Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
LM10

Re: Ferrari Power Unit Hardware & Software

Don’t panic, Ferrari should have a bit more experience and knowledge in building engines than you and me. :lol: A thing which you don’t understand or don’t see the advantage in does not have to be a bad thing.

Also, what would you expect a split turbo to bring Ferrari in comparison to Mercedes and Honda? Why do you think that this is the only way to go? Especially considering that both other manufacturers have developed the split turbo design for many years now and have tons of more experience?

ryaan2904

LM10 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 19:03
Don’t panic, Ferrari should have a bit more experience and knowledge in building engines than you and me. :lol: A thing which you don’t understand or don’t see the advantage in does not have to be a bad thing.

Also, what would you expect a split turbo to bring Ferrari in comparison to Mercedes and Honda? Why do you think that this is the only way to go? Especially considering that both other manufacturers have developed the split turbo design for many years now and have tons of more experience?
I think you answered all yours questions in the first sentence, i really started panicking after reading that article #-o :lol:

tbh, if nothing else, a split turbo definitely brings 1. Packaging benefits/overall smaller engine
2. Colder intakes and subsequently, smaller intercoolers.
Also it brought so much success to honda, and now Renault's switching too..
CFD Eyes of Sauron

godlameroso

ryaan2904 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 20:05
LM10 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 19:03

I think you answered all yours questions in the first sentence, i really started panicking after reading that article #-o :lol:

tbh, if nothing else, a split turbo definitely brings 1. Packaging benefits/overall smaller engine
2. Colder intakes and subsequently, smaller intercoolers.
Also it brought so much success to honda, and now Renault's switching too..
Ferrari was worried that they would be at a disadvantage without a narrow nose and cape, but they were able to create an effective solution.
Saishū kōnā

ryaan2904

https://www.grandprix.com/news/other-en ... sseur.html

Ferrari engine "miles away" from the front. They better do something about it or I'm sure I'll be blowing a gasket or two next yr :x
CFD Eyes of Sauron

hape

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 17:03

Ferrari engine "miles away" from the front. They better do something about it or I'm sure I'll be blowing a gasket or two next yr :x
You can’t lead a Silverstone race for 50 laps with an engine that is “miles away” from the top.
I’m sure it is not as good as the Honda and Mercedes engines but in terms of lap times it is not that far off. Maybe Vasseur needed to cover up the sh*t work of their own engineering team.

ryaan2904

hape wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 17:20
ryaan2904 wrote:

You can’t lead a Silverstone race for 50 laps with an engine that is “miles away” from the top.
I’m sure it is not as good as the Honda and Mercedes engines but in terms of lap times it is not that far off. Maybe Vasseur needed to cover up the sh*t work of their own engineering team.
Yeah, but when one of the top guys got it together, they just outclassed us 1 sec a lap! That's too much. And that too on Ferrari's lucky day, considering the weather.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

codetower

ryaan2904 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 19:32
hape wrote:
ryaan2904 wrote:

Yeah, but when one of the top guys got it together, they just outclassed us 1 sec a lap! That's too much. And that too on Ferrari's lucky day, considering the weather.
What happened to the other 9 or so drivers using the engines that are "miles ahead" at Silverstone?

LM10

ryaan2904 wrote:
hape wrote:
ryaan2904 wrote:

What exactly is the point which surprises you about Ferrari's engine being miles behind of Mercedes and Honda? That's been known and expected from last season already when they were not only miles, but light years behind. This season they obviously still are behind, but less and working hard for 2022.

ryaan2904

codetower wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 21:19
ryaan2904 wrote:
hape wrote:

What happened to the other 9 or so drivers using the engines that are "miles ahead" at Silverstone?
True i suppose. I was surprised about bottas the most, he was nowhere in that race.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

ryaan2904

LM10 wrote:
30 Jul 2021, 23:25
ryaan2904 wrote:
hape wrote:

What exactly is the point which surprises you about Ferrari's engine being miles behind of Mercedes and Honda? That's been known and expected from last season already when they were not only miles, but light years behind. This season they obviously still are behind, but less and working hard for 2022.
Yeah, i read up and apparently they had zimmerman assigned specifically for the 2022 engine since September 2019

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... RKktu8Gqad

So hopefully they have something fire next year
CFD Eyes of Sauron

godlameroso

They're very confident in their lubricants. Shell/Quakerstate has some really good stuff just at a commercial level, so whatever they're using has to be good.
Saishū kōnā

tpe
tpe

Very smart move

wuzak

"The power unit Charles Leclerc used at the last race was his second, but Ferrari confirmed that was irreparably damaged in the first-lap crash at the start."

A lot of that going around at the moment.

djones

I thought upgrades were not allowed??