2022 Aerodynamic Regulations Thread

Here are our CFD links and discussions about aerodynamics, suspension, driver safety and tyres. Please stick to F1 on this forum.
Zynerji

Re: 2022 Aero Thread

Would it make sense then to have a converging nozzle to take what IS there, and at least have a "clean jet" of air that the following cars can get into to retain downforce? The diffusor relaminator that I described would remove 100% of the upwash leaving the diffusor, and make it all exit horizontally out of the rear...

Tommy Cookers

Zynerji wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:39
... The diffusor relaminator that I described would remove 100% of the upwash leaving the diffusor, and make it all exit horizontally out of the rear...
isn't the net aerodynamic force on a relaminator 'removing 100% of the upwash' called .... lift ?

Zynerji

Tommy Cookers wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 00:42
Zynerji wrote:
18 Jul 2021, 23:39
... The diffusor relaminator that I described would remove 100% of the upwash leaving the diffusor, and make it all exit horizontally out of the rear...
isn't the net aerodynamic force on a relaminator 'removing 100% of the upwash' called .... lift ?
No. It would still diffuse out the diffuser throat to the trailing edge of the diffusor volume. It would just be completely decoupled from the rear wing, and no longer throwing the air mass up and over a following car. Thus reducing downforce, and adding some drag, but leaving a clean wake.

Maybe the CFD gurus can post a CashApp address and I'd donate for a quick study run...

Vyssion
Moderator / Writer

Zynerji wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 01:51
Maybe the CFD gurus can post a CashApp address and I'd donate for a quick study run...
"And here you will stay, Gandalf the Grey, and rest from journeys. For I am Saruman the Wise, Saruman the Ring-maker, Saruman of Many Colours!"

#aerosaruman

"No Bubble, no BoP, no Avenging Crusader.... HERE COMES THE INCARNATION"!!"

Zynerji

Vyssion wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 12:11
Zynerji wrote:
19 Jul 2021, 01:51
https://ahseeit.com//king-include/uploa ... 039939.jpg
I've offered before, never got an inbox hit tho...

mclaren111

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFDlndQ ... l=FORMULA1

Nice video... Interesting Front Brakes...

jjn9128

I'm hard at work, hopefully will have a full description of the rules this month.

#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

mclaren111 wrote:
20 Jul 2021, 17:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFDlndQ ... l=FORMULA1

Nice video... Interesting Front Brakes...
35s in and already found something to be unhappy about... wake is the disturbed airflow which follows the car as it goes along the straight... no wake in corners? I know it's a tongue slip but they could do a 2nd take.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Slo Poke

The very thought of these 2022 cars horrifies me! I’ve enjoyed watching formula one since the mid late sixties but with what’s being offered up for next year, as stated appalls me.
The ground effect era really caught my attention but early on it quickly became apparent that the people involved with understanding and designing them had found a tiger’s tail in the long grass of the Serengeti and just pulled it. One or two drivers got hurt, cars were smashed and so they let it go, or that’s what the situation appeared to be. The team sponsored by the Gittanes cigarette company were actually christened, or were referred to as the porpoising car. Mainly because when watched closely their car was seen to porpoise as it traveled along the start finish straight at Monza. So that in itself proves that ground effect was powerful but because of lack of understanding it was banned and now we are to be regaled by the tentatively led cfd steps back to it. Well I’m sorry but I’m not falling for that rip-off.
I’ve watched, or tried to watch, a couple of the women’s races and it’s basically farcical. A typical spec series and no, I am not sexist. Boring as hell, exactly like e-racing, again boring as hell.
The formula one cars of next year are going to be far slower than what we have now and armed with less downforce we the paying public will be expected to cough up Sky - high prices to sit and watch atmospheric bulldozers each race, well again, I’m not falling for that rip-off.
Even the ever increasing thickness of the formula one rule book is a joke, or seems to be. I very early on formed the opinion that there was only one, true racing line through any corner. These days, it seems there must be two, at least! Where the second one is I have to admit I haven’t a clue? Take last weekend, the perfect example! One car exits a corner ahead of a following car that’s armed with a fancy gimmick and is able to draw almost alongside the car that was just ahead, trouble is, both cars are now right on top of another corner that both cars when alone on the approach could easily go around without use of brakes. As a remedy another rule needs to be thought up because it seems now the quibbling of, he didn’t leave me room, or, he didn’t respect my presence isn’t, doesn’t or won’t apply at all.
To cut a long story short, I can’t see these atmospheric bulldozers making any difference to what will amount to be a spec series procession. Aero isn’t the answer and neither is the rule book! The answer to watchable formula one and of the participation in it is in its name!

dans79

Slo Poke wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 01:56
The answer to watchable formula one and of the participation in it is in its name!
The problem is the "new" fans Liberty and the FIA want to draw in don't want to watch formula racing. Formula racing requires fans to be intelligent and engaged in details. The new fans are just looking for something they think will be dramatic, that can slot into the gaps between their favorite reality tv shows.
197 104 103 7

Slo Poke

dans79 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 02:38
Slo Poke wrote:
The answer to watchable formula one and of the participation in it is in its name!
The problem is the "new" fans Liberty and the FIA want to draw in don't want to watch formula racing. Formula racing requires fans to be intelligent and engaged in details. The new fans are just looking for something they think will be dramatic, that can slot into the gaps between their favorite reality tv shows.
Dans79:
So..! Judging by what you’ve pointed out to me, there’s no hope at all of formula one ever being of any/much interest after this year then?
I mean X1 type racing was only ever a ridiculous wet dream then! Well I never?

BlueCheetah66

Slo Poke wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 03:19
dans79 wrote:
21 Jul 2021, 02:38
Slo Poke wrote:
Dans79:
So..! Judging by what you’ve pointed out to me, there’s no hope at all of formula one ever being of any/much interest after this year then?
I mean X1 type racing was only ever a ridiculous wet dream then! Well I never?
Sadly I feel like this is the case. For example, when the new car renders and model were released, I saw many, I assume new fans, sad that there was little signs of DRS. Obviously there still is DRS but it shows they'd rather see many generic overtakes into one corner at the end of a straight

Zynerji

If that appears to happen, the race director can disable DRS.

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 04:37
Can you imagine the explosion in the race thread if DRS was disabled "for the show" just after a leading protagonist had benefitted from it? Driver A uses DRS to get by Driver B. DRS then disabled by the race director because "overtaking is too easy". Driver B unable to fight back.

Oh my! There would be absolute meltdown. Steven's team of mods would be busy for days clearing that thread up. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

bosyber

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 09:29
Zynerji wrote:
22 Jul 2021, 04:37
Can you imagine the explosion in the race thread if DRS was disabled "for the show" just after a leading protagonist had benefitted from it? Driver A uses DRS to get by Driver B. DRS then disabled by the race director because "overtaking is too easy". Driver B unable to fight back.

Oh my! There would be absolute meltdown. Steven's team of mods would be busy for days clearing that thread up. :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was 'involved' in such a discussion about DRS in that someone (a few) wondered about whether DRS was even part of the rules for next year (given they didn't see an obvious way in which that mock-up had engineering for it). I didn't read much if any comments hoping it would be retained, just uncertainty (and maybe hope!) about it maybe being gone bc. we have red quite a few indications that DRS would be retained next year.

I hope that it won't be needed any more. But yeah, no DRS is not going to be disabled like that during the race I'd think; at most they will 'evaluate' it, then decide to keep it bc. of the extra stats, or who knows, be swayed by teams that might want to get rid of it for cost reasons to then disallow it after 2025 or so :)