McLaren MP4-20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Irvingthien

Project 4 is Ron Dennis' company which manufactures carbon, when both the team and the company merged, they started making carbon bodied F1 cars, that's why they called it MP4.

wowf1

I was just looking at one of the high res images someone posted and noticed the air intake above Kimi's head! Usually the intake is a triangular equilateral-ish shape, or circle, or even a polygon. Although its still a triangle shape, its much taller and slimmer i think. It looks like it suits the unorthodox shape of the air box which is also slim.

Not really a major point but while we're all being picky and paying close attention to detail :D

rob

LevinXRS

Project 4 was a Formula 3 racing team owned by Ron Dennis. He bought Team Mclaren thus the name MP4 (Mclaren Project 4). The monocoque were of carbon fiber made by the Hercules Co. in the USA for Mclaren.

thinkgeek
thinkgeek

MP-4

Guys, I think I read at Mclaren's website in their history that MP-4 stands for Marlboro Project Four, and nevertheless since Marlboro parted ways with Mclaren the initials have remained the same.

Micky

What do you think of McLaren's new "roll hoop mid wing"???

http://www.planet-f1.com/photo_gallery/ ... 8599.shtml

kevinp
kevinp

how come the west logo is no longer displayed on the rear wing? could it be that the Johnny Walker rumors are true?

West

kevinp wrote:how come the west logo is no longer displayed on the rear wing? could it be that the Johnny Walker rumors are true?
I think Reetsma is ready to pull out before that stupid deadline, so they probably want to sneak a few ads in (less money) before the finally pull out.
Bring back wider rear wings, V10s, and tobacco advertisements

Spencifer_Murphy

I just read a small article in this month's F1 Racing magazine, called "lost in Translation". For those who don't read it, the column "translates" F1 jargon and business discussions in to terms that your average joe can understand and make sense of. This month's one is quite interesting:

Martin Witmarsh, Mclaren CEO says:
" We're not commenting on the future of the West branding. We're expecting to see other sponsors come into the frame on a long-term basis. Could one of these be a drinks manufacturer? It could well be..."

The magainze translates this as:
"You guys in F1 Racing got that Johnnie Walker story spot-on last month. The West logos will disappear after July 31 2005. New Sponsors Diageo, in the form of thier Johnnie Walker whiskey brand, will appear on the airbox in time for the first race [after the tabacco ban] and they'll have the option to increase their commitment during the season"

Interesting eh?
Silence is golden when you don't know a good answer.