2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dtro

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

dans79 wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 15:43
Sieper wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 15:38
It will make the races more unpredictable as for sure some people will start “out of position”. Especially with a few crashes. This is exactly how America runs indycar racing as well, it is so unpredictable that (SC) luck plays a large role. I think it will be here to stay.

And as far as I'm concerned it's stupid and one of the things thats will make me stop watching F1.
At least it's not as farcical as the qualifying format that was trialed a couple years back for a couple of races and promptly abandoned and brushed under the carpet.

The added pressure on teams and drivers could lead to mistakes and while it may seem contrived, the contrivance is minimal. Practice is still practice on Friday but there will be a greater emphasis on the sim drivers at the factory and all of the teams will have less time to find the ideal set up making the whole shebang less predictable. The qualifying format for the sprint race isn't all jacked up (though I do have a question about the q2 tire rule) and how that applies, not that tire choice will differ so much over 17 laps. Finally the sprint race isn't a double points disaster like Abu Dhabi was. There's incentive for drivers to make up positions so that drivers like Russell/Gio/Alonso/Kimi(not lately) have a chance to move up the grid and start the race a few positions higher perhaps.

Realistically I'm just saying this isn't as ridiculous an idea as double points, or that qualifying farce we had in like what 2017?

Going into the weekend with an open mind.

Sieper

It does seem to make Q2 a mandatory number for the top teams, like Q3 already was for them. Before it was always the question if they could make it through on the harder compound. That option is now of the table so it does seem to take away from the qualy sessions (that I currently enjoy very much).

dans79

Here is an example of why I think it's so stupid.

https://us.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-sp ... w/6628140/
Rules around tyres are also changing. In Friday’s first practice each driver can only use two sets of tyres, while the Friday qualifying session will provide drivers with five soft tyres sets. After that teams will use these options for tyres for the remainder of the weekend:
  • One set of tyres for Saturday’s practice session - teams decide which compound
  • One set for the sprint race - teams decide which compound
  • Two remaining sets of tyres for the grand prix, with teams able to choose which compound to start on
197 104 103 7

Schippke

Whilst I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt until I see it all in action... the Friday Practice to Parc Ferme then qualifying on Friday afternoon is, in my humble opinion, ****ing stupid. I know they're trying to generate some excitement on a Friday, but seriously, most people are working on a Friday with regards to the UK/European audiences so they're going to miss out qualifying... compared to having it on a Saturday.

They should've done it like the usual, but change Saturday; Friday Free Practice 1 & 2. Qualifying (Cars go into Parc Ferme once they leave the pitlane, as usual), Sprint Qualifying/Race in the afternoon, then Grand Prix Sunday... but I digress; Wrong topic to discuss, though would be keen to see if anybody else feels the same way.

As for this weekend, I think It'll me Max's to loose, regardless of all the difference of weekend layout. Mercedes might be bringing an upgrade, but see as they'll only have 1 practice session before locking the cars into the rest of the weekend, they might not as much out of it as expected. Plus, the new structure of tyres could make things interesting but I doubt it'll change much... however, I did read somewhere that the new structure means they can lower the pressures a bit compared to the tyres before, so the teams might all collectively find a benefit to that...?

Just_a_fan

Still a bit early to predict the weather with decent certainty, but the forecast is currently looking dry and sunny for the whole weekend.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2637827
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Sevach

Sieper wrote:
12 Jul 2021, 15:38
It will make the races more unpredictable as for sure some people will start “out of position”. Especially with a few crashes. This is exactly how America runs indycar racing as well, it is so unpredictable that (SC) luck plays a large role. I think it will be here to stay.
It might have the opposite effect, last race for example Hamilton qualified behind Lando, with this sprint race he will have 100km to get past him and slot into his natural position for the actual race.

Sieper

True, that could be the outcome also. In such cases Lando might try even more to keep people behind though. Another opportunity for penalty points.

I am not sure what to think of it. For now I don’t really like it.

Sevach

I don't know why Lando would try extra hard in this scenario, there will be a lot less points rewarded for the succesful defense, and the punishment should anything go wrong will be harsh, a damaged FW with 2 laps to go, a penalty for contact...
All of that for something he might win/lose off the line anyway...

The risk vs reward for the "Sprint Qualifying" is way off (from a point scoring perspective).
Hamilton's take, "it will be a procession", means that he already done the math and figured that out.

It's possible we get mayhem here, just because people aren't used to it, but long term it will help the better teams slot into their natural position.

Verstappen has dreadful start and drops to seventh (Hamilton leads), usually that means he will have a fight back for a podium but ultimately his botched start means he won't win anymore, now he finishes "Sprint" 2nd or 3rd i think.
What happened to Hamilton in 2018, spun by Kimi lap 1, these 100 km would enough for him to get back into a fighting position for the race.

The one thing that is gonna be punishing is losing a FW, a puncture...

El Scorchio

My feeling is that no-one with anything on the line will be making any risky moves which might jeopardise the big points for tomorrow. The risk hugely outweighs the reward. I think it'll be largely a dull procession with not even pit stops to mix things up unless someone qualifies wildly out of position on Friday at one end of the grid or the other. It's not even going to rain so the only factor which might have made this interesting goes out the window.

All I see outcome wise is a load of complaining about it on here if one of the big players has a mechanical or an accident on Saturday which ruins the race for Sunday. (and a whole lot of 'well that was pointless' if nothing happens.)

Big Tea

Do all cars have to enter, and complete, the sprint race?
Anyone outside the top 10 may feel it beneficial not to actually compete as they will not get anything out of it, and the time could be put to better use as could the tyres.

If a car starts the sprint and does not finish, are they allowed to adjust anything on the car or is it all fixed parc fermi style? An extra setup session could be useful
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

Big Tea wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 13:20
Do all cars have to enter, and complete, the sprint race?
Anyone outside the top 10 may feel it beneficial not to actually compete as they will not get anything out of it, and the time could be put to better use as could the tyres.

If a car starts the sprint and does not finish, are they allowed to adjust anything on the car or is it all fixed parc fermi style? An extra setup session could be useful
Good point. What's to stop (for example) the Haas or Williams teams just retiring their cars after lap 1 and working on them in the garage instead? (depending on what they are allowed to tweak under the rules) Conserve engine and parts.

I can't see anyone much higher up the grid benefitting from doing that, as any driver out of position near the back will use the sprint to try and make up a few places. But it's an interesting point.

SmallSoldier

Schippke wrote:Whilst I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt until I see it all in action... the Friday Practice to Parc Ferme then qualifying on Friday afternoon is, in my humble opinion, ****ing stupid. I know they're trying to generate some excitement on a Friday, but seriously, most people are working on a Friday with regards to the UK/European audiences so they're going to miss out qualifying... compared to having it on a Saturday.

They should've done it like the usual, but change Saturday; Friday Free Practice 1 & 2. Qualifying (Cars go into Parc Ferme once they leave the pitlane, as usual), Sprint Qualifying/Race in the afternoon, then Grand Prix Sunday... but I digress; Wrong topic to discuss, though would be keen to see if anybody else feels the same way.

As for this weekend, I think It'll me Max's to loose, regardless of all the difference of weekend layout. Mercedes might be bringing an upgrade, but see as they'll only have 1 practice session before locking the cars into the rest of the weekend, they might not as much out of it as expected. Plus, the new structure of tyres could make things interesting but I doubt it'll change much... however, I did read somewhere that the new structure means they can lower the pressures a bit compared to the tyres before, so the teams might all collectively find a benefit to that...?
The only problem with having it all on Saturday is that the whole America’s region would miss Qualifying… It is already hard to make it to the 6-7am Qualy… But, having it at 2-3am? That would be rough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SmallSoldier

Big Tea wrote:Do all cars have to enter, and complete, the sprint race?

I don’t think anyone will miss the Sprint Race on purpose… That would be a huge problem with the sponsors, who probably are looking forward to more exposure on track (not even considering the backlash of not participating)

sosic2121

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Jul 2021, 13:56
Schippke wrote:Whilst I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt until I see it all in action... the Friday Practice to Parc Ferme then qualifying on Friday afternoon is, in my humble opinion, ****ing stupid. I know they're trying to generate some excitement on a Friday, but seriously, most people are working on a Friday with regards to the UK/European audiences so they're going to miss out qualifying... compared to having it on a Saturday.

The only problem with having it all on Saturday is that the whole America’s region would miss Qualifying… It is already hard to make it to the 6-7am Qualy… But, having it at 2-3am? That would be rough

So, no problem there :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

(just a joke)