2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2021 Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Sieper wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 16:17
He seemed to misjudge the clutch on initial get away. Or can hydraulics play a role there already? Something that can still happen on a sixth race in a new ecosystem.
From AMuS:

The hydraulic pressure in the RB16B slowly dropped in the second half of the race. There was great concern that the car would not hold out.

For the second standing start of the day after the demolition, the eventual winner [Perez] was not even allowed to properly condition his tires.
"The team gave me the instruction not to drive any serpentine lines. That way I had cold tires and Lewis next to me warm."
Background: The power steering is also attached to the hydraulics.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... se-rennen/
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wouter wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 18:13
Sieper wrote:
He seemed to misjudge the clutch on initial get away. Or can hydraulics play a role there already? Something that can still happen on a sixth race in a new ecosystem.
From AMuS:

The hydraulic pressure in the RB16B slowly dropped in the second half of the race. There was great concern that the car would not hold out.

For the second standing start of the day after the demolition, the eventual winner [Perez] was not even allowed to properly condition his tires.
"The team gave me the instruction not to drive any serpentine lines. That way I had cold tires and Lewis next to me warm."
Background: The power steering is also attached to the hydraulics.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... se-rennen/
Yea, he would have been done if the power steering went out. Given the size of the wheel (the steering one), and minimum amount of rotation it has, even a bodybuilder would have a hard time steering the car without any hydraulic assistance.
197 104 103 7

wowgr8

Sieper wrote:
Yup I hope he and Red Bull examine that so it doesn't go wrong again, he got lucky on this occasion

Sieper

Yes, very much so, otherwise Lewis would have collected him. But that is Racing, sometimes you must be lucky, not unlucky 😀

Pyrone89

These 31 points advantage being nullified could prove critical (19 points in Imola due to HAM red flag situation, 11 points here in Baku). Especially now that all the street tracks have been run and normal operation will resume (W12 fastest car on normal tracks) 😞. Possible defining moment of 2021 title (Baku + Imola).
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

wowgr8

It could've been way worse had Lewis not decided to be a gent on Sunday. AMuS said the next PU is being tuned for reliability, Honda being able to utilize full power should help Red Bull, that's the biggest source of hope at the moment

Roostfactor

wowgr8 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 00:33
Any F1TV user here? Can someone please check Perez radio on his way to the grid for his start from pole? Apparently he was told to avoid weaving and burnouts and that affected his start, can someone confirm? And aren't commands on the recon/formation lap illegal?
I watched Perez's onboards to see what I could decipher.
I didn't hear much about the problem but his engineer did say during Max's safety car and up to the restart not to:

Turn the wheel any more than necessary
(I think) minimize shifts
Not to perform clutch bite point find procedure

Basically minimize everything that had to do with hydraulics.

hkbruin

During the restart, I noticed on the onboard camera footage from Perez compared to Gasly, Checo's RB16B had really rough idling as you can see the left mirror bouncing from the vibrations. Gasly's on the other hand was smooth and didn't sound like the bottom was going to fall out!

Dee
Dee

hkbruin wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 03:49
During the restart, I noticed on the onboard camera footage from Perez compared to Gasly, Checo's RB16B had really rough idling as you can see the left mirror bouncing from the vibrations. Gasly's on the other hand was smooth and didn't sound like the bottom was going to fall out!
Did AT get the new engine this wkd but we didn't hear of it? They were in the top 10 when past races they were nowhere and the reliability issue was vibrations...

ispano6

Dee wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 08:58
hkbruin wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 03:49
Did AT get the new engine this wkd but we didn't hear of it? They were in the top 10 when past races they were nowhere and the reliability issue was vibrations...
Tanabe stated that no new engines were introduced in Baku. He did use a rather strange term in an earlier interview where he said that the PU required a bit of "cool out" but he used that phrase in the context of the Japanese language which means to calm down or settle in.

_cerber1

etusch

More Honda Power is always wellcome.

Pyrone89

wowgr8 wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 23:28
It could've been way worse had Lewis not decided to be a gent on Sunday. AMuS said the next PU is being tuned for reliability, Honda being able to utilize full power should help Red Bull, that's the biggest source of hope at the moment
The coming years, until RB starts with their own design, these reliability updates will mean the Honda-package will fall further and further behind, as Honda will not be involved anymore. So it has to happen this year for Red Bull.

Pyrone89

_cerber1 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 10:11
Wait what. Honda V6 last run on the test bench? So from now on Honda will start dropping back as other manufacturers are still improving their designs on the test bench. Very bad news for the future if true.

Hope he means this specific update has passed the last final check on the test bench.

GhostF1

Pyrone89 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 15:49
_cerber1 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 10:11
Wait what. Honda V6 last run on the test bench? So from now on Honda will start dropping back as other manufacturers are still improving their designs on the test bench. Very bad news for the future if true.

Hope he means this specific update has passed the last final check on the test bench.
I think you're reading into that a little bit too much. That would imply for this specification which is a reliability jump. Honda are still developing the 2022 Power Unit for RBR with the new biofuel requirement, so be assured those are on the test benches in Sakura.