2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

tpe wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 18:45
Sevach wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 07:24
Carl Mccoy wrote:
06 Jun 2021, 17:49
Ferrari have a such poor tyre management.
Charles wanted to go to battle with Max and Lewis, i don't blame his ambition but he ran too close too fast in the beggining of the race.

I also don't know if the early stop was wise, yes, Lewis, Max and Perez had overtaken and were going away.
Still the team should've looked at how much he was winning/losing to the rest of the pack rather than these 3, i currently don't have this info, but i think the team might've overreacted, the win was never on the cards.
Of course not!
Team was actually LATE. That's how PG passed him!
Gasly stopped later than Charles :roll:

tpe
tpe

Yes. But CL tyres were already dead.
Of course the team has all the data and I don't know if a stop 1-2 laps earlier would make any difference.
So far, team is OK regarding the strategy and the Portugal issue with the tyres, I think, it got them of guard.

We will later in the season if they learned something from the process.

LM10

Does anyone know if there was any other part despite the floor wing damaged on the car of Sainz after his Q3 crash? Was the only reason for him to stop that the wing was stuck under the car?

wowgr8

LM10 wrote:
08 Jun 2021, 22:34
Does anyone know if there was any other part despite the floor wing damaged on the car of Sainz after his Q3 crash? Was the only reason for him to stop that the wing was stuck under the car?
No PU damage if that's what you're asking. Yes he only had to stop because of the wing

Andres125sx

LM10 wrote:
The session was red flagged, there was no reason to continue with the wing under the wheels

F1NAC

tpe
tpe

Now, that's a big change in the direction of the company.
At least that's my understanding from his background.

JPBD1990

F1NAC wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 08:35
Ferrari new CEO is Benedetto Vigna

https://www.ferrari.com/en-EN/articles/ ... ll_organic
I hope he doesn’t come in like a steamroller and mix up everything that Binotto has been building. That would be absolute worst case scenario. Leave them to it! It’s working

wowgr8

That is exactly what I thought. I hope it's not like the Renault situation where a new CEO comes in and rips everything up

JPower

I doubt he changes anything for the F1 team if Elkann is happy with how things are progressing.

wowgr8

https://the-race.com/formula-1/key-deta ... -revealed/

KEY DETAILS OF FERRARI’S AMBITIOUS 2022 F1 ENGINE REVEALED

Although Ferrari has looked very closely at the split turbo concept – whereby the compressor is mounted at the front of the engine and the turbine further back, linked by a shaft running through the vee of the engine – it has decided not to follow that philosophy for the new engine.

The innovations are understood to include the intercooler solution and significant gains are believed to have been found in the energy recovery’s electrical system but the real innovation may be in the combustion technology.

[...]

Although the architecture will remain ‘conventional’ in terms of the turbo’s layout, the intercooler and other changes are understood to allow for a significantly more compact package than the current unit.

[...]

With Alpine having unofficially confirmed that Renault will switch to a split turbo for its 2022 engine, that leaves only Ferrari in the combined turbine/compressor camp.

LM10

wowgr8 wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 01:32
LM10 wrote:
No PU damage if that's what you're asking. Yes he only had to stop because of the wing
I didn't mean the PU, but parts like the suspension system as he hit the wall with rear right. But if it was only the front wing, my question is answered, thanks.

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 07:44
The session was red flagged, there was no reason to continue with the wing under the wheels
Didn't think of that. That makes sense of course.

F1NAC

LM10 wrote:
You can always check FIA report. Parts that were changed during parc ferme before the race

LM10

F1NAC wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 16:42
LM10 wrote:
You can always check FIA report. Parts that were changed during parc ferme before the race
You're right! I forgot about that, thank you for remembering me.

Seems like in addition to the front wing, left and right rear brake calipers as well as complete left and right rear outboard corner assemblies (whatever that means) were changed.

codetower

wowgr8 wrote:
09 Jun 2021, 16:21
https://the-race.com/formula-1/key-deta ... -revealed/

KEY DETAILS OF FERRARI’S AMBITIOUS 2022 F1 ENGINE REVEALED

Although Ferrari has looked very closely at the split turbo concept – whereby the compressor is mounted at the front of the engine and the turbine further back, linked by a shaft running through the vee of the engine – it has decided not to follow that philosophy for the new engine.

The innovations are understood to include the intercooler solution and significant gains are believed to have been found in the energy recovery’s electrical system but the real innovation may be in the combustion technology.

[...]

Although the architecture will remain ‘conventional’ in terms of the turbo’s layout, the intercooler and other changes are understood to allow for a significantly more compact package than the current unit.

[...]

With Alpine having unofficially confirmed that Renault will switch to a split turbo for its 2022 engine, that leaves only Ferrari in the combined turbine/compressor camp.
Is there an advantage to going split turbo vs combined or is it just "another way of doing things"? I sure hope Ferrari aren't falling further behind the pack by sticking to the combined turbine/compressor approach. It will be interesting to see if it pays off to go against the norm. I sure hope it works...