jjn9128

sosic2121 wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:31
NathanOlder wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
23 May 2021, 16:33
Lewis should think about backing up Max into...
This is what annoys me about modern fans. Their guy can do no wrong. Hamilton was acting like a petulant child all Sunday. He talks a big game about win/lose as a team but when the chips are down it’s the teams fault, 2016 all over again.

He qualified out of position at a track where you can’t overtake. Chalk it up to experience and move on. The team which gave him 70 odd wins, 6 titles and 7 chances at a title isn’t suddenly against him.

If teams went purely with drivers’ suggestions on setup they go wrong 99% of the time. Drivers drive. Engineers engineer. They come together and try and work it out but the engineering is led by the team not the drivers.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Still haven’t caught up on the race; seems like I shouldn’t even bother.

I believe I read a few years ago there was a substantial reclamation project in prelim at Monaco? I don’t know whether that’s been shelved or not as there was a possibility of extending the track into new areas which might save racing at this venue. Short of a complete revamp of the weekend, I don’t see how else to save the Monaco GP.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

sosic2121

jjn9128 wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:41
sosic2121 wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:31
NathanOlder wrote:

This is what annoys me about modern fans. Their guy can do no wrong. Hamilton was acting like a petulant child all Sunday. He talks a big game about win/lose as a team but when the chips are down it’s the teams fault, 2016 all over again.

He qualified out of position at a track where you can’t overtake. Chalk it up to experience and move on. The team which gave him 70 odd wins, 6 titles and 7 chances at a title isn’t suddenly against him.

If teams went purely with drivers’ suggestions on setup they go wrong 90% of the time. Drivers drive. Engineers engineer. They come together and try and work it out but the engineering is led by the team not the drivers.
I have nothing against the guy, but some of his fans are just too subjective. As a consequence, he has just as many haters as he has fans.

hollus

Potential, cheap, Monaco GP saver: Just for this race, 3 mandatory pit stops, plus use all three compounds.
Rivals, not enemies.

jjn9128

sosic2121 wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:45
I have nothing against the guy, but some of his fans are just too subjective. As a consequence, he has just as many haters as he has fans.
It’s telling that Hamilton and Verstappen are more convivial with one another than fans of Hamilton and Verstappen. Add Vettel in there too.
#aerogandalf

jjn9128

hollus wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:48
Potential, cheap, Monaco GP saver: Just for this race, 3 mandatory pit stops, plus use all three compounds.
Add some joker loops though the harbour.
#aerogandalf

Edax

214270 wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:43
Still haven’t caught up on the race; seems like I shouldn’t even bother.

I believe I read a few years ago there was a substantial reclamation project in prelim at Monaco? I don’t know whether that’s been shelved or not as there was a possibility of extending the track into new areas which might save racing at this venue. Short of a complete revamp of the weekend, I don’t see how else to save the Monaco GP.
I think you are right that there was an idea to extend the track on a land reclamation (portier cove). But if I look at the current construction plans it does not look like it can accommodate track.

RZS10

jjn9128 wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:57
hollus wrote:
24 May 2021, 11:48
Add some joker loops though the harbour.
?