2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
e30ernest

Re: 2021 AMG Mercedes F1 Team

littlebigcat wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 18:54
SiLo wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 13:23
If this is true it could be a fairly big tactical play from them, but I somehow doubt it.
It's a completely made up conspiracy theory, but it does fill the hole in a narrative about why we haven't seen much from Mercedes beyond the bare minimum 2020 to 2021
If it is true, then it would be a HUGE gamble by Mercedes. It would also be bordering on arrogant if they are that confident that they can sandbag to 2nd place for the first part of the season to gain extra windtunnel time. If it is true and it works, then it's a masterstroke.

zibby43

b2bL44 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 04:27
seense wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 14:22
dans79 wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 19:12
The most annoying thing right now is that the team has literally done almost nothing to the car!
I get the feeling something big is coming. According to Allison we still will find out about the tokens spent and bottas saying there is more to come in an interview.
Source on the Bottas interview?
Only time I can remember Bottas saying something like that was jokingly to Kravitz during preseason testing.

b2bL44

zibby43 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 05:04
b2bL44 wrote:
seense wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 14:22

I get the feeling something big is coming. According to Allison we still will find out about the tokens spent and bottas saying there is more to come in an interview.
Only time I can remember Bottas saying something like that was jokingly to Kravitz during preseason testing.
We are so desperate to see upgrades from Merc that we've turned into the "c'mon do something" meme :lol:
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

zibby43

b2bL44 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 05:27
zibby43 wrote:
b2bL44 wrote:

We are so desperate to see upgrades from Merc that we've turned into the "c'mon do something" meme :lol:
:lol:

Austria would be perfect for a few reasons: 1) Past correlation, as Merc had one of their biggest upgrades of the season there in 2018. 2) Running the same venue 2 weeks in a row, so you have plenty of time to tune the updates and compare them across different tire selections but on the same circuit. 3) It’s feasible to get replacement parts in a timely manner, should they be needed.

Whether anything appears on the car is another matter.

Everyone refers to Toto saying no updates in interviews, but he’s mentioned tweaks post-Imola, and we haven’t seen anything (excluding under the skin parts).

When Toto says the focus is on ‘22, I take it that he means no updates are being worked on now or going forward. Anything that appears on the car will likely have been produced weeks/months ago. Unless anything they *did* have in the pipeline needed to be scrapped because of the inability to update a car they don’t understand fully.

b2bL44

zibby43 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 05:36
b2bL44 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Austria would be perfect for a few reasons: 1) Past correlation, as Merc had one of their biggest upgrades of the season there in 2018. 2) Running the same venue 2 weeks in a row, so you have plenty of time to tune the updates and compare them across different tire selections but on the same circuit. 3) It’s feasible to get replacement parts in a timely manner, should they be needed.

Everyone refers to Toto saying no updates in interviews, but he’s mentioned tweaks post-Imola, and we haven’t seen anything (excluding under the skin parts).

When Toto says the focus is on ‘22, I take it that he means no updates are being worked on now or going forward. Anything that appears on the car will likely have been produced weeks/months ago. Unless anything they *did* have in the pipeline needed to be scrapped because of the inability to update a car they don’t understand fully.
Which still begs the question: "Hello Mercedes Benz AMG Formula 1 team, what on God's green earth were you doing between June 2020 and March 2021?"

Sincerely,

Random internet sleuths

zibby43

b2bL44 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 05:46
zibby43 wrote:
b2bL44 wrote:

Which still begs the question: "Hello Mercedes Benz AMG Formula 1 team, what on God's green earth were you doing between June 2020 and March 2021?"

Sincerely,

Random internet sleuths
lol. When was it that the floor cuts and new tires were finalized? I think we may have discussed this before, but didn’t Allison say that they had to throw away all the development for the W12 *twice* after those changes were made?

Chuckjr

e30ernest wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 04:43
littlebigcat wrote:
SiLo wrote:
22 Jun 2021, 13:23
If this is true it could be a fairly big tactical play from them, but I somehow doubt it.
It's a completely made up conspiracy theory, but it does fill the hole in a narrative about why we haven't seen much from Mercedes beyond the bare minimum 2020 to 2021
If it is true, then it would be a HUGE gamble by Mercedes. It would also be bordering on arrogant if they are that confident that they can sandbag to 2nd place for the first part of the season to gain extra windtunnel time. If it is true and it works, then it's a masterstroke.
https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/gr ... t%20straws.
Watching F1 since 1986.

b2bL44

zibby43 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 07:12
b2bL44 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 05:46
zibby43 wrote:

Sincerely,

Random internet sleuths
lol. When was it that the floor cuts and new tires were finalized? I think we may have discussed this before, but didn’t Allison say that they had to throw away all the development for the W12 *twice* after those changes were made?
Yup, first was the floor trim and ban of the cuts to the floor. Then came the diffuser and rear brake duct changes. After which the teams had been assured the tyres would not be changing. Then FiA pulled their safety card and pushed through new tyres.

Regardless of the multiple changes along the way to the technical regulations, very early on in 2020 it was decided to delay the new regulations to 2022 and put a freeze in development for the new regulations till 2021. With that in mind, a team that is used to developing 2 cars in situ now only has to develop 1 car, the W12. Even though most things under the surface of the cars were frozen, all the aero surfaces were fair game. It therefore makes no sense that Mercedes have brought minimal upgrades to the car this season.

zibby43

b2bL44 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 07:55
Even though most things under the surface of the cars were frozen, all the aero surfaces were fair game.
And therein lies the problem. I don’t think aero surfaces were enough to offset the floor changes. I think they needed to redesign some significant architecture to raise the rear ride height and pump up the diffuser volume. Trying to compensate with aero surfaces is too draggy.

e30ernest

Chuckjr wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 07:46
e30ernest wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 04:43
littlebigcat wrote:

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/gr ... t%20straws.
Oh yeah I am in no delusion that this is indeed what is going on. I don't have high expectations with the team right now at the rate they are going. :lol:

SiLo

To be honest, they had the pace to win in France, but they cocked up the strategy, and they also could have won in Baku but Hamilton made an unforced error. We would all be speaking differently if he had taken 50 points from the last two races instead of 18.

It's all very fine margins right now.
Felipe Baby!

mkay

zibby43 wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 01:07
mkay wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 00:39
zibby43 wrote:
21 Jun 2021, 20:50

I believe AMuS. It was during the run-up to French GP week, and they said no updates for Merc in France.

Austria has been a location for several large Merc upgrades in the past. If we don’t see one here, I just don’t realistically see how Merc can win on the basis of car performance.
No offense but you keep predicting upgrades for Merc at every other GP (though I understand it comes from journos). Also, post-race, apparently Toto told Sky Italia that there won’t be any aero upgrades on the car given the focus on 2022.

I will refuse to believe any ‘upgrade’ speculation until we see the car post-scrutineering or at FP1.

Very disappointing to say the least coming from Merc. I do wonder how RB is able to churn so many upgrades - are they somewhat sacrificing work on 2022?

You can argue it may not given RB has seemingly wrapped up the WCC (barring a massive dip in performance or reliability) and potentially the WDC as well, and that they know Merc won’t be bringing anything to their car. So best case, Merc gets a 1 or 2-month development advantage for 2022.
They're not my predictions, as you pointed out.

I'm still trying to figure out if it's really that disappointing for Merc, as they've managed to have a race car quick enough to win during every single weekend (despite you predicting that they would not, ahead of virtually every weekend), excluding Monaco.

What does that say? That the car has untapped potential, if only Merc could arrive in FP1 with a good baseline, instead of having to make drastic changes all weekend, all the way up to 10 minutes before Q1?

And to say that RB has the WCC wrapped up after 7 races is kind of comical. Merc have been 20 points down in the WCC to Ferrari much later in the season. Merc have already had 1 double non-points finish (by virtue of what happened in Baku), plus Bottas' crash in Imola.
In its current form, Merc seems to have squeezed all it could from its current package, save for atypical races like Monaco and Baku.

I do think the WCC is out of reach unless RB hits a difficult patch or Merc introduces meaningful upgrades (unlikely). Perez has finally found his stride and RB seems faster or equally fast on all types of tracks and every kind of weather conditions.

Also Merc didn’t have a car fast enough to win Baku under normal conditions. So add that to your list. I never said Merc didn’t have the pace to win every race - you may be confusing me with someone else.

NL_Fer

Recent years Mercedes has been very strong at the start of the season, keeping momentum for 2/3 to take both championships. I doubt they have much in de bag for this mid-season.

Maybe Silverstone, Spa, Hungaroring, Suzuka and Cota?

WaikeCU

Any clarity on how many tokens they have used so far this season?

El Scorchio

WaikeCU wrote:
23 Jun 2021, 14:06
Any clarity on how many tokens they have used so far this season?
Absolutely none! (clarity, not the amount they've used)