2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, July 16 -18

Tizz wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:39
wesley123 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:36
Tizz wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:24
Just something else... In France and Austria, RB had less rear wing than Mercedes giving them top speed while not sacrificing too much in the corners. I assumed it was because the RB had more downforce from the floor and diffuser. But now all of a sudden RB had more rear wing then Hamilton. I wonder if that just was a consequence of running out of practice time or how this change came about ?
This was the same last year. Teams ran quite little wing for what is normally a downforce track. Basically just because of the Pirelli tires.

Running less wing than the competition meant that it would be more difficult to overtake him, and easier to overtake others.
But why did RB change strategy for this race ? For the reasons you gave, I see no logic in the decision.
they are giving up speed through the corners (and thus load/force/heat into the tires), in return they get higher speeds on the strait and better tire life.
197 104 103 7

Jolle

Looks like Hamilton did went for the apex. At least, trying.
Of course, it's the first lap, first time at speed with a full car, so probably quite some understeer.

Unf

Jolle wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:50
https://i.postimg.cc/wjBQ5tG1/Schermafb ... -45-34.png
https://i.postimg.cc/cJnYTfML/Schermafb ... -44-47.png

Of course, it's the first lap, first time at speed with a full car, so probably quite some understeer.
In other hand - in Hamilton and Wolf eyes, Verstappen was behind their car... :wtf:

Mogster

So that’s Max giving space there? The wheels are already interlocking. They’d already touched several times in the previous corners.

dans79

Unf wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:56
In other hand - in Hamilton and Wolf eyes, Verstappen was behind their car... :wtf:
Lewis Was referring to when they entered the braking zone, and he wasn't was off, as Lewis's wing was even with Maxes front tire. Most people wouldn't be correct all the time at those speeds with another car that close!
197 104 103 7

langedweil

Sad to see this forum go worse every race .. quite a bunch of weirdos around.
HuggaWugga !

Mogster

Yes. Initially Max can see Lewis as he’s far enough alongside. Lewis falls back slightly by about 1/4 car length. Max thinks he’s gone and moves over.

Indycar have spotters for this.

SmallSoldier

Jolle wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:50
https://i.postimg.cc/wjBQ5tG1/Schermafb ... -45-34.png
https://i.postimg.cc/cJnYTfML/Schermafb ... -44-47.png

In that second picture, it would seem as Max simply closing the door on Lewis.

We also need to consider that going into the corner, Max “pushed” Lewis into the right side of the track and only open a slightly before the turn (therefore, Lewis approach to the corner is already compromised).

Still think is just a racing incident

Jolle

Mogster wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:09
Yes. Initially Max can see Lewis as he’s far enough alongside. Lewis falls back slightly by about 1/4 car length. Max thinks he’s gone and moves over.

From the moment he could still see Hamilton himself to contact was so quick, you would be unable to communicate anything about having room or not.
It’s different on an oval, where speeds are higher but the speed between cars much lower.

Scorpaguy

Regardless of who should have given quarter, 3 things are quite evident:

1. Ham's move today was Max's signature move 3 years ago...Karma.
If it was a transgression (which I am not saying it was, I am no steward), 10 seconds is a joke, Ham likely could have made up double that with today's competition.

2. 2021 title fight...whoever is in front had better beware...you will get punted. Not a bad strategy I guess; assure your main competitor gets no points...the survivor can then salvage the day.

3. F1 has 2 great drivers currently, Ham and Max, nobody else seems to have the skills to overtake. Checo made Alb look good this weekend (no easy feat) and Bot was his usual speed-bump self. I believe it is time to start the clamor for Fred to get the other Merc/RB ride.

Ham and Max are giving us quite a show...making my $79 bucks quite worth it. Assuming Masi will step in and quell our enjoyment.

Jambier

Max did a big mistake :

- he needs to be agressive when he is the underdog

- here he was only on a position to lose something while HAM had everything to win

Max needs to learn how to manage a championship when you are ahead

I think this race will cost him the title, HAM clear favorite now with updated Mercedes and almost no gap in points

Sad for formula 1 2021, a VES title would had been refreshing

cooken

Mogster wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:09

Ah what? It happened in the blink of an eye how does a spotter do anything there? They both commit to their lines pretty early and given the speed there's hardly room or time for any correction afterwards. Seems to me Hamilton just slightly misjudged his grip level. Penalty seemed about right given.

Still dumbfounded by the amount of vitreol in here. Suggestions that Hamilton punted him deliberately...cripes.

El Scorchio wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 22:12
214270 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 21:53
Not sure what the verdict is on the whole race weekend. I don’t think there was anything there that elevated the spectacle personally.
Agree. Alonso’s stellar lap aside and Perez spin, the sprint race was extremely meh.

I said it on the other thread, but the only reason I’d want to see it again is to safeguard the future of the British GP by making more revenue for Silverstone.

Regardless of what happened in the race, it’s a magnificent venue and the British fans are a good as any in the world. Only the atmosphere in Italy is comparable, or Brazil in the Senna days.
Yes, great crowd and ambiance this weekend, but I still don’t quite understand what they’re solving for with this format. It wouldn’t spice things up at Monaco for instance, so what gives?

It also doesn’t make sense to me to fix the lap count at 17 for the sprint. Does it not make more sense to assign a lap amount which provides the requisite tyre jeapordy? If they didn’t fluke into these crazy high summer temps and it were 15deg lower it would’ve been an extremely boring sprint.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

RZS10

Tried to put together a composite image but i'm not really happy with it because i struggled to account for the camera pitch etc, what i mean by that is that i couldn't line it up perfectly using various objects from the seperate images as guidance ... anyways ... it's not completely off:
here's an imgur album with a few more with lines and the full corner (probably not all that precise), the full lines are based on their right wheels, the broken lines are just guesses.
https://imgur.com/a/NInVRVY
Last edited by RZS10 on 18 Jul 2021, 23:39, edited 1 time in total.

Tvetovnato

RZS10 wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:33
Tried to put together a composite image but i'm not really happy with it because i struggled to account for the camera pitch etc ... anyways ...
https://i.imgur.com/oQossKS.png
here's an imgur album with a few more with lines and the full corner (probably not all that precise), the full lines are based on their right wheels, the broken lines are just guesses.
https://imgur.com/a/NInVRVY
Footage like this makes it extremely hard, harder than ever to take Horner’s garbage seriously.