2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
jjn9128

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

Morteza wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 13:43
Some renders the teams have posted
Same model, different liveries. Wonder if it’ll make it into the 2021 f1 game as dlc 😂
Last edited by jjn9128 on 16 Jul 2021, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Morteza

:lol: :lol: :lol: I have a feeling they will put them in that game
The teams are posting these all the same time! They must have been asked to do so...
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

flattyre

A few people have been questioning how the DRS is going to work on this rear wing. But what's on my mind is how will they adjust the wings for the car setup? If a driver requests a bit more front wing, surely they won't have to replace the entire thing? There must be a mechanism to adjust it, but I can't see one.

(At this rate they'll be using the same wing all season :P)

bosyber

Morteza wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 13:49
:lol: :lol: :lol: I have a feeling they will put them in that game
The teams are posting these all the same time! They must have been asked to do so...
Yeah, probably

Huh, I hope Red Bull would go for either a different nose,(unlike them to really go for a default solution right?!), or seriously reduce the amount of yellow on the front of the nose, bc. that looks not appealing at all! And while black makes everything looks pretty decent that's probably by hiding some of the things one might wonder about, esp. with he dark background Merc. went for, that choice makes me wonder whether the graphics team at Merc. isn't quite convinced about how this car looks!

Anyway, I was interested in reading that the-race article where teams seem to say their cars will look notably different, but also saw that racefans.net has an article with Alonso and Fry (also at Alpine) suggesting it will be only minor things. I guess we'll see early next season just how big or small (I tend to expect the latter, hope for some of the former). Indeed an exciting time, those first glimpses before we see how the field shows up (or possibly disappoints?)

Blackout

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:43
I'm interested to see whether teams' DNA shows through in the new cars. Red Bull, for example, have for a long time had a different approach to the sidepods, particularly the rear slope and how the pod meets the floor. Will they do something similar with the new cars? Will it be beneficial to do so?
IMO the return of the good old beam wing will encourage the teams even more to clear the way towards the rear as much as possible... but I might be wrong.
Last edited by Blackout on 16 Jul 2021, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

djos

flattyre wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 14:00
A few people have been questioning how the DRS is going to work on this rear wing. But what's on my mind is how will they adjust the wings for the car setup? If a driver requests a bit more front wing, surely they won't have to replace the entire thing? There must be a mechanism to adjust it, but I can't see one.

That is just a show car, the teams will implement DRS and their rear rings however they want to within the regulations, just as they do now.
"In downforce we trust"

JordanMugen

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 17:56
As for tunnels, well F1 has had them before and they didn't look like this either
They weren't three-dimensional tunnels back then. ;)

A tunnel car was always going to look a bit like a Swift or Lola, I think that's a good thing.

RZS10

Morteza wrote:
Quote from a tweet by Alpine: "We think @F1 had a LOT of fun putting these together."
It would appear that F1 had those images made by someone, sent them to the teams who had to put them on their social media channels.

Just_a_fan

Blackout wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 14:13
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:43
I'm interested to see whether teams' DNA shows through in the new cars. Red Bull, for example, have for a long time had a different approach to the sidepods, particularly the rear slope and how the pod meets the floor. Will they do something similar with the new cars? Will it be beneficial to do so?
IMO the return of the good old beam wing will encourage the teams even more to clear the way towards the rear as much as possible... but I might be wrong.
The beam wing, along with the roof of the diffusers is much higher than the current cars. So the need to clear out all of the bodywork to improve airflow will be changed, perhaps. The rear suspension will be in line with the beam wing, however. Perhaps moves will be made to lower the rear suspension as much as possible to improve airflow to the beam wing. Or even try to get it higher than today. The beam wing is going to be very powerful in helping the diffuser portion of the tunnels evacuate air etc.

The diffuser / tunnel also starts much further forward so will affect airflow in that area too.

I bet a lot of work is going on fine tuning the relationship between the sidepod, the rear suspension and the beam wing. That and getting the leading edge VG strakes tuned correctly too, of course.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

politburo

Blackout wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 10:24
These new f1 cars still look like f1 cars to me, not indy cars, they are like restyled 2021 cars. They retained the coke bottle shape and the rollhoop intake, while Indycars are more delta-shaped because of their big rear wheel pods and have a hollow roll structure...
The new big tunnels have been integrated to these f1 cars in a very smooth and discrete way. They barely changed the general look of the cars. Even the big 'central downforce generator' (the multiple vanes below the raised tunnels entry) look like classic bargeaboards from afar.
The only thing that resembles indy is the fast drooping nose IMO.
youtube.com/watch?v=b3-70MHEARM
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/b3-70MHEARM/maxresdefault.jpg

And many parts are rounded and curved in this FOM concept in a way that is reminiscent of the modern Dallara Indycar design, but that's it... and some of these design features wont be followed by the teams IMO, like the fantasy sidpod inlets (blue) and the simplistic and horizontal sidepod cover (pink), which should reinforce teh 'f1 look' and dimnish the indy look.
Not to mention the few other nosecone design possibilities.
https://i.imgur.com/dXSNGrZ.jpg
Its kinda growing on me now they actually look good here. But ofcourse as long as aero is good I wouldn't mind.

"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

wogx

flattyre wrote:

Kukułka zwyczajna, kukułka pospolita – nazwy ludowe: gżegżółka, zazula (Cuculus canorus) – gatunek średniego ptaka wędrownego z podrodziny kukułek (Cuculinae) w rodzinie kukułkowatych (Cuculidae). Jedyny w Europie Środkowej pasożyt lęgowy. Zamieszkuje strefę umiarkowaną.

Morteza

RZS10 wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 14:20
Morteza wrote:
Quote from a tweet by Alpine: "We think @F1 had a LOT of fun putting these together."
It would appear that F1 had those images made by someone, sent them to the teams who had to put them on their social media channels.
Every team has done this except for Ferrari :D
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Holm86

Car looks super close to the ground, wonder if we will se someone run a high rake, or if it's not a good idea for this regulation.

If they need to run the cars this low to make the floor work properly, we will see them run much stiffer suspension again.

flattyre

wogx wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 14:34
flattyre wrote:

https://www.wykop.pl/cdn/c3201142/comme ... vUhwzJ.jpg
Never noticed that, thanks. I assumed it was a reflection.

Just_a_fan

JordanMugen wrote:
16 Jul 2021, 14:17
Just_a_fan wrote:
15 Jul 2021, 17:56
As for tunnels, well F1 has had them before and they didn't look like this either
They weren't three-dimensional tunnels back then. ;)

A tunnel car was always going to look a bit like a Swift or Lola, I think that's a good thing.
They had length, width and height so they were very definitely three-dimensional. :wink:

They didn't have the big VGs at the mouth which increase the appearance of being sinuous in plan. I guess they'd have had the big VGs after a while if they'd been allowed to continue for a few years after skirts were banned. Back then, aero knowledge was fairly limited in F1 teams. With skirts, you didn't need clever shaping and other devices. The tunnels just sucked (or rather the atmosphere pushed if we're being accurate). The loss of skirts led to the teams trying clever things like double chassis, drooping suspension, etc., to try to mimic skirts and get the performance back that way. Eventually someone would have figured out that playing with the mouth of the tunnel can be powerful. But flat floors were introduced and that was the end of it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.