Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer
94
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Maybe Honda found some efficiency in changeover fase from E-Supercharge to normal Turbo operation. There was some theory in the past, how blowdown energy from the exhaust could be usable to drive the turbine, even when the wastegate was still opened for E-supercharge mode and exhaust pressure has not built up yet.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala
6
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:54 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

A ‘’turbo-supercharger/turbocharger’ is an exhaust power recovery device. In a ‘’turbo-supercharger/turbocharger’ installation cylinders exhaust into a common collector with ‘two’ paths, one through a variable opening waste-gate, and the other through a nozzle aimed at a turbine wheel. With waste-gate fully open, there is no restriction, and collector pressure is nearly atmospheric. No power recovery is possible in such a system unless the collector is above existing atmospheric pressure. The formula one turbocharger utilizes a pressure turbine. When the waste-gates are fully open, the compressor is operating in ‘’electric supercharging mode’’.

DR30
DR30
2
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:23 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Anyone else notice the smoky Mercedes power-units are are back at key times of the race?

User avatar
_cerber1
232
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:50 pm
Location: From Russia with love

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Any news on the engine upgrade? Has it already happened, or are we waiting for it in the Spa?

rickybobbyf1
rickybobbyf1
0
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:22 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

DR30 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 pm
Anyone else notice the smoky Mercedes power-units are are back at key times of the race?
I noticed DR’s McL smoking on the first stint last race.

User avatar
djos
164
Joined: Fri May 19, 2006 5:09 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:26 am
DR30 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 pm
Anyone else notice the smoky Mercedes power-units are are back at key times of the race?
I noticed DR’s McL smoking on the first stint last race.
It was apparently just due to a slight overfill during the red flag period.
The impossible often has a kind of integrity which the merely improbable lacks.

OO7
OO7
135
Joined: Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

You get a brief look at what I think is the 2020 Mercedes PU in this video:

Titchener
Titchener
0
Joined: Thu May 03, 2018 3:21 pm

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

DR30 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 pm
Anyone else notice the smoky Mercedes power-units are are back at key times of the race?
I noticed this twice at the start of two races. Think it was Valtteri on Sunday and Lewis on Saturday

DR30
DR30
2
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:23 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Titchener wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:47 am
DR30 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 pm
Anyone else notice the smoky Mercedes power-units are are back at key times of the race?
I noticed this twice at the start of two races. Think it was Valtteri on Sunday and Lewis on Saturday
Yeah and the Aston Martins, Mclaren's and Williams if you look close.

DR30
DR30
2
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:23 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

djos wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:40 am
rickybobbyf1 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:26 am
DR30 wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:05 pm
Anyone else notice the smoky Mercedes power-units are are back at key times of the race?
I noticed DR’s McL smoking on the first stint last race.
It was apparently just due to a slight overfill during the red flag period.
Bit suspicious if they need to top up oil after one lap, wonder what the reason for such huge one lap oil consumption could be?

Jolle
Jolle
256
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Don’t think it’s over filling. This are dry sump engines and the oil levels are very regulated (because of oil burning). Maybe it’s something else, I could imagine that for the initial startup they, for instance, spray a little oil down the air intake for the initial startup for the turbo. (Just very guessing here)

zibby43
zibby43
669
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

Jolle wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Don’t think it’s over filling. This are dry sump engines and the oil levels are very regulated (because of oil burning). Maybe it’s something else, I could imagine that for the initial startup they, for instance, spray a little oil down the air intake for the initial startup for the turbo. (Just very guessing here)
This was Toto Wolff at last year’s Hungarian GP:

“You can see it when the oil tank is filled up at the beginning, we seem to have an issue that the oil gets out of the chassis.

“We don’t know where that comes from, but it seems [to be] when we fill it up to the top we are not in much control of how much escapes at the beginning.”

DR30
DR30
2
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:23 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 pm
Jolle wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Don’t think it’s over filling. This are dry sump engines and the oil levels are very regulated (because of oil burning). Maybe it’s something else, I could imagine that for the initial startup they, for instance, spray a little oil down the air intake for the initial startup for the turbo. (Just very guessing here)
This was Toto Wolff at last year’s Hungarian GP:

“You can see it when the oil tank is filled up at the beginning, we seem to have an issue that the oil gets out of the chassis.

“We don’t know where that comes from, but it seems [to be] when we fill it up to the top we are not in much control of how much escapes at the beginning.”
I wonder why the "issue" has made a re-occurrence now?

zibby43
zibby43
669
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:16 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

DR30 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:18 pm
zibby43 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 pm
Jolle wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:08 pm
Don’t think it’s over filling. This are dry sump engines and the oil levels are very regulated (because of oil burning). Maybe it’s something else, I could imagine that for the initial startup they, for instance, spray a little oil down the air intake for the initial startup for the turbo. (Just very guessing here)
This was Toto Wolff at last year’s Hungarian GP:

“You can see it when the oil tank is filled up at the beginning, we seem to have an issue that the oil gets out of the chassis.

“We don’t know where that comes from, but it seems [to be] when we fill it up to the top we are not in much control of how much escapes at the beginning.”
I wonder why the "issue" has made a re-occurrence now?
Just go ahead and spit out whatever accusation you have. Would love to hear it.

Half of your posts are insinuating Merc are up to something, whether it be the shark fin or the PU.

DR30
DR30
2
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:23 am

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Post

zibby43 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:48 am
DR30 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:18 pm
zibby43 wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:51 pm


This was Toto Wolff at last year’s Hungarian GP:

“You can see it when the oil tank is filled up at the beginning, we seem to have an issue that the oil gets out of the chassis.

“We don’t know where that comes from, but it seems [to be] when we fill it up to the top we are not in much control of how much escapes at the beginning.”
I wonder why the "issue" has made a re-occurrence now?
Just go ahead and spit out whatever accusation you have. Would love to hear it.

Half of your posts are insinuating Merc are up to something, whether it be the shark fin or the PU.
Just observations. Interesting none the less. Do you disagree and not even wonder just a little bit?