2021 Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPower

Re: 2021 Ferrari F1 Team

tpe wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 20:06
This race highlighted the issues with tyre management.
I count it as a strategy mistake.

IMHO they should try a 2 stop strategy.
2 stop would not have helped with anything. Charles pitted after what...20 laps on the hards? His mediums were toast within 5 laps and he couldn't get past Giovinazzi with much older tires.

I'm surprised Carlos was able to hold on to 11th with the pace they had.

Someone in the chassis department screwed up, similar to what happened at Portimao. Let's hope they have it solved for Austria. They might have to start trading some quali results for race pace.

LM10

I don't think today's horrible race pace was because they focused on quali. Something just went really wrong today and that needs to be addressed/analysed going into the next race.
Even the team was somewhat surprised and didn't understand the weakest race performance of this season. High track temperature is a thing the SF21 does not like in races, but that alone is not the answer to today's pace.

Big Mangalhit

I heard rumours that Ferrari had problems with the new tyre pressure procedures that aim to clampdown the tricks teams were using to run lower pressures.
But I thought these tricks were more the Aston Martin and RB side but Ferrari did look in worse shape of tyre wear than those teams after the new procedures today.

Anyone knows a bit more about this?

JPower

Big Mangalhit wrote:
20 Jun 2021, 23:23
I heard rumours that Ferrari had problems with the new tyre pressure procedures that aim to clampdown the tricks teams were using to run lower pressures.
But I thought these tricks were more the Aston Martin and RB side but Ferrari did look in worse shape of tyre wear than those teams after the new procedures today.

Anyone knows a bit more about this?
No, Binotto said that was not the case as the fronts were the problem, not the rears.

tpe
tpe

Didn't Pirelli increased pressure for the front axle?

Vasconia

At least the car has a good one-lap pace, and they say its easier to bring some race pace when the car is genuinely fast than doing the opposite. So, let´s remain positive and think that they can solve this problem.

sosic2121

Vasconia wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 08:26
At least the car has a good one-lap pace, and they say its easier to bring some race pace when the car is genuinely fast than doing the opposite. So, let´s remain positive and think that they can solve this problem.
I agree (like it's easier to make quick car reliable than vice versa).
But still, pace difference is incredible.
This started with thin gauge tires really, so I don't think it will be solved this year.

godlameroso

All is not lost, tire wear is less severe in Austria. The altitude makes high drag less of an issue.

Oh and it's going to be changeable conditions this weekend, with the temperatures going down each day.

Ferrari can do well here, and it's 2 races in a row.
Saishū kōnā

aral

Spielberg is not a high altitude track. It is only 645 m above sea level.

godlameroso

aral wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 14:02
High enough. It amounts to around 1.6" of mercury less than at sea level or almost 1 psi less. It only takes a ~.7psi pressure difference between the upper and lower surface of the wing on an airbus A320 for it to take off.

Granted it's no Mexico or Brazil but it's up there.
Saishū kōnā

JPower

godlameroso wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 13:24
All is not lost, tire wear is less severe in Austria. The altitude makes high drag less of an issue.

Oh and it's going to be changeable conditions this weekend, with the temperatures going down each day.

Ferrari can do well here, and it's 2 races in a row.
Yeah, any type of rain/wet track is going to help Ferrari a good amount. Both drivers are very good in bad conditions especially Sainz.

Carl Mccoy

Sainz was nowhere in Imola. Charles destroys him in wet. Early in the race

JPower

Anyway, Binotto seems a lot more positive about the team’s prospects headed into Austria than France.

I’m interested to see if they bring a higher df setup for this one. The car just seems to work when they can turn up the downforce.

Andres125sx

Carl Mccoy wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 20:06
Sainz was nowhere in Imola. Charles destroys him in wet. Early in the race
What race did you watch exactly? :wtf:

Sainz was very fast in the wet, very very fast, specially considering it was only his second race with Ferrari. He made some mistakes (as most of the grid with those difficult conditions) going off track, but even so he went from 11th in the grid, to 5th just behind Lecrerc, who started 4th and finished the race in same position, but only 1.5 seconds ahead of Sainz. Thanks to the red flag, ok, but his pace was extremelly good all things considered. Even if Charles was way faster, that could not be considered to be destroyed, but Charles was not way faster despite the experience with the red car difference

ryaan2904

godlameroso wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 14:44
aral wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 14:02
High enough. It amounts to around 1.6" of mercury less than at sea level or almost 1 psi less. It only takes a ~.7psi pressure difference between the upper and lower surface of the wing on an airbus A320 for it to take off.

Granted it's no Mexico or Brazil but it's up there.
That analogy was a big dub in my books =D>
CFD Eyes of Sauron