2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill_Kar
Bill_Kar

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

I really don't get some people.

IMO it was slightly Hamilton's fault but it certainly ranges from racing incident to slum dank Hamilton’s penalty.

OK so what? Hamilton got a harsh penalty (someone could argue, 10 seconds for a first lap incident rather than the usual 5) and he only won just about. Deal with it, come on.

He didn't get away, so what do you people can possibly expect? DSQ? Or a different treatment because of championship ramifications? It would plainly be wrong to make these distinctions.

I'm happy that Verstappen is OK, that's the most important part of all.

Unf

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/E6l6zn6XEAE ... name=small

Car 44 did not avoid contact.

That's it. Simple as that.

I think this is another race which shows that penalty system is rubbish.
If you get penalty and still win a race - where is the punishment?

ringo

djones wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:19
ispano6 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:17
Marty_Y wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 18:13

How did he cheat?

If you can't say anything intelligent please don't say anything at all.
Are you blind? He sent Max to the hospital.

Another opinion is Max sent himself to hospital.

He thinks he can get away with being 100% aggressive all the time and today was a lesson in why you have to sometimes just let things go and live to fight another day.
Agreed. He will truly understand that this is not video games.
You have to truly respect the other driver even if he is overtaking.
Lewis has always left margin for Max this season. Some even complaining that he has gotten soft. But Lewis knows Max is super aggressive. I wont argue the incident like the others, but from the start, we could see Max was driving very desperately and all over the place. He lost his cool when Lewis got the better start, and it was only a matter of time they would come together. Even on the straight he was defending more than once.
I do not think this will be the last time both meet on the track. But Lewis has the psychological edge. He has been here before.
Max now knows fear, and having a lot to lose. It will take a lot from him to wrap his head around playing the long game. Hamilton can win this championship solely on mental stability and mind games and it's ufolding. I had predicted this kind of race at the start of this thread and it doesnt help that Max's team principal is not helping his driver rationalize these things. Horner just spoils Max. So Max will have figure out these things on his own. For this alone i see him losing the championship if the mercedes is within 2 tenths.
For Sure!!

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

F1NAC wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:49
Just cannot believe the amount of rage against Lewis and the amount of insults. Disgusting. The only reason I want Red Bull to lose. They are so sore losers. And Max fanbase is ridiculous.

Anyway, regarding race.

So gutted for Charles. Drove like a champ. I hope Ferrari can deliver next year. Too bad for Sainz botched stop. Could have finished ahead od Norris maybe.

Regarding penalty. The more they penalise this year those pushings off the circuit, the more if feels that not giving Max a penalty in Austria 2019. Was a huge fraud.
Charles was always great in Silverstone. But on hards he not have the pace to cover LH44. Next track will suit Ferrari even better with great traction and great speed on slow, medium corners

F1NAC

Carl Mccoy wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:53
F1NAC wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:49
Just cannot believe the amount of rage against Lewis and the amount of insults. Disgusting. The only reason I want Red Bull to lose. They are so sore losers. And Max fanbase is ridiculous.

Anyway, regarding race.

So gutted for Charles. Drove like a champ. I hope Ferrari can deliver next year. Too bad for Sainz botched stop. Could have finished ahead od Norris maybe.

Regarding penalty. The more they penalise this year those pushings off the circuit, the more if feels that not giving Max a penalty in Austria 2019. Was a huge fraud.
Charles was always great in Silverstone. But on hards he not have the pace to cover LH44. Next track will suit Ferrari even better with great traction and great speed on slow, medium corners
It is encouraging to see that they have worked and solved the problems from France in such a short time.

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Unf wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:51

Yep the stewards judgement lines up exactly with what I’ve just written. So if that’s the conclusion of the stewards, does the punishment fit the “crime”?
If it was purely a racing incident then no penalty would have been given, but they clearly say it wasn’t just a racing incident.

Personally a 10 sec stop and go penalty (not just an extra 10sec of race time) would have been the right call here.

But it is what it is. Fingers crossed Max is okay and we can enjoy more on track battles

ringo

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:43

Look at the front view and how VER gave space. He was being fair. I guess his “mistake” was that he expected Lewis to keep a tighter line nearer the apex, which didn’t materialise. Lewis left his car out there so as VER turned in to make the corner side by side, the touch was inevitable.

In fact when you see the onboard from Lewis there was a lot of space still on the right. They could have gone through side by side. No question but he washes out. They’re the same speed yet somehow VER can turn in a lot tighter than HAM? I don’t buy it. He was deliberate in his positioning.

Nasty crash
You are forgetting that Max pinned Lewis to the wall a few hundred meters before. If Max didnt squeeze lewis in the wall both could have been more to the left and would have been able to make the corner. Se max set hismself up without realizing. He will learn to control his aggression in the future. All is not lost he still has 8 points advantage
For Sure!!

grubschumi13
grubschumi13

A statement from the FIA read: “The Stewards reviewed video and telemetry evidence. Cars 33 [Verstappen] and 44 [Hamilton] entered turn 9 with Car 33 in the lead and Car 44 slightly behind and on the inside.

“Car 44 was on a line that did not reach the apex of the corner, with room available to the inside. When Car 33 turned into the corner, Car 44 did not avoid contact and the left front of Car 44 contacted the right rear of Car 33. Car 44 is judged predominantly at fault.”

Let's start with this. The Stewards judged Hamilton to be at predominantly fault, but with the added context is he took out his closest rival for the WDC and the race win. The penalty was kind in that it left in the hands of Mercedes the decision of when to take the penalty thus the ability to mitigate it and factor it into their strategy.

A stop go would obligate them to stop in 3 laps and not work on the car.

Unf

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

ringo wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:56
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:43

Look at the front view and how VER gave space. He was being fair. I guess his “mistake” was that he expected Lewis to keep a tighter line nearer the apex, which didn’t materialise. Lewis left his car out there so as VER turned in to make the corner side by side, the touch was inevitable.

In fact when you see the onboard from Lewis there was a lot of space still on the right. They could have gone through side by side. No question but he washes out. They’re the same speed yet somehow VER can turn in a lot tighter than HAM? I don’t buy it. He was deliberate in his positioning.

Nasty crash
You are forgetting that Max pinned Lewis to the wall a few hundred meters before. If Max didnt squeeze lewis in the wall both could have been more to the left and would have been able to make the corner. Se max set hismself up without realizing. He will learn to control his aggression in the future. All is not lost he still has 8 points advantage
Except that didn’t happen. Lewis chose to go for the gap on the inside. You can see the decision easiest from his cockpit view. He deliberately went for that tight gap. Max didn’t squeeze him anymore.

politburo
politburo

The weekend was looking bad for Tsunoda, and Alpha Tauri in general but he really scored a valuable point for that team in their fight with Aston Martin and Alpine.
"Nosotros diferimos, pero nosotros todos son iguales"

El Scorchio

One thing to note is the much maligned tarmac runoff zones we grumble about so often. They would have done a substantial job today at slowing that car down and maybe even keeping it out of the wall altogether. While they may help the drivers circumnavigate track limits easily, they are great for safety and slowing them down. The gravel just gets skidded over.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Unf wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:51

Car 33 defended position by going outside the track limits at first corner. Car 33 pushed the other car to the wall. Car 33 was weaving on the road like my grandpa. Car 33 turned into Car 44.

And car 33 has the *habit* of doing these type of dirty driving weekend after weekend after..

If similar penalties were given to Car 33, car 33 would have 90% fewer points.

Car 44 *wins*. !

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

grubschumi13 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 19:56
A statement from the FIA read: “The Stewards reviewed video and telemetry evidence. Cars 33 [Verstappen] and 44 [Hamilton] entered turn 9 with Car 33 in the lead and Car 44 slightly behind and on the inside.

“Car 44 was on a line that did not reach the apex of the corner, with room available to the inside. When Car 33 turned into the corner, Car 44 did not avoid contact and the left front of Car 44 contacted the right rear of Car 33. Car 44 is judged predominantly at fault.”

Let's start with this. The Stewards judged Hamilton to be at predominantly fault, but with the added context is he took out his closest rival for the WDC and the race win. The penalty was kind in that it left in the hands of Mercedes the decision of when to take the penalty thus the ability to mitigate it and factor it into their strategy.

A stop go would obligate them to stop in 3 laps and not work on the car.
Predominantly, not solely. So there is a share of blame between the drivers.
And there is no context regarding who the drivers are. Doesn't matter whether it's front runners or back markers. Stewards don't (or at least they shouldn't) decide penalties based on the individuals involved. "Justice is blind" is a common idiom here. There is a bit of difference applied depending on the severity of the incident although that could be argued to be wrong too, but it's the way it is.
And Hamilton didn't "take out" anyone. Taking him out would have been a deliberate attempt to crash in to someone. Obviously neither driver wanted a crash here today.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Shrieker

Max drove onto Ham at Imola, Hamilton yielded. He did the same again in Catalunya, Hamilton yielded again. Max at this point probably thinks he can bully any driver ad infinitum.

It was only a matter of time until Hamilton said enough's enough. He put his nose in there, and told Max to turn in if you dare. Of course knowing Max, he thought Ham would yield again.

Wrong. And he paid dearly for it. He's not smart, and if he loses the title in the end, that'll be the only thing to blame.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk