2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sieper

Re: 2021 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 20 - 23

Thanks guys, I get it could be much more difficult to redesign an engine. But that still does not make clear why it was being addressed in such baby steps. Was It really that impossible to stop doing on existing engines? I mean, it was engineered for a benefit, not as a necessity. I would love to really know that decision making. How does that work. Team execs and FIA come together and discuss frank behind closed doors. And we never hear the real truth. Only politics and smoke and mirrors, pr talk.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 00:05
Only politics and smoke and mirrors, pr talk.
In my opinion, that's the biggest issue with F1 right now.

Instead of the FIA blindly governing the sport they get involved with the show. Liberty, has their hands in the governance, and the teams are involved in both.

There are far too many conflicting interest play right now!
197 104 103 7

SmallSoldier

Sieper wrote:Thanks guys, I get it could be much more difficult to redesign an engine. But that still does not make clear why it was being addressed in such baby steps. Was It really that impossible to stop doing on existing engines? I mean, it was engineered for a benefit, not as a necessity. I would love to really know that decision making. How does that work. Team execs and FIA come together and discuss frank behind closed doors. And we never hear the real truth. Only politics and smoke and mirrors, pr talk.
What suprime me more than that is that no team protested about it, which tells me that all teams were “burning oil”... If it would have been against the rules and an advantage only for Mercedes, the likes or RB-Honda, Ferrari or Renault would have protested right away... There was no such action, which probably also explains the timing for the changes to be introduced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sieper

I too think that is what we are seeing. Just maybe the big car production firms quitting F1 could be better for the competition, and then FIA ruling fairly and more independently? No longer those multibillion corporate interests needing to protect their brands advertisement investment? Sure, we always will have Ferrari, but they are a far smaller company then say a Honda or Mercedes and even if they don’t win, it still adds to their brand that they race, the drama etc. Mercedes really needs to win to sell AMG updated cars. Honda, I never was fully sure, and to a lesser extent Renault, on why they needed to win in F1. Honda is not a brand with say an AMG like option. Let’s see how this goes over the coming years.
Last edited by Sieper on 05 Jun 2021, 00:22, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

SmallSoldier wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 00:15
Sieper wrote:Thanks guys, I get it could be much more difficult to redesign an engine. But that still does not make clear why it was being addressed in such baby steps. Was It really that impossible to stop doing on existing engines? I mean, it was engineered for a benefit, not as a necessity. I would love to really know that decision making. How does that work. Team execs and FIA come together and discuss frank behind closed doors. And we never hear the real truth. Only politics and smoke and mirrors, pr talk.
What suprime me more than that is that no team protested about it, which tells me that all teams were “burning oil”... If it would have been against the rules and an advantage only for Mercedes, the likes or RB-Honda, Ferrari or Renault would have protested right away... There was no such action, which probably also explains the timing for the changes to be introduced.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That sounds very reasonable. But Renault made a point of only burning 0.1 and the others never said, Hah :lol:

e30ernest

Sieper wrote:
05 Jun 2021, 00:05
Was It really that impossible to stop doing on existing engines? I mean, it was engineered for a benefit, not as a necessity.
It is possible the engines are using the oil in their combustion chamber to lubricate things like valves, piston rings and cylinder sleeves. Maybe it was going too big a change to maintain the mandated reliability to change the oil consumption limits in one go.