2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.

Re: 2021 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, July 02 - 04

ringo wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 01:58
Both penatiles were justified. I look at the driver's hands. The driver is unwinding the steering angle to push out the other driver; it's an intention to obstruct the other car. The focus should be on defending your line and going around the corner. When you unwind the steering lock with a car beside you, you are no longer doing your own race, you are destroying someone elses.
Norris was wrong and son was Perez twice.

Lewis knows how to push it to the limit without penalty. You need to reduce that gap way before the other car's axle is beside your car and ensure 1 smooth movement defining your racing line. You close the door by moving first, not in reaction to a car pulling up alongside.
You’re conflating squeezing (completely legal) with running your opponent off the road. Opening the steering doesn’t tell you which is which.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

notsofast
notsofast

214270 wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 17:19
notsofast wrote:
04 Jul 2021, 16:58
Perhaps it would help with consistency (and make it easier for the public to understand) if they were to draw a line across the track just before each corner. If the inside car is ahead at the line, then the inside car is entitled to the racing line. Otherwise it is not and must leave space.
Thinking about this a bit more, you’d actually only really need this at turn 4 on this track. All other overtakes are less contentious.
You're right. Probably needed only for turns at the end of the DRS zone.

ringo

214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 02:03
ringo wrote:
Both penatiles were justified. I look at the driver's hands. The driver is unwinding the steering angle to push out the other driver; it's an intention to obstruct the other car. The focus should be on defending your line and going around the corner. When you unwind the steering lock with a car beside you, you are no longer doing your own race, you are destroying someone elses.

Lewis knows how to push it to the limit without penalty. You need to reduce that gap way before the other car's axle is beside your car and ensure 1 smooth movement defining your racing line. You close the door by moving first, not in reaction to a car pulling up alongside.
You’re conflating squeezing (completely legal) with running your opponent off the road. Opening the steering doesn’t tell you which is which.
As i said it depends on if someone is beside you and if you are departing from your line. Case in point Nico Rosberg in Austria with Lewis following. Opening your steering when you are already on your line and exiting the corner with a car alongside is pushing off the road.
You on your own, opening the steering to reduce rolling resistance to keep up corner speeds that's a different thing. This wasn't the case with any of the penalties today. All today were about pushing the other car to less than a car's width.
For Sure!!

langedweil

ringo wrote:

Lewis knows how to push it to the limit without penalty.
Yep, ask Albon :o)
But in all fairness, he usually does ..
Only under pressure for position he's just like the rest of the pack in making mistakes, albeit making less than the average guy.
HuggaWugga !

Edax
Edax

Sieper wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 01:15
Now I am going to sound as if I am the big advocate of Lando’s penalty (I am not, but if I were a steward I likely would have given if, after some doubt and debate) but isn’t what you ate saying exactly why it Then is a penalty Edax? Look at who was in front before the braking for the corner begun. Lando made the choice to brake himself back (his ability to do so is a why he was so quick here, Ricciardo can not get there (yet?)) that is where he did not anticipate, or expected it to somehow work better and that is why we indeed ended up with to little road for both to occupy.
I looked back at the footage and he indeed he is already there at the 100 meter mark.

So you’re absolutely right. I thought he came later, but I stand corrected, lando had enough of warning that Perez was going to stick it out there.

ringo

You seem to be on a mission to render the guy as just average. lol
How many hundreds of races has He participated in and how many cars has he defended against cleanly?
Cleanest driver in the industry undisputedly.
For Sure!!

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

So with the penalty decision explained, if you go around the outside, just hang it out as a late braker. Then you force the guy on the inside a compromised line in and out. Seems a bit iffy to me

AnthonyG

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 08:30
So with the penalty decision explained, if you go around the outside, just hang it out as a late braker. Then you force the guy on the inside a compromised line in and out. Seems a bit iffy to me
I'm not a fan of it either, but those are the current rules. You must leave the space, compared to before where the lead car could pick the line it wanted to.
Thank you really doesn't really describe enough what I feel. - Vettel

GOAT

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Then you force the guy on the inside a compromised line in and out.
Well, that is considered racing- isn’t it?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

GOAT wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 08:53
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
Then you force the guy on the inside a compromised line in and out.
Well, that is considered racing- isn’t it?
It is!

But if you heard the drivers/team principles/ex f1 racing drivers , they are clearly all seeing it differently to the Stewards. So is this now a change of policy to police this? (The policy now to penalise it)
I’ve seen plenty of squeezing in previous months and years. And the “overtaker” virtually always came off worse.
If someone left their car around the outside they quickly drove into a disappearing gap. The vast majority back out of it.

We won’t see and/or hear the end of this as there is also the difference of having a run off area or not etc
Last edited by 101FlyingDutchman on 05 Jul 2021, 09:25, edited 2 times in total.

Phil

ringo wrote:

It's a good point. But IMO, the overtaking driver still taking on a risk by attempting a move on the outside, e.g. a closing spot. Fair play if it works out, but mostly it just doesn't. Perez learned this the hard way, and so did Leclerc multiple times when Perez was on the inside.

Norris, as well as Perez later, were committed to the corners and the trajectory they took. Changing that mid corner when an another car sticks it on the outside is difficult to change. Braking, lifting alter the balance of the car when done mid corner.

I would have preferred no penalty in all instances. None for Norris, none for Perez.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

aMessageToCharlie
aMessageToCharlie

ringo wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 07:35
You seem to be on a mission to render the guy as just average. lol
How many hundreds of races has He participated in and how many cars has he defended against cleanly?
Cleanest driver in the industry undisputedly.
Ah, come on! :lol: You really have to keep throwing bait like that, dont you? And then call people haters if they disagree.

Ask Albon, Rosberg and Massa how impeccible HAM's wheel to wheel fighting skills are! :wink:

jz11
jz11

drivers will always say everything in their defense, and they will always make it seem that it is impossible for them to leave the space on the outside for the other guy - because that is in their interest, and you won't hear much critique form the ex drivers about this even if it makes the overtaking easier and possible more often, it would be akin to "another drs"

Norris is a top notch driver and he is doing this to achieve what Max is already know for - you cannot pass Max on the outside, Norris is establishing the same notion, and it is also understandable, because if it becomes known that you'll leave the space there (in absence of strict rule requiring you to do so) - everyone else will try and exploit it, in other words - it is a definite weakness if you want to get to the very top

there were plenty of examples where top level, experienced drivers will be able to leave that car widths room in similar circumstances, it takes experience and confidence to do that, and realization that this is not worth crashing if the other guy doesn't yield - meaning, defending driver is something that isn't competitive championship wise or he at the very top and has to avoid possible DNFs

i70q7m7ghw
i70q7m7ghw

ringo wrote:
The driver is unwinding the steering angle to push out the other driver; it's an intention to obstruct the other car.
I disagree, the car is on the limit, the driver can't just simply move over to give the other driver more room, this isn't like passing on the motorway. They are "opening" the steering because that's the direction the car is going, tightening the steering will just result in understeer or oversteer. The only option is to lift off the throttle or use the brakes, which will reduce the load on the tyre and allow the car to turn tighter.

In my view Norris did nothing wrong, he had the racing line. Perez was accelerating around the outside, he saw a closing door and he kept driving in to it.

Interesting question, if there was a tarmac run off area there, would the FIA have handed out a penalty?

TimW
TimW

Diesel wrote:
05 Jul 2021, 10:28
ringo wrote:
The driver is unwinding the steering angle to push out the other driver; it's an intention to obstruct the other car.
I disagree, the car is on the limit, the driver can't just simply move over to give the other driver more room, this isn't like passing on the motorway. They are "opening" the steering because that's the direction the car is going, tightening the steering will just result in understeer or oversteer. The only option is to lift off the throttle or use the brakes, which will reduce the load on the tyre and allow the car to turn tighter.
They need to open up because they are accelerating. So as you said, they can lift a bit.
Not saying he should or should not, just that he could.