Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
illario

Re: Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

I hope kids like it too :) I consider it as the only resource i have to see people when their ‘masks’ are down. I have seen Vettel hiding, walking past Binoto after Monza not saluting, talking to Horner about ‘coming home’. All the 3 times he returns his head to look at cameras! I have seen Gasly read news that he wont be on redbull than closes the phone and decides to win. I have seen ‘stupid’ Valteri bieng blown my Hamiltons -fifth element like voice. Its obvious that Vallteri believes that anger can help him. What a mistake. Albon unfortunately needs a year in Russian prison, he would come out as ‘man’. I understood that Kimi and Mick are valuable commodities. Noris is afraid from Riciardo. I saw Sainz missing the hole! Binoto steaming i assume he was watching himself on ipad. Talking about how Leclerc apart from being quick can also attack and defend, implying that someone else wasn’t. In the end i finished with a lot of new prejudices about drivers :) the most important: Vettel might have talked to fia more than he should have...just to name a few things

PlatinumZealot

I have finished episode two. The Bottas episode. It was better than episode one, you do get a deeper peek into Bottas, his marriage and his Finnish life. There is shocking scene but I leave that for you to find out.
He is still determined that he can beat Lewis. Toto appreciates that, but it seems Toto while very diplomatic about it, is a realist! Ha.

Good so far but nothing too exciting.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tim.Wright

illario wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 14:30
I hope kids like it too :) I consider it as the only resource i have to see people when their ‘masks’ are down. I have seen Vettel hiding, walking past Binoto after Monza not saluting, talking to Horner about ‘coming home’. All the 3 times he returns his head to look at cameras! I have seen Gasly read news that he wont be on redbull than closes the phone and decides to win. I have seen ‘stupid’ Valteri bieng blown my Hamiltons -fifth element like voice. Its obvious that Vallteri believes that anger can help him. What a mistake. Albon unfortunately needs a year in Russian prison, he would come out as ‘man’. I understood that Kimi and Mick are valuable commodities. Noris is afraid from Riciardo. I saw Sainz missing the hole! Binoto steaming i assume he was watching himself on ipad. Talking about how Leclerc apart from being quick can also attack and defend, implying that someone else wasn’t. In the end i finished with a lot of new prejudices about drivers :) the most important: Vettel might have talked to fia more than he should have...just to name a few things
The problem I have with this series is that likely 95% of what you have "understood" has been faked by Netflix using deliberately misleading cuts of audio and video to create sequences that never happened. Really trashy stuff. And it's categoriesed on Netflix as a "Documentary". It needs a disclaimer at the start stating some of the sequences seen never actually happened.
Not the engineer at Force India

NathanOlder

Tim.Wright wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:20
illario wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 14:30
The problem I have with this series is that likely 95% of what you have "understood" has been faked by Netflix using deliberately misleading cuts of audio and video to create sequences that never happened. Really trashy stuff. And it's categoriesed on Netflix as a "Documentary". It needs a disclaimer at the start stating some of the sequences seen never actually happened.
Yeah totally agree. I just watched episode 8, the Mclaren episode and it annoyed me how they try and make it look like there was bad blood between Carlos and Lando. Also when they show Sainz defending from Norris on the outside at turn 6 in Austria they play audio of Lando saying "He just turned in on me, whats he trying to do?" when that audio came from Norris passing Stroll I think it was , when Norris was up the inside at Turn 3 and Stroll did just turn in on him.
#-o #-o #-o #-o Netflix #-o #-o #-o #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

It doesnt matter what you guys think. The series was not made for you! It was made for Netflix target users! ( whoever they are!).

Just enjoy what you can of it.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tim.Wright

There's a difference between artistic license and flat out deception.

Keeping up with the Kardashians was also very popular - doesn't mean it's not trash.
Not the engineer at Force India

adrianjordan

Tim.Wright wrote:
26 Mar 2021, 22:31
There's a difference between artistic license and flat out deception.

Keeping up with the Kardashians was also very popular - doesn't mean it's not trash.
This!!

I've had it on in the background whilst doing other things, which is all it's good for to us die hard F1 fans.

I actually found myself feeling sorry for Seb during the Ferrari episode, he came across as a nice guy who found it funny to cause tension with the team he'd been booted out of.

The McLaren episode annoyed the hell out of me though.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

wesley123

214270 wrote:
20 Mar 2021, 19:30
The ziggo bit is also confusing. Ziggo is niche and localised, Netflix is massive in comparison. The reach is not even comparable
The Dutch are success fans. They barely care about the sport itself, the interest solely comes from Max himself.

I'm 99% certain that there were far more viewers viewing whatever Max Verstappen BS there is on Ziggo than Dutch people watching DTS
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Phil

Tim.Wright wrote:
23 Mar 2021, 15:20
I don't necessarily find this particularly bad. The "ethos" of what they are representing isn't far off the truth - maybe it's being bent a little here and there (the stuff you are calling out to be fake, which it is) but overall, it's conveying what happened fairly well.

What I particularly love about the series is that it massively humanizes the sport to a degree where even I as a *hardcore fan* am finding insides that were unknown to me. For example; As a Hamilton fan, I tend to focus more on the Mercedes/Hamilton news and perhaps the drivers he is in close contention with (Vettel, Verstappen, Leclerc, RedBull, Ferrari etc). But I've never really thought much about who is part of Haas, the faces and people behind the team etc. Thanks to this series, I have greatly appreciated the insight to many drivers I never cared about (Sainz for example).

Another plus, as others have mentioned, is that the series is very attractive to watch for people who don't spend most of their free time debating in F1 topics after races.

Possibly the best thing about the series IMO is that they are focusing within their narratives on the challenges that should count more. Yes, Hamilton and Mercedes has dominated F1 for pretty much the past 6 years, but people forget about the smaller battles that are just as valid and exciting - i.e. the battle between team-mates, the battle between Haas and their rivals, Renault and the pressure they face in securing position 4 in the championship and justify the money being poured into the team. Even if the winner of most races has been either a Mercedes, RedBull or Ferrari driver - there's still more than two thirds of a remaining grid of cars that are fighting for points and their existence in F1. Even as a Mercedes fan, I appreciate that the narratives are set around the smaller teams.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

jjn9128

Now this is how you make a proper F1 documentary :lol: :lol:

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

A very blonde, hot-girl take on F1; but it does shed light on the ‘audience’ of DTS. They get the basics right, but it’s soooo Americanised.

From 13:45
https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/ ... to-survive
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Morteza

jjn9128 wrote:
20 Apr 2021, 13:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS4pejg43Ug
Thank you for sharing this :) =D>
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

the EDGE

jjn9128 wrote:

Wow, blatant cheating was rampant… no wonder old school F1 team bosses say there’s no such thing as ‘the spirit of the rule’… If it passes scruteneering then it’s allowed 😂

jjn9128

the EDGE wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 22:23
jjn9128 wrote:

Wow, blatant cheating was rampant… no wonder old school F1 team bosses say there’s no such thing as ‘the spirit of the rule’… If it passes scruteneering then it’s allowed 😂
Scrutineering in that case being a disco laser propped up on a bit of wood :lol:
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

the EDGE

jjn9128 wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 22:52
the EDGE wrote:
26 Jun 2021, 22:23
jjn9128 wrote:

Scrutineering in that case being a disco laser propped up on a bit of wood :lol:
Yes I’m many ways F1 has moved forward over the past 40 years but it’s amazing just how relevant this documentary is to today’s F1

Change the names and the arguments such as rule changes to favour certain teams and the definition of flexing body parts could literally be from 2021