2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Blackout

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

Comparison
*the green Memento render is very close to the grey 3d render released today, it only misses the front brake ducts actually
Last edited by Blackout on 15 Jul 2021, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

JordanMugen

Blackout wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 16:21
The 3d render is different and more "up-to-date".
Ooh! Cooling vents on the top, that's new.

jjn9128 wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 23:42
Yeah the cooling louvers are back. See the grey box on the top of the orange sidepod volume - that's the "aperture" volume. Basically they can have an opening there provided it's smaller a particular planform area and hides a 2-d surface in plan view.
https://f1tcdn.net/images/features/2021 ... 3-2022.png
=D> =D> =D>

jjn9128 wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 15:04
JordanMugen wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 14:58
in reality will the main element of the real front wings immediately curve down rather aggressively much like the Tyrrell 019 -- provided that is permitted?
The front wing box forces an anhedral from the nose to the tip. I’ve posted enough pictures of the regulation boxes. Plus I’m not on my computer. The Tyrrell 018/Jordan 191 concept wouldn’t be possible.
=D> =D> =D>

Sorry. :oops:
Last edited by JordanMugen on 15 Jul 2021, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

wogx

Blackout wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 16:51
Both versions of the FW are legal?
Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Blackout

If I understood jjn9128,then yes
viewtopic.php?p=980043#p980043

JordanMugen

Morteza wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 00:35
I hate everything about the design; the nose, front wing, sidepods, the tunnels under the sidepods, rear wing, those wings/fins inside/around the front wheels area :lol: The sidepods are so IndyCar, and I detest them. F1 has always been about the cars for me, this is so generic there's no way I'm gonna like how it looks.
You don't like Ground Effects? A Ground Effects car is always going to look something like this, no? The shape of the tunnel dictates the shape of the car, with long elongated sidepods, doesn't it?

Fans have demanded close racing, so every measure that can help close racing like wheel covers and wheel fins has rightly been put on the car.

I feel like F1 have done a very good job of making a modernised Swift Formula Nippon:

Of course the Swift looks more elegant because it's smaller, has no upper intake, a more symmetrical late 90's mid-height nose shape, no halo etc, but the modern Grand Prix car is what it is. One of the measures for 2022 is a larger cockpit which can only be a good thing for tall drivers. Previously Grand Prix racing careers have been ironically out of reach for 6' 6" drivers, with the likes of 6' 0" Albon and Hulkenberg already causing designers to curse...
Last edited by JordanMugen on 15 Jul 2021, 17:37, edited 1 time in total.

Marty_Y

Will the new cars still use a DRS next year?

Sorry for the uninformed question but I haven't had a chance to read about the regs for next year in detail.

bosyber

Marty_Y wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 17:36

Sorry for the uninformed question but I haven't had a chance to read about the regs for next year in detail.
All that I heard until now says so, though I don't see how it's integrated in either the physical model or the renders.

By the way from those renders on twitter that F1 posted, the first shot of the nose really strongly reminds me of how the 2009 McLaren nose looked, which given that car's start in that season, I cannot say gives me warm feelings! (Yeah, I know, different when everyone is having to go for it, from a performance point, but eh, well.)

Marty_Y

bosyber wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 17:48
Marty_Y wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 17:36

All that I heard until now says so, though I don't see how it's integrated in either the physical model or the renders.

By the way from those renders on twitter that F1 posted, the first shot of the nose really strongly reminds me of how the 2009 McLaren nose looked, which given that car's start in that season, I cannot say gives me warm feelings! (Yeah, I know, different when everyone is having to go for it, from a performance point, but eh, well.)
Thanks.

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 17:23
Morteza wrote:
24 Jun 2021, 00:35
I hate everything about the design; the nose, front wing, sidepods, the tunnels under the sidepods, rear wing, those wings/fins inside/around the front wheels area :lol: The sidepods are so IndyCar, and I detest them. F1 has always been about the cars for me, this is so generic there's no way I'm gonna like how it looks.
You don't like Ground Effects? A Ground Effects car is always going to look something like this, no? The shape of the tunnel dictates the shape of the car, with long elongated sidepods, doesn't it?
The current cars are ground effect cars, so no it doesn't have to look like that. As for tunnels, well F1 has had them before and they didn't look like this either, so again "no" in answer to your question. :wink: 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Agerasia

Is the rear wing fixed on the 2022 car? What about the front wing?
"badically pressuring rosnerg " Ringo 05/10/2014

BlueCheetah66

Agerasia wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 17:57
Is the rear wing fixed on the 2022 car? What about the front wing?
The front wing is fixed. As for the rear wing, there is meant to be DRS but there doesn't seem to be signs in the model or the renders that DRS is there.

jjn9128

JordanMugen wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 17:23

Fans have demanded close racing, so every measure that can help close racing like wheel covers and wheel fins has rightly been put on the car.

I feel like F1 have done a very good job of making a modernised Swift Formula Nippon:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... t_017n.jpg

Of course the Swift looks more elegant because it's smaller, has no upper intake, a more symmetrical late 90's mid-height nose shape, no halo etc, but the modern Grand Prix car is what it is. One of the measures for 2022 is a larger cockpit which can only be a good thing for tall drivers. Previously Grand Prix racing careers have been ironically out of reach for 6' 6" drivers, with the likes of 6' 0" Albon and Hulkenberg already causing designers to curse...
F1 cars already are ground effect. Ground effect is the increase in downforce from proximity to the ground - flat bottom and diffuser uses ground effect as much as a "wing" or "tunnel" floor!!! Just different locations of the pressure distribution.

As for F1 car length I think it's been discussed enough that most of the added length in the last 20 years is in the gearbox case, not the cockpit/safety cell. The 2022 cockpit is 30mm longer than the 2021, but also the rim is 20mm higher so the seat position is a tiny bit more upright.

For reference the Swift underbody compared to the F1.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

proteus

Everybody said that cars are too long and not nimble enough. This looks even clumsier. Not a fan right now. Will have to wait to see with a proper livery and design tweaks.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

Fulcrum

Its a bit less 'confrontational' than the dildo-nosed cars of 2014, but I can't say I'm a fan of this aesthetic.

pipm1

The front wing looks huge. It'd look better if the frontmost element was removed & its max width was the same as the main floor area.