Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
NL_Fer

Re: Mercedes Power Unit Hardware & Software

Maybe Honda found some efficiency in changeover fase from E-Supercharge to normal Turbo operation. There was some theory in the past, how blowdown energy from the exhaust could be usable to drive the turbine, even when the wastegate was still opened for E-supercharge mode and exhaust pressure has not built up yet.

saviour stivala

A ‘’turbo-supercharger/turbocharger’ is an exhaust power recovery device. In a ‘’turbo-supercharger/turbocharger’ installation cylinders exhaust into a common collector with ‘two’ paths, one through a variable opening waste-gate, and the other through a nozzle aimed at a turbine wheel. With waste-gate fully open, there is no restriction, and collector pressure is nearly atmospheric. No power recovery is possible in such a system unless the collector is above existing atmospheric pressure. The formula one turbocharger utilizes a pressure turbine. When the waste-gates are fully open, the compressor is operating in ‘’electric supercharging mode’’.

DR30

Anyone else notice the smoky Mercedes power-units are are back at key times of the race?

_cerber1

Any news on the engine upgrade? Has it already happened, or are we waiting for it in the Spa?

rickybobbyf1

DR30 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 00:05
Anyone else notice the smoky Mercedes power-units are are back at key times of the race?
I noticed DR’s McL smoking on the first stint last race.

djos

rickybobbyf1 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 05:26
DR30 wrote:
It was apparently just due to a slight overfill during the red flag period.
"In downforce we trust"

OO7
OO7

You get a brief look at what I think is the 2020 Mercedes PU in this video:

Titchener

DR30 wrote:
I noticed this twice at the start of two races. Think it was Valtteri on Sunday and Lewis on Saturday

DR30

Titchener wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 11:47
DR30 wrote:
I noticed this twice at the start of two races. Think it was Valtteri on Sunday and Lewis on Saturday
Yeah and the Aston Martins, Mclaren's and Williams if you look close.

DR30

djos wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 05:40
rickybobbyf1 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 05:26
DR30 wrote:
It was apparently just due to a slight overfill during the red flag period.
Bit suspicious if they need to top up oil after one lap, wonder what the reason for such huge one lap oil consumption could be?

Jolle

Don’t think it’s over filling. This are dry sump engines and the oil levels are very regulated (because of oil burning). Maybe it’s something else, I could imagine that for the initial startup they, for instance, spray a little oil down the air intake for the initial startup for the turbo. (Just very guessing here)

zibby43

Jolle wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 13:08
Don’t think it’s over filling. This are dry sump engines and the oil levels are very regulated (because of oil burning). Maybe it’s something else, I could imagine that for the initial startup they, for instance, spray a little oil down the air intake for the initial startup for the turbo. (Just very guessing here)
This was Toto Wolff at last year’s Hungarian GP:

“You can see it when the oil tank is filled up at the beginning, we seem to have an issue that the oil gets out of the chassis.

“We don’t know where that comes from, but it seems [to be] when we fill it up to the top we are not in much control of how much escapes at the beginning.”

DR30

zibby43 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 23:51
Jolle wrote:

“You can see it when the oil tank is filled up at the beginning, we seem to have an issue that the oil gets out of the chassis.

“We don’t know where that comes from, but it seems [to be] when we fill it up to the top we are not in much control of how much escapes at the beginning.”
I wonder why the "issue" has made a re-occurrence now?

zibby43

DR30 wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 00:18
zibby43 wrote:
Jolle wrote:

Just go ahead and spit out whatever accusation you have. Would love to hear it.

Half of your posts are insinuating Merc are up to something, whether it be the shark fin or the PU.

DR30

zibby43 wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 04:48
DR30 wrote:
23 Jul 2021, 00:18
zibby43 wrote:

Just go ahead and spit out whatever accusation you have. Would love to hear it.

Half of your posts are insinuating Merc are up to something, whether it be the shark fin or the PU.
Just observations. Interesting none the less. Do you disagree and not even wonder just a little bit?